If you think today was bad....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gboykin, Jun 15, 2010.

1. gboykin macrumors newbie

Just wait until we all try to activate our phones on the 24th.

I can't wait........

2. frostraven macrumors member

frostraven

haha yea. I remember that being a problem last year for the 3gs. good times.

3. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i fear that day, i'm thinking I wont even attempt unboxing until some wacked out hour when nobody in their right mind would be awake

4. dagomike macrumors 65816

I have to do a upgrade swap so I have to call. I might be better off going down to a store, depending when they sell out/UPS gets here.

Ugh.

If things weren't such a mess I would have done direct fulfillment through ATT again.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I reserved my iPhone for in-store pick up, and the e-mail confirmation says that the Apple Store will open at 7am and I will have till the end of the day on the 24th to pick up my phone.

I'm definitely not going to be their at 7am, so I think I'll just wake up regular time and log on to MacRumors to see how the day is going, if the servers have crashed, I'll wait to go in, other wise I'll be in before noon.

6. kryten3000 macrumors regular

kryten3000

very unhappy

I really had higher expectations from Apple, AT&T I can understand, but not Apple. I am very disappointed in Steve Jobs. :(

7. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

Apple is dependent on the verification from AT&T. How is it his fault?

8. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

I understand that the bottleneck appears to be on the ATT side. But since you asked the question, apple could have asked for a shadow database of all of ATTs upgrade eligibility information and handled the load in-house.

I'm betting either way we would have had issues.

9. Bigyella macrumors member

I am more worried about OS4, update... Since the new phone wont be out, all will be trying to update. Just to get a glimpse, of OS4. That includes, everyone, that is not even interested in the iphone 4. So we got 2 crash days coming next week!

10. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

That sort of thing is not as easy as you make it sound.

11. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

I think I will just take my sweet time unboxing and drooling over it instead of trying to activate it.

12. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

the real test will come on Monday (june 21st) when over 90 million iPhone and iPod touch users will upgrade to the new 4.0 software. If the servers crash again than we can blame Apple for today, but if all goes smoothly (doubt it) than we can blame AT&T for today.

13. Tech-Minded macrumors regular

So I'll have to bring the new phone to ATT store when it comes on the 24th to perform the "upgrade swap"?

14. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Another reason I'm glad I opted for store pick up. Will walk out of the Apple store with no problems.

15. Tech-Minded macrumors regular

Yeah, you'll just have to wait five hours in a line

16. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

agreed.
    Apple likes to hide behind AT&T when things go wrong.
    Apple is in charge of the relationship. If they want the credit when things go right, they need to take the blame when things go wrong.....

17. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

I don't think It'll be that bad for me. My Apple store is in NYC but its a Staten Island mall. The Apple stores in the city itself are a whole different story...or so I hope. I figure if I get there at 6:30 or so I'll be outta there by 9 or 10am the latest. Still alot earlier than if I had to wait for Fed Ex. Plus, I'm gonna be at the Met/Detroit game that night and will be leaving my house around 4:30 and wanna make sure I have it. Gotta record David Wright in 720 HD! lol

18. Tech-Minded macrumors regular

Nice! I was just going to reserve as well, but the woman at the Apple Store told me that I was going to have to wait in like everyone else. Sister's graduating that day so I couldn't.

But I still get an iPhone anyway!

19. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

The 24th is going to be another nightmare. AT&T is the BP of cell phone service providers. They never seem to do things the right way.

20. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

You mean like 3 am central? When the preorders started and the servers were already screwed up? lol

21. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

that was your first mistake right there.

22. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Yeah, unless the AT&T servers crash and you have to wait around longer to actually get it activated (happened during the 3G launch, IIRC). Even if they let you leave without activating, doubt the experience from home will be any better--might not have it activated until late in the day.

I was finally able to place my ship to home order at about 9 pm so I can cancel my in store reservation and activate from home later that night, hopefully avoiding the server crush that's bound to happen during the day.

23. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

It is pretty much a given that the servers will be down that day

Not a chance in hell either AT&T or Apple will be prepared for it.

24. dagomike macrumors 65816

No, you can do it over the phone. I was saying it may be faster/easier to just drive down to a store if the iPhone gets delivered late in the day. I'm sure their call centers will be overloaded.

25. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

Your iPhone gets activated the same way at the Apple store as it would at your home: on iTunes. At least that's what they did last year with my 3GS.

Whatever the case, I see no reason why anybody would even think about going to an apple store June 24th. Just get it shipped to your house.