If there was no way to run Windows on a Mac....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HLdan, Feb 12, 2009.

?

If there was no way to run Windows would you have bought a Mac?

1. Yes

83 vote(s)
    89.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Would you have bought a Mac? With the growing number of Apple's customer base just curious about how many people are really interested in the Mac OS as their primary OS and not just the pretty hardware?

2. Dale124 macrumors member

I bought a Mac to get the hell away from the b.s. of windows. I got really tired of some of the controlling/ all-knowing aspects of microsoft. So far, I'm loving the Mac:D. I will never install windows on it.
    dale.

3. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Of course. I want my mac for OS X, not for Windows, and nowadays all the programs I need work with OS X.

4. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

Count me as one more buying a Mac, to get away from the MS Monopoly

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Haha look noone voted No.
    If you asked this on a more balanced forum you might get a more balanced view. Its like asking people on death row if they think the death penalty should be legal.

I think the next step for Apple is to follow where a few other Unix based operating systems have gone and begin to support the installing of Windows Apps natively or even by native emulation.

6. cerhard macrumors member

I try not to use Windows unless I really have no other choice.

7. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I voted no.. Because I need windows for shcool and windows development.

Though if I could run it in a VM still, that would probably change my mind ;)

8. Tunasa macrumors newbie

For day to day use, leopard seems to be more than enough for me. I have say that the game selection is small though. But I kind a know it when I decided to buy macbook.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

My first Mac was a Power Mac G5 that I bought five years ago. So no, the ability to run Windows only adds a nice perk by broadening my selection of games. I bought a Mac because I wanted a Mac.

10. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    Like other posters, I bought a Mac because a Mac is what I wanted! I don't run Windows on either of my machines and I don't see a point when I will. The Mac does everything I need it to and I use a console for my gaming!

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

duh of course. i am a MacBoi, been using them all my life. so of course i bought it for being a mac only computer. i dont care for windows.

12. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

Definitely yes! I'm willing to buy a desktop with windows rather than install windows on my Mac...

13. olliea95 macrumors regular

olliea95

There is not a single Windows program I could not live without. Generally all I do is homework (using office:mac or iWork) and MSN (using AdiumX).

OS X is the reason I bought my mac

14. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I use macs since 1991 and my next computer will be a mac too. At home my wife wanted a Pc so I bought her one and she mainly uses it for things one can do on a mac (mail, internet, text processing ...)

15. acxz macrumors regular

Yes. I wanted to get away from Windows, I didn't pay the Apple premium just so I could still be tied down to Windows.

16. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Yes. I purchased my MacBook because I preferred the macs at my old job/college to the Windows desktop I had at home.

The time came for me to purchase a notebook for graduate school and I knew then that as long as I had to pay for the machine, it would be a mac.

17. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

OS X is why I paid more for older hardware. It's Unix done right. I don't buy the "Apples have use better components" argument. I use to fix them for a living, before all these Apple stores cropped up and put the indie service providers out of business.:D:D I saw the same components in the Macs as in the PCs back then. I still see the same components in them today. More so with the switch to Intel.:rolleyes: To paraphrase the Russian cosmonaut in Armageddon, "Macs, PCs...all made in Taiwan.";)

The only use I have for Windows is gaming.:D

Comparing OS X to Windows, that's comparing Unix to Eunuchs.;)

18. desiringGod macrumors regular

If I could not have transferred Word and Excel documents from PC to Mac, then I wouldn't have bought one. But being able to run windows is not a deal killer.

19. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I actually had to vote No. While I'd still have a Mac personally, I wouldn't have been able to justify buying them at work - we use Windows in a VM on quite a few of the Macs for browser compatibility testing and, for me personally, payroll and e-banking.

Thanks to the switch to Intel and the raft of really good VM software it allowed, I've been able to take my whole company Mac - and am reaping the rewards of simple management and increased productivity as a result :)

P.S. We're not a design company, which, I would think, makes the fact that Mac is our primary platform quite rare - though decreasingly so I would imagine, I mean we've had such a positive experience going Mac it's hard to imagine other SME's wont be swayed.

20. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

If I couldn't have run Windows, I wouldn't have bought an Intel Mac. I would have stuck with PPC.

I need Windows for work and it's nice to have one system that does everything.

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I still would have bought the Mac.

Another interesting question: if there were no way to run Windows on a Mac, would you keep your old PC in addition to your new Mac? (I would have kept mine)

22. yoppie macrumors 6502a

My mom uses my old Windows machine. I probably would have still given it to her since I have little use for it. I only log into Windows twice a year for exam period. I would have borrowed a friend/relative's notebook for the week (it's what I did during exam period my first year of grad school).

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

I still have an old Dell laptop (650 mhz) that I had before I switched to Mac. I kept it since I still have one program on it that I might want to run again, and while a Mac version is available, I didn't want to spend the money on it since I haven't used the program in 2 years. Anyway, who wants a 650 mhz Dell laptop?

I bought a Mac to get away from the hassle of Windows. I don't have to pay for anti-virus subscriptions, firewalls, extra software, large bottles of Excedrin, and lots of brandy.

24. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

25. sputacus macrumors regular

I would not buy a Mac if I couldn't run Windows on it. As much as I want to get away from Microsoft, they are a necessary evil for work. Plus two of my favorite non-work related applications are Windows only. I almost bought a Macbook four years ago with "Virtual PC" to run my Windows applications. But Virtual PC's reviews were so bad, especially after Microsoft acquired it, that I decided to stay with Dell.

There have been several in my office the past 18 or so months that have made the switch to Macs, using Parallels to run Windows. When I saw their machines running Windows faster than the PC machines, I was hooked. So I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of my first Mac!!!