If white iPhone is indeed coming...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMJustAGuy, Jan 18, 2011.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I understand that this is a rumor site and we don't have official news on anything yet, but the little leaks that have been coming from here and there are making me wonder if we might actually see one soon. That being said, do you think that since "a white iPhone is coming out" soon that we really may not see iPhone 5 on it's normal launch cycle in June/July? It just seems a little odd to me.

Just wanting to know everyones' thoughts/$.02.

-Dale.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I doubt we'll see a white iPhone 4. I would laugh if in June they released the white iPhone 4 and left it that way until June 2012 then updated both carriers.

3. iMJustAGuy, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Being an Apple/technology freak I ALWAYS want a new product and am even surprised at myself as I type this out, but I would be more than happy with iPhone 4 for another year. It brings so much to the table. Yeah, battery life could be improved, and maybe some spec bumps, but this thing is a solid device and I couldn't ask for much more at this point. If they do decide to continue with iPhone 4 this year, I would want a complete redesign next year though to keep things fresh. What is it that you want in a new phone this year and couldn't wait until next?

I'm not saying, by any means, that this will happen. But IF they are releasing white iPhone in a month or so it would be so dumb to also release iPhone 5 4 months later.

PS: I WANT THAT AVATAR! HAHAHAHA.

4. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Why should the release of the white iPhone 4 affect the release of iPhone 5 in any way? It's just another colour option for sale. iPhone 5 is still on track for the June/July release. Plus, there's plenty of time between end-February and June/July.

5. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Why would they spend more money manufacturing a "new" product when this one has not stopped (many, if any) people from getting the iPhone anyway JUST to release a new one 3 months later. It doesn't make sense.

6. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Who knows, maybe it'll be exclusive to Verizon in order to compensate for the fact that AT&T will be the only carrier to get iPhone 5 come June/July?

7. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

VZW would raise hell if they were being forced to launch with "old" technology. I don't know what's going to happen as far as ATT/VZW/White iPhone/iPhone 5 but I can almost guarantee that AT&T will not be getting something that VZW won't. I have nothing to back that theory up but it just seems extremely unlikely. It is possible, however, that (like you said) white will launch as a gimmick/selling point on VZW only.

8. hcho3 macrumors 68030

At this point, I would hope apple would just cancel out white iphone 4 and focus on iPad 2 and iPhone 5. If you want white iphone, then wait and wait some more.

Apple cannot afford to miss new iphone release this summer. They only release one iphone model per year while we see dozens of android phones come out every damn months. Apple has to release iphone 5 this summer to fight the competition. iPhone 4 won't be outdated anytime so soon and it will support full iOS 5.0 and beyond.
    Personally, I am waiting for next iphone.

9. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

I don't think there's necessarily that much evidence available that says that the iPhone 5 is "still on track for the June/July release."

I think that the point the OP brought up is very interesting. It seems, with all of the increased white iPhone rumors we're seeing, that we'll be seeing the white iPhone 4 make an appearance soon. It would be very strange, IMO, for Apple to release it and then within a few months release the iPhone 5.

What if the white iPhone 4 really is what will be showcased at WWDC? (I know, it's a stretch.) But I think it's definitely a possibility. With the Verizon iPhone 4 being released next month, I think that Apple is planning on keeping the 4 around until next year.

10. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

No. To even suggest that Apple would keep the iPhone 4 as their flagship device until next year is extremely short-sighted. In the absence of competition, it may have had merit. But with Android hot on Apple's heels, they absolutely have to release a new iPhone this year.

Now then, they could potentially release the iPhone 5 a little later this year instead of June, but that would still be very much unlike Apple. Regarding the white iPhone 4, I would certainly agree that it's a bit odd to release the white model shortly before the release of iPhone 5. On the other hand, Apple always continues to sell the older model when a new model is released.

Perhaps the iPhone 4 will continue to be available in black and white and at a discounted price after the iPhone 5 is released? That would make the most sense to me. There's a good number of people that would choose a $50-100 iPhone 4 over a $200 iPhone 5 if they are given the option. After all, iPhone 4 will continue to get the iOS updates for some time to come. Furthermore, it would make even more sense if iPhone 5 is just an iterative upgrade, such as an iPhone 4S or something to that effect.

