Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
The first pic I took with the iPhone and the second I took with the LG Cookie, which has a 3MP camera. It's not a big difference and both pics are bad because this was in terrible light conditions but at least the iPhone's pic HAS COLORS. No, that's not a B&W filter.

Attachments

• photo1235258116128.jpg
    photo1235258116128.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 255
  • P210209_22.41.jpg
    P210209_22.41.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 221

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
The iPhone camera is okay for quick snaps.

The number of pixels is not necessarily indicative of the quality of the picture taken. So many other factors are just, if not more, important.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
The iPhone camera is okay for quick snaps.

The number of pixels is not necessarily indicative of the quality of the picture taken. So many other factors are just, if not more, important.

I know, but a lot of people don't understand that.

Theaser

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Does anyone think those two 0.3 MP cameras on the new Nintendo DSi has no point and no function whatsoever? Maybe you should compare the pictures taken from that to the LG Cookie. :D

bingbong951

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2009
Its good

I think you know the iPhones camera isnt like the best but its good if you dont care like about mp. The screen is perfect to take pictures and i love it!!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I know, but a lot of people don't understand that.
I didn't mean to imply that you didn't.

And I agree with your second part. Went through this with the point and shoot cameras with the usual how many pixels does your camera have routine. Many didn't understand the difference between glass and plastic lens, aperture, shutter speed, etc.

With bright lighting I think my iPhone does just fine! :)
The iPhone camera is good in well lit situations. Great for a quick snapshot which is the purpose of a phone camera IMHO with today's technology.

I can't believe I have to promote the LG Cookie, this is a piece of crap. :mad:
Why? Curious?

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Went through this with the point and shoot cameras with the usual how many pixels does your camera have routine. Many didn't understand the difference between glass and plastic lens, aperture, shutter speed, etc.

The iPhone camera is good in well lit situations. Great for a quick snapshot which is the purpose of a phone camera IMHO with today's technology.

The iPhone's lens, shutter speed, ability to adjust etc aren't particularily good.

I wouldn't say the iPhone camera is good in well lit situations, just less awful. It's by no means good in any situation.

Heck, the ergonomics of pressing that tiny area of the screen are terrible for most human arms in terms of introducing camera shake, which given the slow capture time and bad low light performance tend to make for very bad pictures.

And I can't see how you can say it's good for a quick snapshot, the purpose of a camera phone, when it doesn't work in anything but reasonably strong sunlight. I live in England. There hasn't been reasonably strong sunlight here for eight years.

Phazer

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
I'd say, it's still pretty decent, for a 2MP camera, with zero features.

I took these during last night's UFC 95, from the O2 Arena, London:
Click for full size.

Images are raw and unedited.

akeemD

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2008
UK
I find that those who don't have an iphone tend to be the ones who think the camera is bad based upon it having 2MP, when infact it's not bad at all imo.

Jonny75

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
UK
I find that those who don't have an iphone tend to be the ones who think the camera is bad based upon it having 2MP, when infact it's not bad at all imo.

Megapixels, lens, sensor sizes.... the iPhone is a terrible camera compared to the competitors.

With the market such that compact camera play second fiddle to many camera-phones in image quality, the iPhone sticks out.

Fixed focus, terrible noise, desperate lag, no flash, colour wash.. euch. It needs fixed. It's no use defending it here-- every review, however enthusiastic and recommending outside Apple forums, slates the iPhone camera and that perception of "poor camera" is market wide. It's the phone's major Achilles heal and is hurting sales. Believe it or not, people buy phones for 1) Talking 2) Messaging and 3) taking pictures. Not iFart, UI or YouTube.

Get it sorted in June, Apple! ;o)

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
It's the phone's major Achilles heal and is hurting sales. Believe it or not, people buy phones for 1) Talking 2) Messaging and 3) taking pictures. Not iFart, UI or YouTube.
Maybe so, but with the camera issues being common knowledge, people still buy iPhones in their droves and they buy them primarily for the phone + iPod intergration, imo.

puercaeli

macrumors regular
May 10, 2008
Megapixels, lens, sensor sizes.... the iPhone is a terrible camera compared to the competitors.

With the market such that compact camera play second fiddle to many camera-phones in image quality, the iPhone sticks out.

Fixed focus, terrible noise, desperate lag, no flash, colour wash.. euch. It needs fixed. It's no use defending it here-- every review, however enthusiastic and recommending outside Apple forums, slates the iPhone camera and that perception of "poor camera" is market wide. It's the phone's major Achilles heal and is hurting sales. Believe it or not, people buy phones for 1) Talking 2) Messaging and 3) taking pictures. Not iFart, UI or YouTube.

Get it sorted in June, Apple! ;o)

I second that too.

What most people are complaining about is not megapixel...
it's more to do with lens features such as auto focus and stuff.
At the moment iPhone camera is as good as iSight(which is also 2MP I think).

There is no need for great camera on iPhone but at least something with auto focus....

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
The iPhone's lens, shutter speed, ability to adjust etc aren't particularily good.
That's true. No argument there.

I wouldn't say the iPhone camera is good in well lit situations, just less awful. It's by no means good in any situation.
Agree.

And I can't see how you can say it's good for a quick snapshot, the purpose of a camera phone, when it doesn't work in anything but reasonably strong sunlight. I live in England. There hasn't been reasonably strong sunlight here for eight years.
Snort! :)

markel253

macrumors regular
May 17, 2008
This is an image I took with my iPhone 3G yesterday. I wouldn't want to replace my camera with it, but this aint bad.

Attachments

• 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    428.3 KB · Views: 266
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.