If you could only add ONE feature...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yumunum, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

If you were able to add only 1 feature to the iPhone 5, what would it be? Anything you want, doesn't have to be too realistic.

I'd have a 4.5 inch screen. My Android phones spoiled me with big screen's, one of the few things I miss.

2. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Sorry, nothing over 4" for me as I don't want to carry a mini-tablet. I actually think the current size of the phone is perfect, but perhaps they should just expand the edges. Right now I'm just hoping for possible LED notification somewhere, without tackiness to the exterior.

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

If I could only add 1 hardware feature for the next iPhone?

Hmmmm...

I'd have to go with a 25% larger battery for longer battery life (Atrix 1930mAh style)

4. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Some threads suggest a pulsing home button. ;)

5. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

On the physical side, mo' battery is always good...

On the software side, SMS QUICK REPLY!!!

6. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I don't care what they add or take away as long as the form factor and size stays the same. I do NOT want to carry around an iPad attached to my head.

7. Alchematron macrumors 6502a

Alchematron

Absolutely 4.5 inch screen!

Internet in pocket without having to scroll left and right to read each line of text is primary!

Phone is secondary

8. yourmother macrumors regular

A bigger screen is literally all I care about hardware wise. I already have an iPad so please don't give me the argument that I should just get an ipadif I a want a bigger screen.

9. shazzam macrumors regular

Reader in iOS 5 legitimises the screen staying the same size imo.

The one feature I'd add is Wi-Fi voice calling.

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

4G radio that works on all networks and doesn't drain the battery like mad. Hey, you said it didn't have to be realistic!

I'm not planning on going for the iPhone 5 because I doubt it's going to do much more for me -- and I'm waiting for my AT&T deal to end so I can jump ship to Verizon. The neighbors have it and say they have no signal issues. I've been lucky to get three bars since I moved here almost two years ago.

If you want to go really magical, add an optical zoom to the camera. I know it's probably physically possible, but there are probably a bazillion other factors (money!) from doing it. But that and the ability to take sharp pictures when I'm not perfectly still are what separate a phone camera from a $200 P&S like I have. I love geotagging, but sometimes I just want better pictures and a zoom. I would also love zoom for the video camera because this is my only video camera. It's got great picture quality, but sometimes you just can't be that close to the subject.

11. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Agreed. I have an iPad too, too.

The only logical reason I can see for not wanting a bigger screen is if you're a girl. Girl pants aren't usually made with big pockets.

But then again, "big" Android handsets aren't even that much bigger than the iPhone. People act like 4.3+ inch phones are giant 1x1 planks of wood. It seems kinda ridiculous to me. I'd be interested to hear why Alaerian doesn't want the device to get bigger. Maybe that'll open my mind up a bit. Right now I just don't see what the deal is.

12. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Double the battery life, and a slightly bigger screen!

13. Fernandez21 macrumors 68040

Fernandez21

Not too realistic, but flash would be killer. That and a slightly bigger screen, don't want the phone to be any bigger though.

14. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

15. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

An LED notification indicator. Ever since I bought the 3G all I wanted was:

- A Better Camera (Came with the 3GS and then even better with the iPhone 4)
    - A Camera Flash (Came with the iPhone 4)
    - An LED notification indicator

Once I get that last one I'll be stoked.

16. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Since Apple can't make the phone work, rename the bloody thing iDrop.

Ha...Ha...Ha...

17. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Support for both CDMA2000 and HSPA with LTE 700 and 1700Mhz. Premature but then again I can't think of anything else right now. LTE isn't too important to me but I guess I need a new cool network to play with :D

18. Andy Ftw macrumors regular

Definitely not a screen size increase which so many people seem to want for some reason. Thankfully I really don't see Apple changing it anyway for a long time if at all.

On a hardware side, I'm not too bothered and I don't feel I'm lacking anything. Like mentioned above an LED notification thing would be quite cool or a battery improvement (though it is pretty great anyway).

On a software side, ability to queue music -_-

19. Ryuu117 macrumors member

A notification light in the style of where the light sensor goes would be nice. Just a blue light that doesn't change the physical build of the phone but just gives you a nice little light that alerts you when something has happened that you can change the settings to so you're not getting a blinking light every time someone Tweets. I think a bigger screen would be impossible for the moment, as Apple iOS handheld products all generally run on that screen, and it would screw over people developing in the beta because imagine developing an app for the current screen resolution, just to find out in September that the new size is 4.5 inches. Also, I think the iPhone 4 shell is just fine too. I don't know why people are dying for this "dramatic case change," the 4 looks sleek and classy. I hope it doesn't end up getting contoured again :rolleyes:

20. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

There are plenty of radio apps in the App Store.

For me it has to be 4.5 screen :D

21. yourmother macrumors regular

Can u enlighten me as to how it legitimizes it?

22. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

3.7" or 3.8" edge-to-edge screen in current casing. Don't need a bigger screen than that and DEFINITELY not a bigger phone. Wouldn't mind it being SLIGHTLY thinner (less thickness in top and bottom glass that shows).

23. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Actually, to override this one I just said, I'd REALLY prefer the same 3.5" screen but in a smaller casing. Edge-to-edge and slightly thinner. I mostly want a bigger screen with edge-to-edge, just to get rid of some "dead space".

24. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

because it will take articles and reformat them so that you do not need to scroll side to side to read them

25. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I'd like to see some sort of RDS receiver so that when you've got the phone docked into a dock with a radio, the iPhone will display the album art of the song on the radio.
    :D