Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
@geckotech um... i don't think that he is "incorrect" because that is exactly what he needs to do. if he plugs the iPhone into the computer, it will only activate the phone and not bring all his account information over to the new micro sim. He does have to go to AT&T.

If he plugs the new iPhone with microSIM into iTunes, it will activate the phone. What more needs to be done at an AT&T store. Your contacts, pictures, music, etc. from an old iPhone would be backed up in iTunes. And if the guy has never used an iPhone before and doesn't have the back-up information, there is still free software to transfer contacts from a cell phone via USB to a desktop/laptop. It would take him about 10 extra minutes to do. So why other AT&T employees when EVERYTHING can be done on his own?

coolb0yalex

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
no, i was refering to if he wanted to port his number from the old sim to the new sim. i know the contacts and backup information is there, but if AT&T does not get the IMEI and the SIM number, the new sim card will not activate like that.

i activated more than 60 iPhones a day so....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.