If you could delete anything from your Apple Watch, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Sill, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Sill macrumors 6502a

The Apple Watch has that same "unwanted app" affliction that the iPhone has. Useful space is taken up by things you'll probably never use. What would you get rid of, if Apple gave you the option?

My list:

Activity
    Breathe
    Health
    Heart
    Maps
    Music
    Photos
    Apple Pay (remove from Apple Wallet)
    Workout
    Nike+ Run Club

2. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

3. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

4. Significant1 macrumors 6502a

Nike+ Run Club is not installed by default and Health is not an Apple watch App.

I would like to remove:
    Breath
    Home
    Photos
    Radio
    Walkie Talkie
    Wallet

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The breathe App. It’s a nice function for those who actually take the time to use it, but I question how many actually use that specific app daily without forgetting about it that even exists. I know there was reminders for it, but I’m willing to believe the majority don’t care (or) use it.

6. Sill, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019

Sill thread starter macrumors 6502a

Home? I don't see anything by that name in my usage list or any icon on the display that opens anything by that name. What does it do?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2019 ---
    I remember when I first saw it ...I think it was turned on automatically by some os update at one point though I didn't see any kind of notice to that effect. One day I was in the middle of whatever at the time, and I heard some weird-sounding chime. I looked around me and saw no one nearby, then heard the chime again. I finally looked at my Watch and there was this weird image on the screen that looked like the love child of a mandala and a Spirograph. It was pulsating in a vaguely unsettling way. I finally figured out what it was (the notice that popped up "This is a reminder to breathe..." helped). Then I remembered the Watch Keynote and how thrilled everyone was with this, yet another hand-holding app. I turned it off immediately, after cursing Apple for yet again enabling something without my permission.

7. Complex757 macrumors 6502

Complex757

Sheeesh, after seeing this list, what do you want up there to remain?

8. Sill thread starter macrumors 6502a

... everything... not on the list? I thought that was kind of self-evident.

9. beernut macrumors 6502

10. Sill, Apr 19, 2019

Sill thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. Significant1, Apr 19, 2019

Significant1 macrumors 6502a

12. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

Not into health or fitness at all, I see... LOL

13. Sill thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly the opposite. I spend quite a bit of time, effort and money on that. There is absolutely nothing related to health that the Apple Watch does that would be useful for me. I also don't like the idea of any of my personal information being placed in anyone else's hands, especially something as valuable as exercise and health metrics.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2019 ---
    Yeah, I'll pass on all that. Just what I need - a house that a hacker can push a button to enter.

14. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Since I use nearly everything on the OPs list, and many are on my most-used list.... Just goes to show, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

So, the OPs "keep it" list would be:

Calendar
    Clock
    Contacts
    Mail
    Podcasts
    Stocks
    Walkie-Talkie
    Weather

I use a lot of those, too.

It gets to be one of those "which Swiss Army Knife do you prefer" debates. Maybe all you need is a basic 3-blade model. Maybe someone else can't do without a 16-blader. Most of us would admit that the 22-blade knife is way too heavy and bulky to carry everywhere...

Only when we're talking about Watch apps, there is no extra weight or bulk, just bits on a chip. Sure, there are sensors that add weight and bulk... no fitness/health features = slimmer watch. But for some people, that might mean a separate fitness tracker on the other wrist.

I'm kind of curious about what the OP needs the space for, if he could remove those apps. Music and photos are among the bulkiest things you can store on a Watch. Since they're on his "useless" list... what's causing his lack of space problem, podcasts? Hmmm... does anyone make a radio that plays only talk stations, not music stations?

Or maybe he doesn't have a space issue, it's just the principle of the thing?

15. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

It's installed by default on a Nike+ version of the watch, and it's impossible to remove.

I bought the that version because I had been a longtime Nike+ user. But Nike and Apple delivered an app that is unusable, yet won't let us remove the complication. Ridiculous.

16. Significant1 macrumors 6502a

No it is not. The complication is fixed on the Nike Watch faces, but the app itself is a separate installation. I have a Nike+ version myself.

17. Sill thread starter macrumors 6502a

Walkie-talkie? Thats not even on my Watch.
    I forgot about Podcasts. When I made my list I was looking at the app grid and didn't notice that one. I still can't find it. I don't even know what that app looks like. Maybe I don't have it? I have never listened to a podcast nor even downloaded any. In my business I wouldn't have time to, and when I'm commuting I'm either talking on the phone or (increasingly rarely) listening to my own music or satellite radio.

While I was trying to find the Podcast app I found another one that I'd like to delete - the Camera app. It was at the top of the grid and I guess I didn't move the grid far enough. For me its the most useless of the non-health apps.

If you want to make it a discussion about principle, that'd probably be accurate. I'd like to be able to delete things I don't use. The Apple management seems to think that every idea they have is awesome and needs to be pushed upon people whether they're interested in the feature or not.

Long ago I learned to loathe that mentality when Microsoft pushed IE on their customers and said it was tightly ingrained in the OS and couldn't be deleted. Barebones Windows installs done by security and bloat-conscious people soon proliferated. Steve Jobs was pretty good about not forcing things on us - iTunes and its foibles being a notable exception - but from 2012 onwards the Cook junta seems intent on getting peoples lives on the cloud, and worming their way into things that should be "opt-in". I've mentioned elsewhere how all the cloud options are enabled out of the box on new iPhones for over 5 years now.
    The enormous push to get health information as well as other personal things uploaded is increasingly disturbing. Don't assume my data needs to go on Apple servers; if I want the stuff up there, I'll click a button.

