If you can wait, I suggest you do so

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bradleykavin, Mar 7, 2009.

1. bradleykavin macrumors member

i think anyone that can hold out for the long term will benefit greatly.

I believe not too far in the future, the iMac will move to quad core, possibly even a desktop based processor (currently uses laptop components). This processor move will be icore7 most definitely, with more ram expandability as well as a case redesign.

I also believe the mac pro will get a case revamp, with faster memory (most definitely 1600 ddr3 atleast) as well as the ability to add more than 32 gigs of ram, seeing how that is becoming more common throughout the industry. I also believe it will have 2 8 core processors from the same family, with faster clock speeds. I dont think we will see a blu-ray disc in the mac pro until software companies begin shipping their products (primarily adobe) in blu-ray format.

You have to think like apple does, in order to guess their future products. Everytime the mac pro, or any mac for that matter, is heavily updated, its given brand new technology that no one else has in the industry. I just read that icore processors are now able to be used with 1600 ddr3 memory. It would not surprise me if the case ends up being larger, due to the need for a different logic board. But I wouldn't be surprised if they change the materials in the case, and the way its built, to be significantly more energy efficient and environmentally friendly.

If you were apple, and wanted to make a 5 minute long video (comparable to the one that was made with the new macbook) on your new product, what would the new machine need to have in order to be an industry first? What would you need, thats available, to break a barrier?

Maybe replace the 30 in acd with a 28 inch that has the same resolution, and introduce a 32 inch that has higher than 2600x1600 resolution? a display multi-touch compatible?

Maybe a computer that can disable cores when they arent being used, to conserve power as well as to focus one core on the task your doing, to enhance performance? Who knows, but im willing to bet the next generation mac pro will be a significant upgrade; one worth waiting for.

Until then, I am doing my work at the office on my mac pro there, and using my mac mini for home use.

Also, I mention the iMac and its move to quad core because it has a very close relationship to the mac pro...

If theres a quad imac, and a quad mac pro, then theres a problem..I realize the performance is different, but regardless......

the iMac will move to quad, and the mac pro will move to 8 core..

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you mean technology improves over time? where have i been!?:rolleyes:

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

4. belvdr macrumors 601

Like what?

The Mac Pro is already 8 core.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

6. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

OH MY GOD!!!!
    are you serious?
    you mean i bought all this stuff (macbook's, macbook pros's and iphone)
    and now your telling me better stuff is going to be coming out!!

right, thats it, screw apple. i am going to buy a dell 1st thing tomorrow morning..

:rolleyes:

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Computers can already do that. You can even disable them manually if you prefer.

And it's Core i7, not icore 7. :p

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Technology gets better as we go along. The iMac will probably see a core i7 in the future and eventually quad core processors. The Mac Pro can support a lot more than 32 GB of RAM right now, it's just that nobody makes the sticks in a capacity high enough. We can always wait for new technology because we know it will eventually come, but as long as you wait for things to update that's a period of time you could have been enjoying your new computer (or really anything). Better things are always on the horizon, so unless you know it'll be updated soon, don't wait for an update, it's a waste of time.

9. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

this thread is going down in flames! and only 4 minutes after it was started:(lol

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, it won't. Apple doesn't use desktop chips. The Nehalem iMac will be Clarksfield.

Except they don't make displays smaller than 30" with 2650x1600.

Not until OS XI in 2019.

It does that NOW.

Already there.

11. cmaier macrumors G3

Why would they do that if no one has blu ray drives? Wouldn't you think it more likely that software companies switch away from physical media altogether?

And if you want a blu ray drive now, OWC (among others) already sells third-party drives.

12. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I would agree with most of these points except that I haven't been in the optimistic mood for the last few days.

Any reason why they used 1067 MHz? Is it due to the memory controller on the CPU?

Westmere and Sandy Bridge EP versions (successors to Gainestown) are 6 cores each. We'll be waiting until 2012 for 8-core CPUs.

I think the Gainestown Mac Pro already does that.

Whoa...what an oxymoron!

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

14. Abidubi macrumors 6502

That already exists, thats what the i7 and new Xeons do.

15. belvdr macrumors 601

16. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

I totally agree with the OP. I think both from a design standpoint and an architectural standpoint we are in a transition time frame this year which has slightly been stagnated by Intel and Apple due to the economic slump. Those who can wait and are not dependent on the hardware for income should save their money at the moment. By September/October a clearer picture will be available as to what to expect.

17. Abidubi macrumors 6502

Ya sorry. The huge post made me not realize there was anything under it... lol

18. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

19. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

I think Apple is going to be surprised at how many customers agree with the op. Just sayin'.

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I do agree with the op to some degree with different stances. I think the 2.26ghz mac pro disappear by summer time and I can see the 2.66ghz ending up being the base model mac pro with the $3299 pricetag or even lowered to $2999 as the last gen was $2799.

I think these cpu parts are just released a bit earlier and apple had to release earlier than the actual date because it was way overdue. Just wait until 3-5 months more and you will see some changes. Especially when the higher clocked 3.2ghz nehalem rolls around, basically at LEAST a speed bump upgrade.

Oh and not to mention when apple realizes that their mac pro line is not selling so great especially at these prices (even their previous gen 8 core mac pros were their worst selling machines in their lineups).

21. cmaier macrumors G3

Waiting 3 months for a speedbump is a never-ending process. You'll always be waiting for the next speedbump until the end-of-life for the processor architecture. The major architectural change you're waiting for just happened. On-chip memory controllers, single-die quadcore, etc.

22. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

It's not really waiting for the next best thing but pricing is of concern here. I would gladly wait if the 2.66ghz 8 core nehalem cost $3299 rather than the 2.26ghz version or especially if apple decides to lower the 2.66ghz( the new base) to $2999 (still being $200 more than what the previous gen 2.8ghz 8 core was).

I'm sorry but IMHO 2.26ghz model is TOO expensive.

23. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

You might be on to something. It's possible Apple coughed up big time to Intel in order to be able to roll these out along with the new iMacs and Minis, possibly to have everything in place for the whispered Snow Leopard unveil on the 24th. Then they passed this on to us. If they chopped $500 off the price of both stock machines, things would be much more appealing. Plus, that would leave them at the same prices as the 2 stock MBPs:

Entry-level Pro: 2.4Ghz 15" MBP for your notebook, MP Quad for your tower, $1999 for either one. BONUS: xMac, sort of. At least we have a more tame option for the feature-set like we do with MacBook Pro.

00ber Pro: 17" MBP for your notebook, MP Octo for your tower, $2799 for either one. BONUS: Same price as Penryn stock model.

24. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

Gee, I was thinking that SL was going to be June. Is there anything to give us hope for this month?

Rumors about the latest SL Developer Seed was that there were a lot of missing stuff, including support for the new MPs!

25. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I said unveil, not launch. Looking at the release notes for the new beta that 9 to 5 Mac posted, I certainly HOPE they aren't planning on releasing that anytime soon. :O