If you are thinking of switching don't!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidlw, Jul 29, 2011.

1. davidlw macrumors 6502a

OK, OK I know dweeb but I have tried Androids, BB's and various other phones and I can say without a doubt that the iPhone4 on Verizon is the very best phone for me. In my area, Verizon is the best and the iPhone4 in conjunction with Mobile Me is what makes my life so much easier. This combination works for my business, personal life, and just entertainment. The quality of this phone and its Apps. is just the best. I have used BB's for years but this phone just has it all. I know that I am preaching to the choir but for those wanting to jump ship for whatever reason, think twice, there is none better overall. I also have a iPad and a iPad2 which makes things just that much better. IMHO

2. boonlar macrumors 6502

Some people might get tired of not having flash. It sucks not having the full internet available to you. I like my iPhone 4 but I wish it had flash. My asus transformer tablet is great and runs flash like a champ so I can view any website. I also have access to the file system so I can upload and save any file, not just pictures.

If flash and file system access are important to you I would definitely recommend an Android device. If you just want to browse the web occasionally an iDevice would be fine.

3. applegeek25 macrumors regular

applegeek25

Yes not having flash on the iPhone DOES SUCK, but really how many times have you run into a website that didn't offer an alternative version? For me personally, not many at all. I usually carry my MBP around with me anyways.

I guess it boils down to personal preference and necessity to have it on your "smart" phone.

4. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have absolutely NO NEED for Flash. There's not one (major) problem I've encountered with not having it.

5. Lioncrazz macrumors member

Yep, there are a very few instances where I need flash to watch sports videos (MLB.com) and the Skyfire app loads these Flash videos flawlessly.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ Skyfire meets those needs for me as well...:cool:

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Ive not come across any website I wanted to view and had problems !

Most sites are or have converted it to allow access by idevice users.

8. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

With Mango + new WP7 hardware, iOS5 + iPhone 5 and Ice Cream Sandwich + potentially a new Google Nexus on the horizon it'd be wrong to switch right now IMO.

Come fall, we'll be seeing the best of 3 platforms again.

9. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Yep. Can't go wrong with any of these new next gen phones due this Fall.

- Nexus-4.0 Prime
    - iPhone5
    - Windows Mango

I personally think the new Nexus will blow people away, the new Ice Cream Android update is supposed to be the biggest update in history of Android, millions of fixes and changes to the OS. Plus running a phone with super HD screen will be awesome.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Those who say they do not need flash are trying to convince themselves. I get tiired of running into site where I hit the "flash wall".

Look at the Samsung Galaxy S2 and software like DropBox!

11. bossxii macrumors 68000

There is nothing to switch too... already have an iPhone 4, may upgrade to the 5 if the screen happens to be 4", but very little in the way of hardware to go to. I've used half a dozen Android phones, and swapped out most due to issues. I would never own one for personal use as the buggy OS and lock up issues would be taking about 10 steps back in productivity. Apps and ecosystem to support the hardware is what I want. I'll let the kids tweak, root and hack their phones so they can have some moving wallpaper that makes them feel like they accomplished something. I'll stick to stable, reliable and productive.

12. Weiser878 macrumors regular

This is not accurate at all in my case. I can think of exactly 1 time when not having flash has been a hinderance to me.
    I have flash block installed on my MacBook and the only time I can recall having to turn the blocker off was to view my data usage on ATT.com.
    On my phone, I find that most sites direct me to a way that's compatible for iOS

13. -y0- macrumors 6502

-y0-

14. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Thats where you lost me, result will vary (you don't even mention where YOU live).

Glad to hear that its working out for YOU though.

15. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I agree that to get the best overall package, the iPhone is the winner. While android may get better hardware, webos a better ui, and windows is strong on both ui and hardware but lacks app support, the iPhone is the only one that excels on all fronts.

16. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I agree. I've just tried out a Nexus S with Gingerbread and suffice it to say i was NOT impressed. Boxed it and sent it back within 72 hrs. Microsoft is taking/will take forever to release one freaking update (Mango) and iPhone 5/iOS 5 might even be out it. So whats the point.

RIM's BB OS is just...wow (horrible). Nokia have no clue what their doing and the Windows 7 thing...read above. Palm still release last year's hardware today.

I wan't to use other platforms but...they simply suck for one (or several) reasons.

17. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry Saving107, I am in Baton Rouge, LA. thats where Verizon is King. Other areas AT&T may be better but for me in my area, VZ works best for me. Plus they just turned on 4G, I bought the 4G MIFI for my iPads.

18. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

Going with the carrier that gives you the service in your area is the way to do it. I love my Verizon 4G LTE mifi... and mainly use it with my iPad 2 also. I went with my wife and kids to the bay for a picnic yeterday, and there was a great LTE signal all day. When I got home, I still had 50% battery power... unlike LTE phones.:p
    BTW, I have nothing against AT&T... I am a AT&T customer for my iPhone... which has better phone coverage than VZW where I live.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

What is best for you isn't the same as what is best for everyone else.

20. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Here in London (really near to central London) I get awesome signal on every single network so I don't have to give a **** about which network and therefore phone I could get, if only you Americans had this too. :p

21. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ucfgrad, that is why I made that disclaimer. It works best for me not all people.

22. ucfgrad93, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

But yet you titled this thread "If you are thinking of switching don't" which implies that you have the proper solution for everyone. Glad you are enjoying your iPhone 4 on Verizon. However, your solution is not necessarily the right one for everyone.

23. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guess I need to brush up on my Creative Writing skills. lol

24. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

iPhone 4 is the best phone on the market and will be until iPhone 5 ships.

I have never wanted to use a single site that requires flash. On the other hand I have used dozens that use Flash just for dumb loud ads. I DO NOT want Flash on my phone and I thank Jobs for holding the line on Flash crapware.

25. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

While I agree that the iPhone is the best overall phone available, the other platforms that have flash also have this setting where you can turn flash on, off, or on demand, so for people like you who want no flash you can simply turn it off, for people like me who occasionally want flash can set it to on demand, and other crazy people who want the full web experience ads and all can set it to on. So there really is no need for the "argh! Keep that stinking flash away from my precious phone" mentality when they can just give us the option and everyone wins.