If you had the opportunity to upgrade to the stainless for $150, would you?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by WarHeadz, Sep 28, 2015.

1. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I'm faced with this dilemma today. I currently have a 42mm sport with Applecare+ and have a unique opportunity to upgrade to a lightly used 42mm SS with Applecare+ that the owner is willing to transfer into my name for $150 after I sell mine. Should I do it? It sounds very tempting, but then I look at my little Sport Watch with its knockoff stone leather loop band and can't help but think "hmmm, maybe I should keep this one until the next gen". On the other hand, I think "but i'll also be wearing this thing probably until 2017, so I may want the one with better materials, even if the guts are identical". Given that the money isn't the issue, what would you do?

2. broken202 macrumors member

In a heart beat. I upgraded from a Sport to SS, and do not regret the decision.

3. Speechless macrumors 6502

Nope. I don't like the stainless steel look - at all. SG all the way.

4. cb907 macrumors newbie

I would definitely do it. Especially if you think you'll bang up the SGS and end up paying for a replacement before the next generation. If you don't end up having to replace the SS, the upgrade is even less. Plus you have a better watch.

5. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

What made you do it and what do you prefer about the SS version?

6. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

I upgraded from the SGS to the SBSS just for the tougher case and crystal. I wasn't sure if I would like an Apple Watch so I purchased the Sport model trying to save a few bucks. After taking it for a test drive over a few days I decided I liked it and wanted something more durable because I'm hard on watches. The sapphire crystal alone is a plus for me. Also I figured I would have this one for a while since Apple is still releasing first generations in other countries it may be longer before gen 2 comes out.

If I were you I would go for it!

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Not necessarily. Some iPhone models were released in certain countries several months after they first debuted in the U.S., yet they were updated on a yearly basis. It isn't an argument for or against the gen 2 coming out after about a year's time.

8. WarHeadz, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Exactly. Right now I'm leaning toward just keeping the sport until the next gen comes out. But still debating. This is a hard dilemma.

I'm also thinking that since I have a sport with AppleCare and all the third party bands I could ever want, maybe I just shouldn't invest anymore money into this generation of Apple Watch. Maybe I should just leave it be and patiently await the next generation. Maybe the stainless steel will come with a brushed finish. That would be nice.

9. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

if you like the shiny black... sure! that's a great deal! apple care is $20 more for the SS version plus the $200 extra.... not to mention the difference in tax on the $200....

so you're saving $70....

it's really a very personal choice!

10. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

Apple may not update the AW every year like they do with the iPhone, so waiting for that "next model" may be a mistake. This is a new product for them, so everything is just speculation as to how often they'll release a new model. Will consumers really purchase a new watch every year? If they did release a new model early next year, it won't be much different than the current model save for maybe a front facing camera and bumped internal specs.

I initially bought the Sport, but returned it for a SS for the simple durability factor. I've read about glass face scratches on the Sport model and wouldn't be able to live with a scratch on the glass as it'd annoy me to no end. Being that I wear it, I too often accidentally brush my watch faces against a door, table, etc. The Sapphire crystal and that the SS model is more versatile in terms of bands it'll look good with did it for me.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This is no different from asking "Will consumers really purchase a new iPhone every year?" The die-hards here tend to upgrade yearly, but this isn't true of the general population, yet it didn't preclude Apple from updating the iPhone on a yearly basis.

There are various prospective new features that may induce customers to update from v1, as well as get customers to purchase v2 for the first time, such as additional sensors, smart bands, etc. Nobody can predict what some of these features are, just as nobody could have anticipated 3D Touch on a future iPhone a couple years ago.

12. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

In a heartbeat. I love the look and feel of it. Now to decide between SS and Space Black SS...

13. chillg8r macrumors regular

chillg8r

Agreed and did the same thing. Once I knew I loved the watch I upgraded for the same reasons and couldn't be happier.

14. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I upgraded my Sport after a week, and I'm happy that I did. Stainless steel just looks better as it starts to get beat up, and the more scratch resistant sapphire crystal is worth the trade off of being a bit more prone to shattering, if you have Apple Care, IMO.

15. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

We'll see. A watch, however, is a bit more personal than a phone. It's an accessory in many ways, jewelry. Sure there will be those who'd upgrade annually, but I'd bet if you ask most AW owners right now they're planning to keep their AW for at least a couple of years.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No different from asking most iPhone owners right now if they're planning to keep their new iPhone for a couple of years. Most people outside this forum wait out their contracts.

I still think diehards will upgrade their AW annually (if it happens), just as they've been doing with iDevices.

17. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

I paid $260 CDN to upgrade from my SGS to the Space Black Stainless Steel once it was announced and I'm very happy with the decision. This is something I'll be wearing every day for (possibly) a few years or more. I love the look of it.

18. WarHeadz thread starter macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Thanks for the input guys. I've decided not to do it and instead put that money toward upgrading from my iPhone 6 to the 6S. I don't usually go for the s generations, but this one is a pretty significant upgrade. I sometimes find myself trying to force touch my iPhone screen to no avail, now that won't happen anymore!

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I changed my order from a sport to SS within 24 hours. It's an extra $200, but you get a SS case and sapphire display. I have banged objects many times with my watch and never had a crack or dent. I don't know how a sport model would've survived all that. And this is before I go on a trip next summer for a geology field class for six weeks.

I don't regret it a bit. I later got my leather loop band that matches the finish, so another win.

20. ElysiumY2K macrumors member

ElysiumY2K

No new model this year from Apple, but they'll definitely release a slimmer model next year.

I just purchased a SS Space Black AW but contemplating wether I should keep it or not since Apple will release a new one next year.

21. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

huh? if you can date Meghan Fox or Jennifer Lawrence who would you date? Of course Meghan Fox. duh.

22. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I disagree. Jennifer Lawrence actually has a personality.

24. LiemTa macrumors 6502

$150 is a small price to pay so people don't think I can only afford the budget model

25. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

yea that was a bad example.. they are both hot with personalities. Meghan Fox wins tho.