Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
Hello,
I would like to hear how many of you actually own a Mac Pro either Notebook or desktop. Tell me which you have, and what you like about it? Tell me what you dislike about it? Besides price. I know it is expensive.

If you would be so kind tell me your configuation too of your Mac Pro.
Do you use it for video editing at all?

Ok Ok thats it. no more questions. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
:)

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Hello,
I would like to hear how many of you actually own a Mac Pro either Notebook or desktop. Tell me which you have, and what you like about it? Tell me what you dislike about it? Besides price. I know it is expensive.

Mac Pros do not come as notebooks.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
If you Own a Mac Pro Please reply to this!

Hello,

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005

Hello,

Use the Search tool and hone in on more specific questions what you discribed is what is all over the whole forum

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I've got:
8-core 3GHz Mac Pro
ATI X1900XT 512MB graphics card
5GB RAM
250GB Hard Drive
Dual Superdrives

I do (in order from most to least) video editing/compositing, image work, and audio recording on my system. I use Final Cut Studio 2, CS3 Design Premium, and After Effects CS3.

I absolutely love the computer. Before this, I had a PowerBook (which I still have, but now it's mainly a portable internet/typing computer). You can imagine how awful doing all of that work would be on a G4 PowerBook.

What I love the most about the 8-core is how much power it has. It literally makes my PowerBook look like an ancient piece of equipment. When I RAM Preview in After Effects, it renders multiple frames at once using all of the cores, and renders it in nearly real-time.

Another thing I'm looking forward to is Leopard. With the improved 64-bit functions, along with more efficient multi-core support, I'm sure I'll see a performance boost without ever upgrading hardware components!

If you've got any more questions, feel free to ask.

ACbc

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
I just got a mac pro yesterday. Waited for WWDC for no reason...ah well. I wans't going to wait any longer. we'll see if i kick myself for it or not later...in a meantime i shall enjoy my new machine...

Config
2.66 quad core
1 gig ram (4 gigs on the way)
250 gb HD (2 x 500 GB on the way)
ati x1900 xt
airport extreme
23 inch display

I also have a 1.25 ghz powerbook g4.

I do photography (want to start shooting in RAW, g4 was a little too slow to process them), video editing and compositing in hdv, and midi/audio sequencing and recording.

programs i use are aperture, photoshop, fc express (fcs 2 on the way), garageband and propellerhead reason.

I've only had a few hrs of uptime with the new MacPro, but on first glance it is infinitely faster than the powerbook g4. The 4 harddrive bays were key for me. Now i can have a boot disk, storage disk, a dedicated scratch drive, and even one more for a dedicated backup if i wanted. Ram is important too....5 now with the potential to go up to 32 later if needed. i like having the option to add more. RAM and HD are two things you can almost never have enough of, and the MacPro gives you the option to really load up on those.

2.66 quad cores is pretty fast for me. everytime i buy a new computer (i average 1 every 5 years or so), i always think "why would i possibly need something faster????". sure enough, 5 years later, i definitely need something faster. =P but i digress....

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
2.66 quad
4GB ram
dual superdrive
airport/BT
4x250GB SATA300 HDs
20" ACD

(+1.5GHz G4 12" powerbook)

This mac pro is used predominantly for audio work on pro tools but is occasionally used for adobe creative suite and macromedia studio 8. This comp is infinitely more capable than my powerbook (or any of my previous macs/pcs) when it comes to hosting multiple plug-ins and high track count sessions. It has made life in the studio much more enjoyable (and lead to much faster production times)

mikeishi

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2007
What do I like about it:
FAST.
BIG.
DOES EVERYTHING, WELL.

I do heavy design work in CS3 with it. I have done things like converting video and music files and this thing just FLIES.

What I do not like about it:
NOTHING. Not even the price seems expensive after you've owned it for a month. (Although I didn't like saving up and spending the cash, it was well worth it.)

I have the base model, but with 3GB of RAM.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Got lots of macs.

Mac Pro
8 Core 3ghz
5gb Ram
2TB HD
7300GT

Umm, I get it tomorrow but I just sold my Mac Pro Quad 2.66ghz and that was fast as freaking hell.

Also got:

Mac Mini
2.33ghz Core 2 duo
2gb Ram
100gb 7200rpm HD

FAST as Pergatory. :) No, for what it is it screams.

iMac 17"
2ghz Core 2 duo
2gb Ram
400gb HD

Still a great fast machine.

Mac pro shines in speed, hard drive space and quietness. I would say that my mac pro is queter than my mini and that is one bold statement.

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
Hello,

There is no mac pro notebook...

that being said I have a Mac Pro 2x2.66GHz DC, ATI 1900XL, 4GB RAM, 2.0TB Disk space.

Use it for Aperture/lightroom/photoshop cs3

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
I have one, use it for RAW image editing in Lightroom and Photoshop/illustrator work.

