Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oplix

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
Apple is strictly releasing a prototype consumer product this year and will naturally "perfect" the design next year by re-releasing the iPhone X with touchID embedded into the screen and the notch completely removed for a uniform screen.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

LiemTa

Suspended
Jun 2, 2014
Or, I can buy iPhone X this year, sell it, and buy next year’s iPhone as well. No need to wait. There is no prize for sufffering.

Reactions: RandyMass

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Can you imagine what they could do with the notch though? The hardware, selfie camera, projector, etc. has to go somewhere... unless your thinking they do an inverse notch where it would stick up above the flat edge of the phone XD

Reactions: LadyX and tkermit

iScone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Every year a bunch of people are unhappy. That's been the way it is since the orignal iPhone. There will never be consensus on a "perfect" phone.

The X has probably been in planning and testing more than any other iPhone made since the original. If any year is safe to upgrade to a fresh iteration, it's this one.

Reactions: dexterie and LadyX

LiemTa

Suspended
Jun 2, 2014
No the point is if you don't like the notch. Has nothing to do with incremental upgrades.

That notch isn’t going anywhere for another 3-6 years while they figure out how to make a REAL edge to edge display without the cheating notch.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I’ve said this before, but I think it sums up my feelings well:

I view the iPhone X as the iOS counterpart of the 12" MacBook.

The MacBook was super expensive for what it was, but was the new kid on the block that brought all kinds of innovations (new keyboard, ultra thin design, Force Touch) that were eventually brought to the remaining line.

The iPhone X is the new cutting edge product that is substantially more expensive just for the sake of being new. In time it will be refined and it's innovations will flow to the rest of the line. I couldn't justify spending the money not the first generation MacBook and I can't on this first generation product either.

The X will get minor refinements next year and the successor to the iPhone 8 will get more significant changes.

Reactions: drzen and twinlight

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Apple is strictly releasing a prototype consumer product this year and will naturally "perfect" the design next year by re-releasing the iPhone X with touchID embedded into the screen and the notch completely removed for a uniform screen.
No such thing as a perfect phone. I mean if you want a perfected iPhone, get the 8. It’s been the same design for 4 years I’m sure it’s the final form of that evolution.

If you want something new and exciting the X is the only option unless you want to switch to Android.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
No the point is if you don't like the notch. Has nothing to do with incremental upgrades.

In theory, couldn't the notch be removed any time with a software update to simply allow the option to permanently blacken the corners? In any case, it doesn't really bother me. There's always something coming next year, and not to sound grim or anything, but none of us is guaranteed another year or even another day on this Earth. This year's X looks to be a pretty substantial upgrade over what I have. If I had a 7 or maybe even a 6s I would hold off another year, but if you spend too long waiting for perfection you never enjoy anything along the way.
[doublepost=1505792355][/doublepost]
No such thing as a perfect phone. I mean if you want a perfected iPhone, get the 8. It’s been the same design for 4 years I’m sure it’s the final form of that evolution.

If you want something new and exciting the X is the only option unless you want to switch to Android.

That's true. When you think about it, the 8 and 8 Plus are the "safest" most tried and true iPhones ever.

Reactions: tkermit

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
Next yrs is same as 2017
just another upgrade with Blush Gold

If you want better smart phone and diff design just foward to
samsung or lg

if your lif with apple then live with 8/X :rolleyes:

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I don't like either, but Keep dreaming if you think faceid and the notch going away anytime soon. Touchid is now an endangered species in iPhones.

Also. The X(s) is just going to have a faster Faceid with the usual CPU and gpu upgrades. Craigs demo of faceid has it about the same speed as first gen touchid.

Reactions: LadyX

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
When a new device is released, the first year of that new device is kind of a starting point where it improves from that point forward. So naturally, the next revision we see next year will be a more refined of version of what we see for the next iPhone X now.

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
Apple are going to look really stupid if they re-introduce Touch ID to the next gen iPhone X, after boasting about how much of an improvement Face ID is re security. I can hear Phil Schiller's voice already... "We call it, Touch ID 2, and you're gonna love it".

Actually, they'd probably call it something else to make it sound like they hadn't just re-introduced Touch ID. Perhaps they'll call it "Print ID" or something.

Deeds500

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2014
Apple are going to look really stupid if they re-introduce Touch ID to the next gen iPhone X, after boasting about how much of an improvement Face ID is re security. I can hear Phil Schiller's voice already... "We call it, Touch ID 2, and you're gonna love it".

Actually, they'd probably call it something else to make it sound like they hadn't just re-introduced Touch ID. Perhaps they'll call it "Print ID" or something.

Touch screen ID and it will blow on Face ID.

Damon2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
Then you can wait until the year after for the truly perfect iPhone X...:rolleyes:

TouchID's gone it isn't coming back from the sounds of it, from Gruber talking with his sources who said Apple decided FaceID was the way to go last year and ditched their attempts at TouchID in the display ages ago - despite false rumours claiming they were rushing to do it all Summer.

And Carls techcrunch interview.

Reactions: Patriks7

acorntoy

macrumors 68010
May 25, 2010
You don't know Apple do you? Every iPhone is "perfect" the year it is released. There will perpetually be a better phone.

Uh...

The 4 has cellular problems (4S fixed)
The 5's paint job was extremely fragile to the point of hilarity (fixed with "space gray" in 5s)
The 6 had touchgate (6S fixed)

Typically Apple doesn't hit it out of the park with their first phones after a major design change, it takes them a while to perfect it. My 7+ is the most solid iPhone I've ever had and I believe that to be because it's the third year it's had the relatively same design, and the process is extremely mature. Hope adding glass to the 8+ doesn't affect it too much.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Uh...

The 4 has cellular problems (4S fixed)
The 5's paint job was extremely fragile to the point of hilarity (fixed with "space gray" in 5s)
The 6 had touchgate (6S fixed)

Typically Apple doesn't hit it out of the park with their first phones after a major design change, it takes them a while to perfect it. My 7+ is the most solid iPhone I've ever had and I believe that to be because it's the third year it's had the relatively same design, and the process is extremely mature. Hope adding glass to the 8+ doesn't affect it too much.

Don't forget Apple beefing up the 6S so it was less prone to bending like the 6.

Reactions: acorntoy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.