18. DiveKitty, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2019

DiveKitty macrumors 6502

I use basically everything on your list frequently if not daily except Nike + Run Club which I don’t have. I could do without Photos though as on your list as I mean, it’s a tiny screen and as useful as looking at thumbnail icons on a desktop.

I could easily not even miss these if they disappeared from my AW though:

• Walkie Talkie
    • Camera remote
    • Stocks

I might change my mind on Walkie Talkie when my husband gets an AW; I can see where there might be times it could be useful. Right now I just don’t use it at all.

19. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

I would like all of them to be optional.

20. Sill thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think that makes the most sense of anything posted in this thread.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Reading your post(s) throughout this thread, it’s clearly evident you are _not_ a candidate for the Apple Watch. Why would you even want an Apple Watch to begin with if you would delete all the primary functionality away from it? From what I gather from your posts, you seem pedantically worried that you’re being monitored or your privacy is being invaded, which I suspect a smart watch, More specifically the Apple Watch is not intended for you in the slightest.

22. Sill thread starter macrumors 6502a

Primary functionality for other people, not for me. A watch is supposed to tell time, or perform time-related functions. Alarm, timer, stopwatch. Thats it. Anything else is just a bonus.

I think its neat that it can let me see my messages and emails, that I can pull up boarding passes on it, and that I can talk over it. I don't need to use it to pay bills or buy things (thats what cash is for, and cash does not contribute anything towards learning databases that parse my purchase history). I don't need a watch that can control my home. I have a remote to open my garage, it doesn't communicate with my network, and its not crackable. My home appliances work just as well by talking to some central server and offering up metadata on my daily routines. I don't have locks that I (and anyone else) can open remotely. If I'm not at my home, those doors don't need to be opened. I don't have cameras pointed around my house, giving up every last shred of my personal life and conversations to a cloud server. I don't have a thermostat set up to monitor when I'm home and report the details of I definitely don't have my phone or my watch set up to tell my house (and the server in between) that I'm leaving that house, on my way to the house, or on the other side of the state away from my house. No one needs to know that information.
    I think there is a concerted push in the tech world to make people comfortable with giving up the details of their lives in return for technological convenience. These companies want to know everything about us, every last detail. I've written pretty extensively about it and what I see as the end result. I don't like it. Based on your posts, you're obviously quite happy with it. By all means, continue on. You don't need to respond any further here.

BTW: "pedantically"? You misapplied the word. I think you meant "irrationally". but you ended up projecting instead.

23. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

You are correct. I should have clarified that I was talking about the complication. The fact that it can't be removed is silly.

24. Relentless Power, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Again, then the Apple Watch doesn’t appear to be for you (Which perhaps you just don’t want to accept that given you own one). The features included are _not_ a bonus, it’s a watch that is meant to bring a variety of convenience tools and health monitoring in the technological era that we live in. Rather you choose to utilize those tools or not is your own prerogative, however; it’s exactly how Apple intended it to be.

You’re misinformed. Apple Pay Doesn’t ‘parse’ anything. It’s a completely secure form of payment with data encryption standards through randomized code. Not everyone carries cash with them, we live in an era where I suspect the majority resort to using a debit/credit card for payments when in public places, Apple Pay is a completely secure network. If you choose to pay cash for your items, that’s your prerogative, you don’t have to use Apple Pay, even though I trust Apple Pay over using my debit card, due to which has a higher potential that _could_ be skimmed.

Based on these five post(s) above, this goes well beyond the logic as you make it appear ‘I don’t like certain features on my Apple Watch’, when you appear to be the type of individual that believes the ‘world is out to get me’ from my perspective. If I were you, I’d be far more concerned about all the other ways your information could be potentially abducted versus owning an Apple Watch with certain features that you choose not to use. There seems to be a lot of details that are not mutually exclusive from your concerns in your posts versus what an Apple Watch has the option of using.

When you use the word ‘companies’, I don’t think it’s necessary to group Apple into that specific category. Yes, there are ‘companies’ that do extract data, but I don’t believe Apple is one of those companies to the extreme of ‘They want to know every last detail about us’, especially when they value your privacy more than any other tech company in retrospect. If there was one company that I do trust my information with, it would be Apple. It’s good to be guarded and self aware, but I definitely believe you have very misguided logic when you’re saying ‘every last detail’.

The Apple Watch is a good experience for what it offers, I find the fitness features and the health monitoring to be mature and dynamic. But since you’re visiting an Apple Watch forum, I also gather almost 99% the users are here are ‘happy’ with Apple Watch, not just me.

This is completely unnecessary. You’re involved in a discussion, you replied to my post, you telling me ‘not to respond any further here’ is inappropriate and really would be the complete opposite of why you’re participating in your own thread if you’re telling others not to respond.

Nope. I was projecting, but not overly. Irrationally is not the word that would be appropriate in your situation, pedantically easily describes your thought process on the Apple Watch and how you believe your information could be potentially hijacked:

Here is a more literal example:

{‘Sill’ is pedantically worried using certain features on the Apple Watch will allow their information to be potentially hacked/stolen/abducted/infiltrated due to companies that want to ‘know every last detail about them’.}