Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Hello all,

Thought it would be interesting to post who you would like to meet from anywhere in the world, if given the opportunity, and why. :)

Personally, I would like to meet someone influencial in the Physics community, such as Stephen Hawking or Roger Penrose, because I would find it inspiring. Physics is where I am aiming my career.

So, Im sure everyone has someone they would particularly like to meet, for whatever reason, so post them. :)

Perfusion

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Shamus said:
Hello all,

Thought it would be interesting to post who you would like to meet from anywhere in the world, if given the opportunity, and why. :)

Personally, I would like to meet someone influencial in the Physics community, such as Stephen Hawking or Roger Penrose, because I would find it inspiring. Physics is where I am aiming my career.

So, Im sure everyone has someone they would particularly like to meet, for whatever reason, so post them. :)

I'd like to "meet" Bin Laden... :D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Brian Eno. Absolute genius...

Failing that, David Lynch. I only place him second 'cos I'm not sure whether I could feign an interest in Transcendental Meditation. ;)

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
I would like to meet (in no particular order) Tom Hanks, Mel Gibson, John Piper (he's an author and pastor in Minneapolis), Mark Steyn (columnist), maybe the pope (why not? I'm not Catholic or anything, but it might still be cool), Steve Irwin. Hows that for a diverse list? :D

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
The Dalai Lama - just do. I'd love to sit over tea and just talk with him.

Although Stephen Hawking has always been in the top 3 for me too. Fascinating man. Imagine being so completely bound by your own body, and your mind knowing no bounds.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Blue Velvet said:
Brian Eno. Absolute genius...

Failing that, David Lynch. I only place him second 'cos I'm not sure whether I could feign an interest in Transcendental Meditation. ;)
We might should provide links or at least some kind of explanation if these people aren't well known to everyone... like I've never heard of either of those people. ;) Just a suggestion.

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Heb1228 said:
We might should provide links or at least some kind of explanation if these people aren't well known to everyone... like I've never heard of either of those people. ;) Just a suggestion.

Sounds good to me. Feel free to link to sites with further descriptions, or explanations of who they are/what they do. :)

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
MICHAEL JACKSON!

I'd yell 'dance boy, dance!' and then I would pass out.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Hmmmm? I'll have to think about this one as no-one instantly springs to mind.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Heb1228 said:
I'd hate to know what happens after you pass out since we all know you have the skin of an 8 year old. :eek:

AHH! and no, that's my dermatologist's opinion, lets not let everyone know I'm crazy for sure, just keep hinting at it ok? :eek:

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Benjamin Franklin, if we're including people who are dead (though I'd only like to meet him if that means he is alive at the time!). There are a lot of smart, worldly, fun people throughout history, but by reputation, he combined the best of all worlds AND was good at expressing his ideas to other people. I know a lot of smart people who are terrible at explaining things. I think it's because things come so naturally to them that they don't know how to explain what they're trying to express. But a talk with Ben Franklin would really be able to change a person's life.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Heb1228 said:
All that does is takes me to a white page with a big "Google" on it with a box underneath. It doesn't tell me anything about either one of them!
I'd heard of Brian Eno but my primary impression of him was that he was a record producer. I learned a lot about him from the Wikipedia article.

David Lynch is a filmmaker. I guess my first exposure to Lynch was the television series "Twin Peaks". After I "discovered" David Lynch this way, one of the first movies of his that I went back and watched was "Blue Velvet".

David Lynch is... well, he's an odd guy. He makes very strange but thought-provoking movies.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Oh.

I like to read a lot, and so most of the people that I'd like to meet are authors. Assuming that we're talking about people who are still alive, some of those people would be:
  • Malcolm Gladwell, author of The Tipping Point and Blink, is one of my favorite non-fiction writers. I'd like to talk with him about whatever he feels like talking about. I'm pretty sure it would be interesting.
  • Douglas Coupland is one of my favorite novelists. I would tell him about the time I was sick in the hospital and one of my best friends brought me a copy of Microserfs, the first Douglas Coupland book I ever read. I still have that book and it's still my favorite of all of his books.
  • Anne Tyler is another one of my favorite novelists. I would thank her especially for writing Breathing Lessons, and ask her some questions about it.

Black&Tan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2004
Such a tough question. We all have preconceived ideas about people and how they should be. I think I would need to spend a bit more time than just a quick meeting. Let's say a few days over drinks at an exclusive resort...

1. Leonardo Da Vinci
2. John Cleese
3. Roger Waters
4. Robin Williams
5. Steve Jobs

P.S. - I can't help but think about "Bill & Ted's Great Adventure" when they gathered noted people throughout history for their school presentation, including Abraham Lincoln, Beethoven, Billy the Kit, Jesse James, Genghis Khan, Napoleon....

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
Off the top of my head, I'd have to say I'd most like to meet Richard Dawkins. There aren't too many people in the world willing to be so brutally honest about science, truth, and religion. Even more importantly, he has spent his career fighting the good fight for science

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
1) Da vinci
2) Charles Darwin
3) Galileo
4) Ferdinand Magellan
5) John Lennon
6) George Gershwin
7) Mozart

for more prurient interests: Raquel Welch when she was 20 yrs old and Scarlett Johansson.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.