Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
I need it to tell time so I can know if I'm about to be late for work (or, how soon until I can get off work). :p

...also, for checking notifications while I'm stuck at meetings.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Calendar. I know, it sounds weird, but ... I have 10-20 meetings during the week, each with anywhere from 1-20 clients. I put the names of the attendees as a note on my calendar entry, just to remind myself. Sometimes I'll glance at my watch literally seconds before I enter the room, but being able to greet everyone by name - even if I haven't seen them in a while - is awesome.

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
It's a personal thing - I'm a big believer in my tech being silent in public. Ringers don't actually bother me, but it drives me nuts when people use their speakerphone or watch content in public without headphones. Guess I'm becoming an old man, because I see it more and more these days! :)

So if they don’t use speaker phone you still hear half the conversation, I never got how hearing the other half changed the bother level 🤷‍♂️

Cunir

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2021
Having the next bus and train times just a click away is handy, and I've used all the fitness stuff a lot more than I thought I would. Knowing I could easily pay for transport home and other things if I lost my wallet is handy as well. Message notifications is good because half the time I never felt my phone vibrate in my pocket.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I recently switched to a Casioak g-shock with solar charging (got tired of constantly having to charge AW esp when traveling). The only thing I somewhat miss is fitness tracking.

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Having to have my iPhone on me

So phone/nav/text/email

The fitness stuff is cool, but real world, I just go off what my body tells me vs what the watch tells me anyways, so aside from spo2 when flying unpressurized stuff, I don’t use much of it

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
I stopped 4 years ago and haven't looked back. I don't miss the personal overhead of extra devices (purchase, setup, firmware maintenance, usage, tech support, even more chargers) or the cost of their eventual obligatory replacement.

I did miss mechanical watches.

gear_train_GIF.gif

One maintenance event on a mechanical buys a few Apple Watches lol, plus resetting the time, major overhead of the price, I got a few, but if “overhead” even enters the conversation the quartz citizen or seiko is the only logical answer

Seiko4169

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
England
Stopped wearing mine 6 months ago, don’t miss anything. Nice not to have the notifications or think about a battery recharge.

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Morning alarm and messaging. The watch alarm is so pleasant at 5am.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.