If you buy AppleCare+ is it safe to rock your iPhone naked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Myiphone7, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Myiphone7 macrumors 6502a

I love looking at my iPhone naked.

I figure if she gets a scratch I could accidentally play baseball with it, and voila brand new iphone.

2. luked14 macrumors 6502

I bought Applecare+ for the first time, mostly because I didn't want to put a case on my iP5. Essentially, I can replace my phone twice after it starts looking really bad.

I'd much rather spend $100 plus $50 deductible than throw my money away buying hideously ugly cases like Otterbox or Lifeproof.

3. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

EXACTLY my point. Just think if I for whatever reason I want a new iphone, all I'm paying is $150.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not a good use of your money, especially considering worse case scenario is paying $229 if you render it unusable and don't have AC+. Just upgrade to the new iPhone yearly and sell your scratched year-old 32GB for $450 (unlocked) on ebay.

5. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's only $150 not $229

6. kevroc macrumors 6502

I normally don't buy Applecare, the iPhone 4/4s were built like tanks, but the 5 seems a little fragile (even though I will be using the Incipio Feather case), so thanks to this thread I just called in and had Applecare+ added :)

7. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great idea. I need to order mine soon.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

$79 difference is not much and again, that's only worse case scenario if it's user inflicted damage.

I've rocked mine naked since 2007 without buying AC. Only had to replace one iPhone under warranty for camera defect.

9. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

He meant if you were to shatter your phone and you didn't pay for apple care plus the Genius Bar would charge you $229 for a brand new iPhone.

10. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

He's referring to an put of warranty replacement

11. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Huh? Wait I thought its only $50? Lets say I accidentally break the screen... Isn't it 50?

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's actually more durable in terms of drop tests, but it's a kneejerk reaction to say it's more fragile just because people are getting defective iPhone 5 scratched out of the box or with defective anodizing coating that's more susceptible to scratching.

13. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

50$ + the 100$ you payed for AppleCare + ;)

14. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

You think applecare + will cover tear and wear? I mean, it is a cosmetic damages not accidental damage. And so to be able to exchange it to a refurbish phone, you need to intentionally break it. Like dump it into a pool of water, or drop it on a pavement. Then that is fraud.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Plus $100 that you had to pay upfront for AC+. Break the screen without AC+ and it's $79 more.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

They are talking about the Difference in applcare+ with one replace = $150, and if you do not have applecare+ and break your phone they charge you $229...the difference of $79 dollars.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Exactly. You can't just get it swapped whenever you want as AC+ doesn't cover wear and tear.

18. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

if you have applecare+ and want a replacement they will give you one. I have always owned it in the past and gotten a replacement for cosmetics and they are yet to even make me pay the $50 deductible

----------

most will though. B.c you could easily "drop" your phone.

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The thread title suggested that you would be walking around naked with your iPhone. Make sure no one is around to take Kate Middleton style shots of you should you do this. Applecare + will not help you. :)

20. Myiphone7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah but I could accidentally drop it in water. Just need to be less careful. Then it's not fraud.

21. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

You have been lucky then. They certainly do not have to replace it for wear and tear as this does not cover that, and they don't have to do it without charging you the 50$ either.

By the way, out of warranty is 229$ for the iphone 5? It used to be 200$.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Hahaha. Yeah, sure, being less careful so you can purposely drop it whenever you want a new iPhone is not fraud.

You've wasted $150 when that $150 can go towards upgrading to the next generation iPhone and you recoup the difference from selling the old one on ebay (unlocked) for $450.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

yeah, they just upped it this time around =/

Honestly, it probably has a lot to do with applecare+ being less valuable. It also looks like they may charge you an extra $29 fee for the OOW replacement making it $258.

"When you request service, you will be charged the ERS Fee and the Out-of-Warranty Service Fee shown in the table below."

24. uberpooter macrumors member

Wait a second, they let you KEEP your old iPhone if you use your $50 deductible? WTF?

25. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Wow, that is crazy. It is not like the iPhone 5 cost them any more money to manufacture this time around. What a bunch of crap! Money money money.