If you think the preorder process was bad,

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by krustopher, Jun 15, 2010.

1. krustopher macrumors newbie

Wait until the launch day. This is going to make the activation process on the first gen iPhone look like a cakewalk. I certainly hope everyone has a spare phone to use. I remember it took 3 days after the original launch for my iPhone to work. One would think they would have ironed out some of the problems after 3 years of this, but evidently not.

Good luck ladies and gentlemen

2. dojoman macrumors 65816

It looks like 3GS wasn't as popular as iPhone4. I didn't see this kind of ruckus on 3GS launch.

3. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

The 3GS wasn't that much of an upgrade to warrant the response that the iPhone 4 is getting. The lines will be crazy at the stores on the 24th.

4. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I have a feeling I'm going to be holding a sexy, shiny brick for a few hours on launch day. Oh well, I'll fondle it until it works.

:D

5. ItsThatKush macrumors regular

3GS wasn't nearly as big as the 3G. I'm expecting iPhone 4 to be biggest one ever.

6. L3MON macrumors member

this is awful, I can't even imagine what launch day is gonna be like....this is the 4th phone to be released, and NO ONE anticipated the enormous amount of response they'd be getting? come on Apple, don't put your **** out if its not ready!! that bothers me so much! especially concerning the white iphone...wtfff?

7. Zipties macrumors member

That's what she said.

8. Spidermonkey macrumors newbie

It's ok everyone I've been reliably informed the world won't stop spinning.

9. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

lolz

:)

10. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Yes, I have the feeling that activation on Launch Day is going to be a major snafu. Every other year I've been lucky but if there is this much difficulty in even simply trying to reserve the bloody iPhone online, you know that there will be hassles on Launch Day with activation!

11. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

I think next week could be difficult full stop. From Monday onwards there's gonna be the 4.0 download for the 70+ million iPhone & iPod Touch users.

That'll keep everyone going for three days until the iPhone 4 comes out on the Friday, then iTunes will melt again.

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If anything like this morning, ATT computers will crash and burn for days upon activation day!:apple:

13. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

iPhone 4 launch has been doomed since April

• Leaked iPhone images all over the web
    • 2nd leaked iPhone
    • Wifi troubles during announcement
    • pre-order process gone wrong

What else could possibly happen?

I think Apple will HAVE to change tactics for future product launches.
    It's hard being at the top I suppose.

14. Krayd2k macrumors member

ill probably just wait a day to activate it after i get it

15. StPatty33 macrumors 6502

StPatty33

+1

16. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I had not even thought about this, but you're all totally right. Very good chance we will get our phones in the mail and not be able to use them that day. Oh well, I've been waiting to upgrade now for months- another day or two won't kill me I suppose.

17. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Not going to bother trying to activate until I get home from work on the 24th. You'd think after 3 launches they'd figure out how to get their servers to handle the load... The only bright side is that hopefully these preorder issues get them to realize they need a hell of a lot more capacity for launch day.

18. magpie maniac macrumors 6502

magpie maniac

My goal is to simply order two phones, two bumpers, and then go to the beach the week after the phones are delivered. When I return, the bumpers should be arriving and the servers should have calmed down. We'll see I guess.

19. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I would be shocked if I activate the day I get it

20. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Very true. I predict you won't be able to activate it until the wee hours of the morning. High times 10-6 pm anywhere is a guaranteed fail.

21. mrscrouge macrumors member

quick question, people that preorder with the option to pick up in store dont have to make the lines on launch day correct??. i would figure they have that preference or having preordered?. thats why im still undecided on whether to pre-order and go around 9-10 a.m to pick up (i just dont wanna end up having to wait hours in line) , or pre-order and get it in the mail around 4-5 pm. any suggestions?

22. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

I thought I read that the shipped phones were supposed to be ready to go without further activation?

Maybe from ATT, and not Apple?

23. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

You always need to hook it up to iTunes and go through the initial setup and activation.

24. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

And yet 3G owners don't get multitasking. I'd say there was a significant upgrade buried in the 3GS. 3G was the minor upgrade.

25. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

3GS was a big upgrade over the 3G. The only thing the 3g did over version one was 3G networking.

3GS doubled the process speed, doubled the memory, added a GPS chip, added a compass, added video, boosted the battery, added voice control, and bumped up the camera to 3MP.