IF unlimited data is true for verizon iphone....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jvmxtra, Jan 10, 2011.

1. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

that means no LTE for verizon iphone.. at least this year.. right?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't see the correlation. Can you explain your reasoning for this?

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

LTE plans have a tiered pricing structure.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I've heard that is confirmed, but since all we have is rumors about the iPhone on Verizon, why wouldn't a Verizon iPhone support CDMA and LTE? I assume its too premature for a phone to rely exclusively on LTE. Maybe I'm wrong though. Couldn't the phone support unlimited 3G and upgraded tiered pricing for LTE?

5. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

AT&T already stated that an LTE iPhone isn't coming out until to 2012.

6. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Why couldn't Verizon make an exception to the tiered data plans? I mean, they could say, buy an iphone with us and get unlimited LTE data plan for "x" amount of money a month. It would be a great draw.

AT&T has made a ton of exceptions in the past for its iphone user base and pricing structures etc...

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying the iphone will be LTE enabled, just that you can't really assume one from the other.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

So AT&T isn't getting an LTE iPhone until 2012. What's stopping Verizon from getting one?

I completely agree. This is absolutely another possibility.

8. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

The Verizon iPhone will be CDMA based with an optional SIM card for world travel (to make it a world phone). You can 100% guarantee that when the iPhone gets LTE it will be backward compatible with HSPA as to not prevent millions of people from getting it right away. That being said, there is no way that Apple releases an LTE iPhone for Verizon and makes AT&T wait 1.5 yrs for the same technology (especially with the fact that it will be backward compatible). Therefore, based on the fact that AT&T said no LTE iPhone until 2012, we can come to the conclusion that the Verizon iPhone being announced tomorrow will NOT have LTE.

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Time-and-time again Apple has butted heads with AT&T. It wouldn't surprise me if they gave them another jab by saying, "Since AT&T's infrastructure isn't ready for LTE, we decided to release it at Verizon instead." Although no LTE wouldn't surprise me either. Actually, I don't think I'd be surprised if Verizon didn't get the iPhone at all.

10. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

Apple.

11. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Absolutely not. This would simply be a "dumb" decision from a financial perspective. It would force Apple to make 3 new iPhone radios instead of 2. If they have already built an LTE iPhone, why would they hold it back from AT&T this year!? It would cost them more to have to build a radio for AT&T this year and a NEW radio next year. If they're already building the LTE radio for Verizon, it would save them money to use the same radio in the AT&T iPhone. It's not happening and I would bet anything you want on it.

12. jvmxtra thread starter macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I am just assuming unlimited data offer means no LTE.(but then unlimited = LTE = $$$$$$$$$$ per month.. but maybe as an option)

13. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

If I'm Verizon I leave the unlimited option available for all devices that are only 3G. Any device that is 4G (LTE) capable will be required to move to tiered data. That's why I believe the current generation iPhone will be 3G and have the option for unlimited data.

14. circusbass macrumors regular

IF unlimited data is true for Verizon iPhone does that mean AT&T would be likely to offer that option again for new users? Not just grandfathered in customers? Having an iPhone 4 with out unlimited data is very limiting. If I couldn't have unlimited data I would be too focused on usage to truly enjoy my phone.

I was worried that it might be eliminated completely when my contract is up for renewal but this has me thinking it will still be around.

15. Retrosonic macrumors regular

Lte

Yea, as much as I would dearly LOVE to see it, I just cant imagine that they are ready with an LTE / CDMA phone for the launch. The initial Veriphone will probably be CDMA all the way, with a dual LTE / CDMA phone available next Jan. At least , thats the way I see it.

16. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

LTE = 2012 for AT&T and Vz IMHO.

With tiered pricing and new contracts.

17. pesos macrumors 6502a

pesos

While I think it unlikely from the perspective of Apple not wanting to provide LESS reason for people to upgrade down the road, I would imagine that Verizon would definitely WANT an LTE/cdma iphone asap... because it would relieve stress on the CDMA network in areas where LTE is available, and allow for simul. voice/data right?

18. stewart715 macrumors 6502

Just saw on the FOX NY that the plan will remain at $29.99 a month for unlimited data.

19. thetexan macrumors 6502a

The only LTE plans right now are for aircard devices, which have always had tiered data. Nobody has any idea what Verizon's plans are for LTE phones and the data plans. It could be the same pricing to be competitive, they could charge $10 more per month like Sprint does, or they could have tiered data. As of right now it's all unsure.

20. kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

And add the HSPA+ radio for at&t they have to add in addition to the LTE one.

21. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

It would be a ridiculously good draw but there is little to no chance of that happening

They will want to screw consumers as much as possible with their so-called next generation wireless system.

22. NKT macrumors regular

Just to clarify, LTE modem data plans are tiered (i.e. $50/80). Smartphone plans haven't been released yet for the LTE phones.

It would be logical to assume that the smartphone plas would stay unlimited while the data plans stay tiered since that's how it's been with the 3G plans. That's not to say they can't/won't change it, but based off what they've done in the past...

23. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

I'd like to see some real world download speeds for AT&T's HSPA+. I may not even worry about LTE for a few years if the HSPA+ can deliever at least a 10meg download speed. Plenty fast enough for HD video to my phone and anything else i'll need for awhile.

24. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

HD video on your phone? You can't be serious. I am a movie buff and have tons of blu-ray movies. I watch 98% of all my shows in HD. HD on a screen the size of the iPhone is null and void. So why would you need 10meg download speeds for it?

Let me guess, you plan on tethering to your laptop or what have you and watch movies there right?

25. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

OK, i think my point didnt get out right. I'm just saying everyone is talking up LTE but why does anyone , right now, need that much speed when HSPA+ can deliever as much as any phone will need for a few years. And i used HD video as an example since its bandwidth intensive. How you got I was comparing Bluray and HD on a phone I have no idea. We all know the IP4 display isnt BluRay Quality. but compared to 3GS video, IP4 video is "HD". anyway, i think my point didnt come out as good as i planned it.