If there's no LTE this year.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikelegacy, Jun 3, 2011.

1. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

My contract is up this year, I'm a tech junkie and don't like holding on to tech for too long. I just don't know if I can last another year on my IP4 and I really don't want to lock into another 2 year plan without a 4G phone. I really banking on this LTE thing.

Would anyone else switch to an Android phone just for one cycle until Apple gets their wits and comes out with an LTE phone?

I know, it's crazy. I hate Android, but I feel the need to have LTE. Anyone else?

2. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

There might be a 12 step program for that. You should consider it. if you are jonesing for tech you are in a losing proposition already. Before it comes out in the marketplace it is already obsolete technologically.

I have apple because I like apple the company. I like the apple phone. I like the ipad. I like the desktop computer iMac. Thats why I have them. The imac is 4 years old and works amazingly well. I do not want to get new just because it's new.

That will make a pauper out of you and you will never be happy until you learn to appreciate what you have and keep it long enough to appreciate it.

3. daleycss macrumors regular

That was probably the most beautiful lines I have ever heard from an apple fan. And I completely 100% agree.

4. kre62 macrumors 68020

As much as I like Apple and have defended the iPhone, if they dont get their sh.. together soon I'm out. They are getting crushed right now. If there isn't at minimum a 4S at WWDC, i'm looking elsewhere (hate android, but maybe WinPho7). In reality, there should be an LTE iPhone announced at WWDC, with availability in 2-3 weeks. Even then they would be slightly behind the curve, but at least it wouldn't be a blowout like it is now.

5. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you seriously expect an LTE iPhone this year you truly do not understand how Apple works.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, I don't think we'll see a LTE iPhone this year.

7. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I definitely appreciate what I have, especially when it comes to computers, but it's different with mobile phones.

You are mistaking me for someone who is going through major withdrawls or something. I definitely can live, and be completely happy with the tech I have, but it doesn't mean I won't have a desire to have what's new and in.

That being said, I live a very mobile life, therefore mobile devices are definitely the most important thing to me in accordance with being up to date.

I'm not a crazy person who can't be happy if he doesn't have the next tech, but with all the hype over LTE, it's hard not to get consumed in it.

I never said I expected an LTE phone. I actually DON'T.

I didn't make this thread for suggestions on what to do, or what to get, it is more for discussion on what other people in my situation (contract ending this year) are going to do (get LTE Android, or stay iPhone).

8. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

You should learn more about LTE and how it isn't all it is cracked up to be ---yet.

I have seen many phones come out with the newest thing. and then find out that thing doesn't do much at all. 4G doesn't mean ZOOM.

I know thats what people want. zoom download. zoom upload. zoom everything. I saw the same thing when cable modems first came out for desktops. Every little software upgrade was hyped as more and more and more.

It seldom is.

9. mikelegacy thread starter macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Well 5-10 Mbps is definitely better than the 2.5 i'm getting now, so I'm sold.

10. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Why do you need LTE? It's no fundamental paradigm shift in mobile technology - just a faster version of what's already in your iPhone 4. The 4G tag is a misnomer.

Given that most networks can't provide the bandwidth to backup the existing 7.2mbps modems over here I doubt ramping up the network speed would help any.

11. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Not sure why LTE is such a big deal...
    With this kind of coverage right now, I am not sure I will go with LTE devices in the first place. First generation of these chipsets are not going to be good enough to meet apple's standards.

AT&T has no LTE coverage. They will launch with 5 markets.
    Verizon has better coverage, but still not covering in many areas. By the time, LTE becomes widely available in big markets, it will be 2012.

In other words, what good is the LTE phone without a decent coverage?

12. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Won't run any faster because your processor is slowing you down. It's like driving a toyota (3g) and ferrari (LTE) in traffic. They both go the same speed for web browsing.

13. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

What's wrong with the lower end of that range that HSPA+ promises?

No one's forcing you to buy the next iPhone anyway. Don't like it, then just move on-- someone else will buy one in place of you.

14. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

LTE doesn't exist in that many places yet, so even if you have such a phone it won't necessarily help you in your location. That said, I'm sure we will see the next version of the iPhone (September, probably) marketed as a 4G phone even if it isn't simply because that is the sort of dishonesty we're getting from AT&T right now. And if you think that "4G" = "LTE", well all the better for them for that is the association they want you to have in your mind.

However, for a self-proclaimed tech junkie, Apple is not the phone manufacturer for you. You would be happier in the Android camp where you can swap handsets every few months as you chase your tech high.

As for the iPhone "getting crushed", in what universe? The iPhone is the most popular smart phone model on the planet.

15. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

If LTE is that important to you (and the subsequent battery drain), enjoy your Android device, because last time I checked, you have a choice of any of three Android devices on Verizon. Can't recall hearing of a single LTE capable WP7 device coming to market anytime soon. Three whole available devices--wouldn't exactly call that a blowout.

On a side note, I've been playing around with a WP7 for a couple of days, admittedly better than I expected--very smooth with no lag and a few nice features that I wouldn't mind having in iOS but overall still behind iOS, most significantly with their App Marketplace and syncing capabilities (especially for Mac users). The upcoming Mango update will help but still has some ground to cover before IMO it's comparable.

16. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

This. And what type of content would even require LTE in the foreseeable future?

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I'm not too bothered about LTE/4G - when I am doing any heavy duty surfing I am always near WiFi. It's fast, available virtually everywhere in my town and is cheap (indeed, usually free or already paid for by my internet subscription to BT).

Does any carrier in the US have something like BTFon (you allow access to your wireless hub in exchange for access to all of the other hubs registered in BTFon programme)?

18. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

It seems as if your priorities are in a strange order. You value LTE over everything else?
    /boggle

19. Cali4ever macrumors member

Right? You must live in a small town. I am in Southern California, I travel to Dallas Fort Worth 2 to 3 times a month, BothVZW LTE areas. And the LTE is FAST! I can get anywhere from 12Mbps to 52Mbps in Both Dallas and Los Angeles depending on time of day.

How fast is your att iphone getting LOL! :D

20. Cali4ever macrumors member

LTE is in Every major Big City, so Every city with a NFL team has LTE. Smaller cities don't have LTE. I don't go to small towns as i am done with small town living.

21. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

I think HSPA+ would be enough to sell me on the next-gen iPhone. Apps like Netflix and YouTube are already very solid for me over 3G. Plus, LTE would have me far more likely to bust my 2 GB cap I would imagine.

22. sfjava macrumors member

Agree. Apple is NOT going to use dual radio chips, one for 3G and another for LTE. Dual radio chips are a waste of resources - battery, motherboard space, and radiation.

23. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Your epeen must be huge.
    Compensation?

24. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Good for you. But you verify my point, even if it no longer applies to you.

25. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Great.

What could you possibly need 12Mbps to 52Mbps for on a phone?