Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Besides the people who would switch (or switch back) to Verizon...

I suspect there's even more people who never left Verizon, who would be potential sales.

Although I hope Verizon never gets the iPhone. I like Slinging without worrying about bandwidth competition, on my business phone :)

Leave the congestion of the web surfing masses on ATT, please.

Oman

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
So, your wanting to leave AT&T isn't based on service or technology, it's based on politics/philosophy? Not wanting to sound smarmy, I'm just trying to understand...

My willingness to leave At&T is not about politics nor a philosophy I or they hold, it is about having applications available to me that are not currently available to be used in the way I would like to use it. You can say that is a technological based disagreement. I have no problems with Apple rejecting Application for function duplication, I do have a problem with Apple rejecting Apps at the beheast of a Telco, because their network can not handle the traffic. If the iPhone community is split between various telco's it would free up traffic on At&t and that could possibly mean they would be ok with sling over their cellular network, which also means more programs could be built to stream live video from the iPhone 3GS and intergrated in various apps. the possibilities are limitless, however the telco's networks have their limits.

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
actually, thinking about it I do have verizon on my iphone. at least for data. I use the mifi and I dropped my att data. so it works great for me. I am contemplating just going completely prepaid for my phone service though and i'd love it if I could use verizon for that

SysAdmNj

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2009
I recently switched from a Tmobile blackberry to a Verizon blackberry and so far the experience with Verizon as far as speeds/data coverage has been superior. I'd switch to the iphone if it came over to Verizon.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I would switch in a heartbeat. Verizon has much better service than AT&T in Southern California and my work offers a discount for Verizon but not AT&T.

My willingness to leave At&T is not about politics nor a philosophy I or they hold, it is about having applications available to me that are not currently available to be used in the way I would like to use it. You can say that is a technological based disagreement. I have no problems with Apple rejecting Application for function duplication, I do have a problem with Apple rejecting Apps at the beheast of a Telco, because their network can not handle the traffic. If the iPhone community is split between various telco's it would free up traffic on At&t and that could possibly mean they would be ok with sling over their cellular network, which also means more programs could be built to stream live video from the iPhone 3GS and intergrated in various apps. the possibilities are limitless, however the telco's networks have their limits.

I think you will find, regardless of the telco carrier, there will be restrictions on the type of applications. There would have to be. Verizon isn't exactly known to be a free-for-all themselves...

The grass isn't always greener.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Title could also be

If pigs flew would you fly on one1 till it happens doesn't matter. I am sure with Verizon there will be thongs to bitch about too. My personal verizon experance wasn't great. People wantvwhat they can't have like MMS how many cried for it now say wasn't worth it. Another bs thread.

bubba8739

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2009
No. I just switched from T-Mobile to AT&T. T-Mobile has very low coverage, and is on GPRS where I live, AT&T has full coverage and is on 3G where I live and has good coverage throughout the whole state ( Texas). I would NOT switch to Verizon because they do not have good service in my area, plus they "dumb down" their phones with that ridiculous red os.

skyfreedom

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
I probably would switch but only if Verizon dropped their VCRAP (VCAST), plus im sure that they would want a cut from the app store. Greedy provider fo shoo!:mad:

kdarling

macrumors P6
I think you will find, regardless of the telco carrier, there will be restrictions on the type of applications. There would have to be. Verizon isn't exactly known to be a free-for-all themselves...
Compared to ATT, Verizon is a free-for-all on their smartphones.

Verizon's data plan contract allows remote video viewing (Sling) and VOIP.

Verizon Data Plans and Features:
Permitted Uses. You can use our Data Plans and Features for accessing the Internet and for such uses as:
(i) Internet browsing;
(ii) e-mail;
(iii) intranet access (including accessing corporate intranets, e-mail and individual productivity applications made available by your company);
(iv) uploading, downloading and streaming of audio, video and games; and
(v) Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).
At least, right now it does. Who knows if they'd want to restrict millions of new iPhone users:

We further reserve the right to take measures to protect our network and other users from harm, compromised capacity or degradation in performance. These measures may impact your service, and we reserve the right to deny, modify or terminate service, with or without notice, to anyone we believe is using Data Plans or Features in a manner that adversely impacts our network.

sangs

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2009
We just switched from Verizon to AT&T two months ago - because we all wanted iPhones. And I have to say, as far as network coverage goes, nothing has changed. It's strong in the same areas we frequent regularly in NJ and NYC as it was with Verizon -- and vice versa. I did notice when attending a U2 concert last week at Giants Stadium that I could not make or receive a call for a good five minute period. Talked with a friend (using Verizon) that attended the show and he said he'd had a similar problem. So sounds like it wasn't just AT&T. Not saying I'd never switch back (pricing deals perhaps), but am not clamoring for Verizon to get the iPhone.

Compared to ATT, Verizon is a free-for-all on their smartphones.

Verizon's data plan contract allows remote video viewing (Sling) and VOIP.

What VZW would offer to any iPhone users is complete speculation, as it has not happened. I'm not saying VZW would be better or worse that AT&T -- it's just silly and overoptimistic to assume all would be happiness and cakes.

Edit: I posted before you were done. Agreed, we don't know what they would have to do to curtail a few million data-guzzling iPhones.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm happy with ATT. The coverage is good, the service is good and I get a discount thanks to my employer. I've been on verizon before and while they weren't bad, they were no better then ATT

avediswolf

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Ohio
I wouldn't switch back to verizon if they were the last cell company on earth.

If they had ended up with exclusive on the iPhone, and AT&T didn't, I'd hate to say, I'd never have an iPhone.

What good would it be if I couldn't use it... Verizon service is terrible in my area. I was happy to pay early termination fees.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
No way! I paid to get rid of them and will never go back. Two tin cans with a string would work better then their service. :eek:

crpercodani

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2009
I would switch immediately, AT&T hasn't put 3G in my area yet but VZW has EVDO REV-A with speeds around 800kbps, a lot faster then the average 120kbps I get on Edge with AT&T. Plus with Boston being the first market to get LTE next year I would hope it will extend to western MA where I am located.
If AT&T had 3G here I would most likely stay with them, I have no personal preference between the 2 carriers and the prices are basically the same.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
If pigs flew would you fly on one1 till it happens doesn't matter. I am sure with Verizon there will be thongs to bitch about too. My personal verizon experance wasn't great. People wantvwhat they can't have like MMS how many cried for it now say wasn't worth it. Another bs thread.

I only bitch about "thongs" if they're on fat, ugly chicks. :) love those typos!!

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
It would depend on how much time I spent off the interstate system in the upper midwest and mountain states where gsm coverage is poor. Meaning, that a verizon phone couldn't be limited to lte

BigRitz

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2009
In Half a Heart Beat!

YES! I would without a doubt. AT&T coverage in my town (Columbus Ohio) is not as good as other states. I dropped my iPhone a while back and switched to a Verizon product and now LOVE the coverage but miss my old iPhone.

JabbaMac

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2009
I would definitely switch back, but would probably wait to see how the VZ network handles the increased usage.

I switched from VZ where I had maybe 1 or 2 dropped calls a year, to AT&T where I have at least 1 to 2 dropped calls a day. It's very frustrating. Maybe it's a ploy to get people to pay for unlimited texting. I find myself texting a lot more because of so many failed or dropped calls.

I find it interesting that the people I talk to who have always had AT&T think some dropped calls are acceptable, probably because they have never known any better. People I talk to who switched from VZ are more pissed because there where hardly ever any dropped calls. Not to mention the fact that it sometimes takes from 1-hour to 24-hours for my texts to go through, but that's a whole differnt can of worms...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.