Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

random person

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I'm not a collector of watches but I do have a Tag Heuer chronograph, a Tag Dive Watch (my go to) and a Cartier tank for dress up occasions. Now I'm thinking of adding the Apple Sport watch strictly for workouts and such, but I'm wondering what the rest of you are thinking here. Is the Apple watch your only watch? How does it fit in your watch rotation schedule?;)

Last edited:

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I have some basic watches for work and a Tag Heuer that I mostly use for more special occasions. I'll probably use the Apple watch for work outs and my daily watch with a nicer band while reserving the Tag Heuer for mostly special occasions still.

random person

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
That's kind of how I see it working for me too, but then the true smart watch features would then be limited only to the hour or so a day that I'm using it. Still, I just don't see it replacing my other watches.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
That's kind of how I see it working for me too, but then the true smart watch features would then be limited only to the hour or so a day that I'm using it. Still, I just don't see it replacing my other watches.

It will be interesting to see what your usage patter is, in say, 6 months. Will the notifications and glances that the Apple watch provides compel you to wear it more than just for the fitness features you see yourself wanting now? I image Apple is hoping that it will and also that it will intice you to get some additional bands for the various occasions you are now contemplating.

Sirobin

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
California
My only other watches are on old cheapo Timex, and a Pebble. The Timex is pretty much already relegated to camping trips, or other situations I'm away from electronics for a while. My Pebble I'll probably keep, and wear to work, at least for the time being. Once I get used to my Apple Watch, and stop treating it like a first born child, I'll probably start wearing it full time.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
I have a Raymond Weil watch which is my everyday watch for the office (which I love) and a £15 yellow Casio digi watch for casual/sluch wear. I suspect the Apple Watch will now be my daily watch, if it's not, what's the point of having it really?

I get that people might want to use it for work out's, but that seems a terrible waste of so many of the features, especially when there are better dedicated fitness watches/bands that dont need you to carry your iPhone 6/6+

I can imagine ditching the Apple Watch in six months and returing to my RW watch ...

Redneck1089

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2004
I'll either dual wield, or just wear the Apple Watch in situations where my Swiss watches might get damaged.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I don't get people who plan to use the Apple Watch just for working out considering the many other features it offers. I bet many of you are going to be singing a different tune once you actually experience the usefulness of having a smartwatch.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I've worn my current watch daily for decades and we've been through too much together to just cast it off now. So I'm skipping the Apple watch. all I really need is a simple, unobtrusive band that I can wear on my other wrist permanently, without looking like a dork.

If only Apple would come up with something like the Garmin Vivosmart band or a more compact version of the Microsoft band. Better yet, a Jawbone UP with a minimal, concealed text display (I really like the UP's philosophy, clean appearance and super-easy slide on/off wearability) Here they all are:

Attachments

• text-message-garmin-vivosmart.jpg
    text-message-garmin-vivosmart.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 123
  • microsoft-band-product-photos-11.jpg
    microsoft-band-product-photos-11.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 114
  • jawbone-up24-review-8.jpg
    jawbone-up24-review-8.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 106

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
probably going to retire my Omega watch to "occasion only".

and probably retire my nikefuelband altogether

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
This question is a serious one. I have two nice watches I've worn for a decade or more.

The Apple Watch to me is NOT just about workouts. I really think it's going to change my life with its notifications and other abilities.

I really see this hurting traditional watch makers much more than people are predicting.

How can you experience Apple Watch and then go back to just a fashion piece. I don't think many will. Which is why the Apple Watch isn't just the sport model.

I think many, like myself, will start off with the sport model and eventually migrate to a more expensive and nicer version.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I have a couple watches that will now be for special occasions. Apple watch will be my daily watch.

Esexx

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
I have no clue how the :apple:W will fit in. I have 2 Rolex that are my daily drivers and the :apple:W will not repleace them.

I'm sure, I will wear the :apple:W constantly for a month or 2 then it will go in to rotation.

Only time will tell...

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I'll be using the SS :apple: watch with link band for casual everyday use. I have nicer dress watches for special occasions. I'm hoping the link band will make it versatile enough to pull off in more situations

random person

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
It's a conundrum, isn't it? Unless the apple watch becomes one's daily driver it's hard to justify adding it to the quiver as its many benefits can't be fully realized. On the other hand it is audacious to see it replacing an entire category. After all, t's not like cellphones where people carry just one. It is quite an interesting move by apple. It could be another game changer -- or not, just an ancillary purchase

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
My only other watches are on old cheapo Timex, and a Pebble. The Timex is pretty much already relegated to camping trips, or other situations I'm away from electronics for a while. My Pebble I'll probably keep, and wear to work, at least for the time being. Once I get used to my Apple Watch, and stop treating it like a first born child, I'll probably start wearing it full time.

Same here. I have a cheap Timex watch that cost me the equivalent of $45 but I stopped wearing it once I got my Pebble which is what I wear all the time. I don't really see the point in owning multiple watches personally and I have stayed away from owning expensive watches because I tend to bump my watch from time to time. With the Pebble I have got use the functionality of a smart watch and whilst I'm not keen on spending the kind of money an :apple:Watch costs I am going to make an exception due to its added functionality and better integration with my iPhone.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
i only have two watches..... i plan to "drawer" them and wear my apple watch exclusively.

that said..... if i don't like the data i get when working out.... i'll continue to wear my polar HRM....

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
*IF* Apple Watch works out for me... Well, all the "nice" watches will be gathering dust and I probably won't buy anymore of other "nice" watches.

Yes.. Apple could disrupt traditional watch business and push the industry to niche die-hard collector's market, from mainstream.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Will be for working out and very casual days. At work, I'll still wear my Shinola. Unless I somehow become attached to the Apple Watch.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
*IF* Apple Watch works out for me... Well, all the "nice" watches will be gathering dust and I probably won't buy anymore of other "nice" watches.

Yes.. Apple could disrupt traditional watch business and push the industry to niche die-hard collector's market, from mainstream.

you are fooling yourself, most people won't buy Apple watch. or any smartwatch.

most people still ask "What can this do that my phone couldn't?". Unlike the original iPhone, there is no MUST HAVE with this.

let me mention 350 starting price is still high for most people who are already NOT 100% sold on smartwatch idea

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011

most people still ask "What can this do that my phone couldn't?". Unlike the original iPhone, there is no MUST HAVE with this.

let me mention 350 starting price is still high for most people who are already NOT 100% sold on smartwatch idea

You should post in the "going to be a flop?" thread so we can immortalize your foolish comment like we did with others in the iphone, iPod, and ipad release threads.

I have two Gshock watches which I'll retire or sell in lieu of the Apple watch.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto

I would get the stainless steel watch just for the sake of trying it out.

If I like it, won't be wearing Rolex for a while...

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
You should post in the "going to be a flop?" thread so we can immortalize your foolish comment like we did with others in the iphone, iPod, and ipad release threads.

I have two Gshock watches which I'll retire or sell in lieu of the Apple watch.

Did I say it's going to flop? I simply stated why I don't think Apple watch is going to push the entire watch industry to a "niche market". At least this version wouldn't.

but then again, you have 2 G-Shock watches, not exactly the expert of watch market. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.