2.66GHz quad
4 GB RAM
.98 TB HD
x1900XT

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
What do I like about it:
FAST.
BIG.
DOES EVERYTHING, WELL.

I do heavy design work in CS3 with it. I have done things like converting video and music files and this thing just FLIES.

What I do not like about it:
NOTHING. Not even the price seems expensive after you've owned it for a month. (Although I didn't like saving up and spending the cash, it was well worth it.)

I have the base model, but with 3GB of RAM.

By base model meaning what? quad core? and which video card are you running?

mediaboy

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2006
Sorry to say.

I own a Mac Pro Quad 3.0 with 5gb ram and XT1900 card and 30" ACD.

Not very happy with the computer. I spent around 7000 and I feel on constant guard that it is going to freeze and I am going to have to do a hard restart. The ACD has 1 pixel horizontal line randomly on screen and small red dots. Sometimes, the ACD wont turn on, it flashes the light three times and I have to cycle the power a few times to show the image.

Is it fast? Sure, I guess. Maybe my hopes were high, I switched from my PC to avoid crashing and it seems that I am in the same boat. I am hoping Leopard fixes my issues.

statikcat

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2007
Wow .. some ********s came surfacing with this question. No wonder pc users hate us so much :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have a Macbook Pro 17" current gen 2.16 w/ 2gb RAM. Yes, if you had specific questions that would be more helpful. Honestly there is not anything I dont like about my MBP. Macs are not really expensive.. Mac does lack a cheap desktop though. Pretty soon 1st gen Mac Pro will be very cheap (probably used).

The only things Mac is missing for me is a good mp3 tag editor like Tag&Rename on XP. Lol.. that is it.. well and a few games but I can run them using bootcamp. I love OSx over XP by a long shot. Do not have to deal with issues like registries, irq and hardware conflicts, virus/spyware, mobo BIOS crap, and osx updates your system more or less in one updater built into the OS. List goes on and on.. Only thing PCs have going for them imo is you can build and mod them yourself.. I prefer this.. but XP is NOT WOTH IT! :D

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
I have the config in my signature.

This is easily the best machine I've ever owned. As the first mac I've owned with an intel processor, it's freaking amazing.

I've had some hard crashes. I'm sure more bugs will be worked out in Leopard.

Regardless of what other users tell you, Apple DOES repackage bugfixes as new operating systems.

Spotlight, for instance, is absolutely worthless on my machine.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
I have the config in my signature.

This is easily the best machine I've ever owned. As the first mac I've owned with an intel processor, it's freaking amazing.

I've had some hard crashes. I'm sure more bugs will be worked out in Leopard.

Regardless of what other users tell you, Apple DOES repackage bugfixes as new operating systems.

Spotlight, for instance, is absolutely worthless on my machine.

Quicksilver FTW! :D

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
3 ghz quad core
2 gb ram
stock 250 gb drive (and just ordered a 500 gb samsung spinpoint)
22" samsung widescreen
x1900

I use it for Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and a windows program I need to have running in parallels.

I'm pretty happy with the purchase, got it a few months ago, after not having a mac for 6 years.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
See sig..
I use it for alot of multi tasking everything from photo editing to msn, to large amounts of web browsing to some games, music, some video editing.:D

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
See my sig....

I use mine for Podcasting,audio work in Pro Tools, Motion, 3 camera angle edits in Final Cut Pro,
DVD Studio Pro, iWeb, light photos with Lightroom, mail, web, Quickbooks accounting.....
and it's super fast! :D

I'll be upgrading the video card soon though and probably adding another Dell 2407.

hersheytx

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2007
I've got:
8-core 3GHz Mac Pro
ATI X1900XT 512MB graphics card
5GB RAM
2- 500GB Hard Drive
Dual Superdrives
Airport & BlueTooth

I got mine with Aperture. Wanted to start getting into photo stuff in a big way. Do some things for my Food/Deli business and Web Pages.
I also wanted to use Bootcamp for online games that I play on my PC. Everquest 2, Dark Age of Camelot. That kind of stuff.
So far everything has been very good.
Speed is flawless. I did upgrade my DSL to 3-6 MPS from less then 1.5 MPS.
Both the extra ram and higher DSL speeds make a big difference in any online game.
I really notice the difference in speed. I came from a Pent. 4 - 2.66 ghz. machine. WIth 4 gigs of Ram. The top video card. In truth I would have kept it but I needed another video card to do some things. I could not upgrade it any longer.

I have never owned a MAC. Played with them a bit in the late 80s in college. But decided to make the leap after Apple discovered Intel chips and Bootcamp.
I will never look back. Its like dropping Cable and going to Satellite. Or FM to XM. Its just to much fun.
6k is a bit much to spend for a computer not dedicated for a business purpose. But I figure if it lasts 5-6 years it was worth every penny. Heck I hope it goes longer then that. I will upgrade and use it for something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.