PS - Of course, there's certainly the possibility that Verizon will have to wait until next year for the iPhone 5. But there's no way Apple will pass on upgrading the iPhone on AT&T this year.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm hoping the white iPhone doesn't hold back the next iPhone (since I'm looking to upgrade from a 3GS :cool:)
    I read that it should be coming by March, and if it is, I don't understand why Apple would spend money in the production of the iPhone 4 white if a next generation is coming out a few months later.

Thoughts/opinions?

12. stu00a macrumors member

Because next iPhone is not coming a few months later.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Historically, the iPhone has been updated in June. What do you mean it won't be coming in the next few months?

14. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Can't say there would be any chance that Apple would mess with their yearly release. People rely upon Apple to release a new version every year at the same time. No way would Apple want to tarnish it's image and damage it's customer loyalty by pulling a fast one on them and not release the iPhone 5 on time.

I do believe that they will come out with a white iPhone 4 in Feb or March for sure (the best buy leak + Apple saying it will be released in the Spring).

Apple is a company that wants what it wants and doesn't want to be told that "it cant be done" (manufacturing a pure white iPhone). They have seen how popular the white macbook and white iPhone 3gs is and they want to extend that same level of beauty to the iPhone 4. And they will :D

I personally can't WAIT for the white iPhone. Most beautiful phone I've ever seen :drools:

15. TimShady macrumors member

If they do in fact release a white iPhone 4, I think the next phone will be a "4s" or whatever you want to call it and have the same body/design as the 4 but with a faster processor/more memory/better camera/whatever.

In other words they'd still be able to use the white body what it's taken so long to produce. Either that or they just make the white iPhone 4 available in 8GB form for $99 in the summer. Maybe both, who knows?

16. possumwater macrumors regular

possumwater

I would rather them hold out and get the iOS beefed up, all while making an amazing new iPhone 5 later. Android (an OS) isn't releasing phones. Companies who are eager to knock out the iPhone are. If they wait 6 months from the expected release date, polished the new tech they are developing, improved iOS, I'd be a happy camper.

17. possumwater macrumors regular

possumwater

+1
    Would make more sense to me...

18. Wierac21 macrumors newbie

19. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

It blows my mind how many people think iPhone 5 will not come out. Apple is HUGE. They have been working on iPhone 5 since the day iPhone 4 came out. That is not just how Apple works, that is how every place works. Think Nintendo put GameCube out and sat around for a few year? They began work on Wii immediately! I use that example because I know it to be fact from some old interview, but I'm not going to go fishing around for a link. :p

The iPhone has been on a yearly cycle for 4 year. A change of color and/or antenna will change that? Fat Chance.

20. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

You do all realize that the white iPhone 4 is just that, a white iPhone 4

It doesn't do anything the black one doesn't do, releasing it is NOT a "launch" of a new product. It is the SAME phone in a different color. There is nothing "odd" about continuing to sell the SAME phone with another color until the NEW one is actually launched regardless of how close the dates are.

Again, there is nothing special about the white iPhone 4, it's a different color. If it comes out a month before the iPhone 5 it's totally meaningless, you would be able to get the SAME phone in 2 colors now a month before a new iPhone, so what?

21. TimShady macrumors member

Where the confusion comes in is, why would Apple go through all the trouble of manufacturing a white iPhone 4 and then discontinuing it a couple months later to make way for a different phone? Unless, of course, they will continue to use it, like a said in my previous post.

22. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Because we just entered 2011, we are not 2 weeks away from late June. People don't stop buying iPhones 6 months before a new one is out. They don't stop buying them 3 months before a new one comes out, people buy them mere weeks before a new one comes out. Half of an entire year still has to go before any new iPhone comes out. People want a white phone, all that trouble they're putting is because they believe they can sell a lot of them irrespective of any future launch. And the iphone 4 will not be discontinued, it downgrades to $99 next to iPhone 5 they'll still need to sell them for the next year and a half.

There's absolutely nothing weird about them releasing the white one in the next month or two, they know they can sell them!