Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inigel

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
No where
What about iDisks? I currently have between 11-12GB stored on my iDisk.

Looks like I'll have to automatically upgrade when MobileMe is shut down.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Unmatched music does not count into 5GB, that limit is 25000 songs. See iCloud fineprint #2

5GB limits only applies to for mail (me.com), documents, Camera Roll, account information, settings, and other app data.

Nope, you read it wrong. The 25000 song limit includes matched songs, only iTunes purchases are excluded. I can't find it on the Apple site but I believe that unmatched and uploaded songs count against the 5 gig.

25000 uploaded songs could be well over 100 gigs, is it really realistic to think that would be offered along with the streaming and upgrade of matched files for $25 per year?

I thought this would happen, I think we will be seeing much more of this. How does apple expect you to have less then 2500 songs? P2P enyone? :cool:

Where did you get that 2500 number from? The space limit only includes songs NOT matched (meaning not available from the iTunes store). And I doubt many people have that many songs not in the store.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
Seems reasonable. Much like when your cellular provider warns you about going over your data cap.

I'd imagine quite a few people will upgrade their storage.

I agree.

Actually it's a bargain as I doubt it will be over the $99 I was already spending on MobileMe.

Plus the extra functionality of iCloud would be worth it to me even if I ended up spending $150 per year.

Fact: You get what you PAY For.

It's a win/win no matter how you look at it.

This is not some low class operation like Dell, this is Apple :)

eNcrypTioN

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2009
I wish Apple had a referral program like Dropbox has. It would be nice to be able to earn extra space just by referring others to the service. IKve maxed out on how much free space I can earn (20gbs).

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
The whole thing I'm hung up over is that I have one Apple ID that has all my songs/apps and I have an Apple ID that has all my Mobile Me info. I have to blend those two to use the cloud, so how is that going to work?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Unmatched music does not count into 5GB, that limit is 25000 songs. See iCloud fineprint #2

5GB limits only applies to for mail (me.com), documents, Camera Roll, account information, settings, and other app data.

_Matched_ music doesn't count against your limit, because Apple isn't going to store it anyway; when you download it, it comes straight from the music store. _Unmatched_ music needs to be uploaded, Apple has to store it, so it counts against your 5 GB limit.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
what exactly counts toward the 5gb quota? is it your phone settings, email setup, contacts, calendars etc.... Or is it music, books, movies, podcasts etc... Or both?

if it's the latter then I would imagine most people will fill up their quota really fast.

Pretty sure they said, anything purchased via iTunes doesn't count as a part of the storage

ttonka71

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2010
Tallahassee
icloud question please help!

ok so lets say I have 20000 songs, and only 5000 i purchased from itunes! once my other 15000 songs are matched, will I be able to download the 15000(ripped cd's, amazon purchases ect) songs to my other 9 devices just like the itunes purchases? or those 15000 songs are going to be only streaming? anyone knows for sure how this is going to work? Thnks!:cool:

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
ok so lets say I have 20000 songs, and only 5000 i purchased from itunes! once my other 15000 songs are matched, will I be able to download the 15000(ripped cd's, amazon purchases ect) songs to my other 9 devices just like the itunes purchases? or those 15000 songs are going to be only streaming? anyone knows for sure how this is going to work? Thnks!:cool:

Just like iTunes purchases. There are no streaming of any kind with iCloud.

I think Apple is making things confusing by putting re-downloading of purchases and iTunes under the iCloud banner.

edwurtle

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
_Matched_ music doesn't count against your limit, because Apple isn't going to store it anyway; when you download it, it comes straight from the music store. _Unmatched_ music needs to be uploaded, Apple has to store it, so it counts against your 5 GB limit.

yes and no.

iTunes match subscription includes:
  • unlimited songs purchased from iTunes
  • 25,000 songs that are not purchased from iTunes
  • None of the above goes towards 5GB limit.

It's that simple, that's the list.

25,000 songs that are not purchased from iTunes include both matched and unmatched songs. Uploaded unmatched songs does not count towards the 5GB limit.

Last edited:

jason928

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2011
photostream and camera roll

In iOS 5, is the photostream going to replace the Camera Roll?

Currently if you take pictures in iOS 4, it goes to the Camera Roll. I am wondering if this is still true in iOS 5 with iCloud, will it still go to Camera Roll, or photostream, or both? Since the Camera roll is also backed up and count towards the 5GB, it would be nice to always keep it clean.

