If you could turn back time

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by greygray, Aug 18, 2011.

1. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

If you could turn back time... When would you want it to start at?

2. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

When Cher came up a song with this thread's title and stop her there.

3. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

^^ Dammit! You stoled my idea. :D

I'd go back to a couple key moments in my life and slap myself silly for making stupid, stupid decisions.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Just Like Jesse James

Same album, many memories...Would want to wind back 6 months from there, but would need the knowledge I have now.

Is that allowed?

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

If you turn back time, you will have no memory of what to avoid. ;)

You'll probably just screw it up again, like all of us. ;)

Now if he added "Knowing what you know now", then you have something major. :D

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I wouldn't. There no way I would want to go back to any time. Now is good.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Thought So

Was worth a try though....If I'd known what C**** medical care my wife had back then, I would have done things differently...Guess I wouldn't really want to turn back time really.

8. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I would have came into work exactly 3 weeks ago. :(

9. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

If you could turn back time... Cher
    You used to be hair
    Now you're gone NAIR

10. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I like where I am right now. So no, if I could I wouldn't turn back time

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I wish I could have experienced the 60s and 70s. I would like to experience living in an era that has a bigger collective feeling of hope instead of apathy. It reminds me of The Wave by Hunter S. Thompson:

Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run ...but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant ...

History is hard to know, because of all the hired b*******, but even without being sure of "history" it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights—or very early mornings—when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L. L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder's jacket ...booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always stalling at the toll-gate, too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for change) ... but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that ...

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda .... You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning ....

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave ....

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark —that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.​

12. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

group sex and disco. awww yeaahh!

me, when i was seven and up in a barn haystack with the girl next door. i should have seized the moment.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

austin-powers-cocktail-glass-4900072.jpg

14. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

15. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Nothing beats that "the economy could be down, but I'd still be high" feeling.:p

I'd go back to when the America was still Indian Country: Clean air, clean water, no taxes, no debt, medicine man free, women did all the work, men spent the day hunting and fishing and <ahem>;) all night.

16. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

14 or 15, I get it..., but 7 years old. I really hope you're joking. :eek:

17. noatonement, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011

noatonement macrumors member

I would have gone back, bought thousands of shares of Enron... sold them all right before collapse, used all that money to buy as much gold as i could... hold onto all that gold and now sell it for $1800 an ounce :D

Just to give a slight idea of my diabolical genius....
    Starting Cash: 100k
    Buy Enron Stocks at $10 a Share = 10k Shares
    Sell Enron Stocks in Sept. of 2000 at $90 a share = 900k

Ending Cash: 900k
    Buy Gold at $272 an Ounce in 2000.
    Have about.. 3,309 ounces of gold...
    Sell Gold at current price ($1,825 per ounce).
    Make: 6.03m <--- not too bad for starting out at 100k and a time machine xD

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're glamorizing a time that was full of anything but hope. It was actually quite terrifying. People felt nuclear war was imminent and could happen at any time. People were afraid of the government and minorities were experiencing some seriously trying times. The 70s were full of uncertainties like the energy crisis, etc. I don't remember that period fondly at all.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

but but but they had good music.......that I can listen to now as well

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Can I kill someone? I choose Hitler. Oldie but goodie. No 12 million dead, no middle East problem now, no easy go to argument killer on the web. Can I kill two people? Jesus. As a baby. Before all the lies started. But then I get to come back to my time and see who they replaced him with.

21. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

It would be cool to have been born early enough to really appreciate and be part of the hobbyist home computer movement of the late 70s and early 80s. I was about a decade or so too late for it.

22. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Generally true.

I was in college and grad school at that time.

And I remember...uh...smoking....remember....hazy...acid... :confused:

If you can remember the 60's, you weren't there. ;)

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nah, I'd like to go back and find the person who first thought of religion. The first person who even just for a second thought that there might be an invisible man in the sky and take them out before they could share their whacked out ideas with anyone else. Patient Zero.

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Probably more then one person had this great idea. That's why there's been so many of them all across the world, for centuries. But I like the way you think!

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No way is he joking. You remember important events, or at least I do.

I remember Mama.... no, not that. I was 8, she was 10. Talked her out of her clothes, but what happened next still makes me smile. :D

Nothing, for nothing could, at that time. ROTFLOL

I was there, working for a living, and learning what school failed to/couldn't teach me.

Oh, M&C, what makes you so special? :p It was tried, several times.

Pssst ...... they all failed. ;)