On the other hand, since photostream has a limit of 1000 photos, does that mean I will lose photos if I don't move it manually to a custom folder, within 30 days?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
The whole thing I'm hung up over is that I have one Apple ID that has all my songs/apps and I have an Apple ID that has all my Mobile Me info. I have to blend those two to use the cloud, so how is that going to work?
This has been talked about a lot and I believe you "can" keep them separate. In my case I want to keep them separate so my wife and I can share iTunes Purchases but also keep our Mail, Calendar, Contacts Separate (like now with MM and iTunes).

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
In iOS 5, is the photostream going to replace the Camera Roll?

Currently if you take pictures in iOS 4, it goes to the Camera Roll. I am wondering if this is still true in iOS 5 with iCloud, will it still go to Camera Roll, or photostream, or both? Since the Camera roll is also backed up and count towards the 5GB, it would be nice to always keep it clean.

On the other hand, since photostream has a limit of 1000 photos, does that mean I will lose photos if I don't move it manually to a custom folder, within 30 days?

The way I understood it after watching the keynote, PhotoStream works like an album on all your devices. It doesn't replace the camera roll. On the iPhone and iPad it saves the last 1000 pictures and on a Mac it saves everything. Photos are deleted from iCloud after 30 days, but they will stay permanently on the device they are taken with and any Mac that is synched with your iCloud.

qubex

macrumors 6502
I wonder what heinous transfers of intellectual property the EULA will force us to agree to. I wonder to what extent we’ll be barred from doing filesystem-type maintenance on “our” iCloud. I wonder if there’ll be an official way of backing up one’s cloud offline in a format that can be examined, and/or restored. I wonder how any company can tout a UNIX-derived OS that has (iOS) and is attempting to (OSX) hide the filesystem from the user. I wonder if they’ve considered that pumping all this traffic through cellular phone systems will cost users a devastating expense in data fees while simultaneously bringing those networks to their knees.

In short, it strikes me as an idea that deserves to fail for the sake of the common good, but probably won’t. Personally, I’m praying for another Ping fiasco.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
It's true that MobileMe was a dud, as was Ping, but something tells me this will work. Not as well as some of us might like, (or perhaps it will?) but I'm thinking Apple has got a formula down where it works well enough to make them a massive amount of income monthly.

Apple always gets the money.

What we will get in return is the big question I have. The more I read the various reports around the web, the more questions I have. Questions I'm not even going to bother posting, since it will be moot in a very short period of time when the service goes live.

At that point Apple will have to disclose the details, even if they do it in an EULA that is ultra fine print and a few hundred pages long. Who knows, but we do know that the money will flow in one direction only, from us to Apple.

Hang onto your hats, it's a new era boys and girls :)

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Got one more question. Do we have to have both Lion and ios 5 before iCloud will sync to all your devices?

qubex

macrumors 6502
Got one more question. Do we have to have both Lion and ios 5 before iCloud will sync to all your devices?

What incentive do they have to back-port it? Of course they're going to push for as uniform a platform-base as possible. The last thing they want is some obscure bug in a release for a defunct OS running on a gadget that hasn't generated revenue for years to screw up a trans-system architecture.

Imagine an ancient Tiger machine is somehow connected to iCloud and does something unexpected - percolating the error onto newer Lion and iOS5 machines subscribed to the same account. The user will get a lousy user experience and will expect it to be rectified, but Apple no longer maintains that OS.

So yes, they'll almost certainly force the software upgrade. It generates revenue and it decreases trouble. It's a double-win for them.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
What incentive do they have to back-port it? Of course they're going to push for as uniform a platform-base as possible. The last thing they want is some obscure bug in a release for a defunct OS running on a gadget that hasn't generated revenue for years to screw up a trans-system architecture.

Imagine an ancient Tiger machine is somehow connected to iCloud and does something unexpected - percolating the error onto newer Lion and iOS5 machines subscribed to the same account. The user will get a lousy user experience and will expect it to be rectified, but Apple no longer maintains that OS.

So yes, they'll almost certainly force the software upgrade. It generates revenue and it decreases trouble. It's a double-win for them.

Mobile Me worked regardless of the OS on your computer and did it pretty well. Since iCloud won't work without both Lion and 5, will those who don't plan to upgrade immediately to Lion be able to upgrade to iOS 5 and still have functioning Mobile Me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.