If your local news reported a verizon iphone as FACT, post here

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lilcosco08, Oct 10, 2010.

1. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

I guess news stations can't tell the difference between rumors and facts :rolleyes:

2. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Yup, one of my local news stations stated iPhones coming to Verizon early next year per WSJ. Never heard the word rumor.

3. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

funniest thing, I heard it on the baseball today podcast from espn that the iphone was coming to verizon next year, and stated as a fact.

4. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

5. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

KNBC reported it last night as "leaked information."

6. aohus macrumors 68000

uh.. its coming to verizon. idk why you all keep doubting. its coming sometime in 2011. deal with it please.

7. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

The point is, it's not FACT yet. Apple nor Verizon have announced it.

8. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Two words, Verizon & Apple are both rather polarizing. I'm not the least surprised over the huge number of threads and misinformation.

Since I'm both a Verizon and AT&T customer I will find it quite entertaining once the iPhone is sold by the big V if it happens. Suddenly everyone who migrates to Verizon only to find the grass is not greener will be very surprised :)

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You are right in a way. However, for me the grass will be greener when I switch next month because my service with AT&T is terrible in my house and in various other places. Tested verizon and it is better. Its really situational but for me the move will mean I get to use my phone as a phone. I'll buy the droid x on a one yesr contract then will buy the iPhone if it hits verizon. I'll welcome the iPhone back in my life because it is really what kept me with AT&T after I moved to a place that had shoddy service. It is tough for me to switch because i've been with them since they were PAC Bell wireless, but enough is enough.

10. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Ok, if a tree falls in the forest, but Steve Jobs doesn't announce it at WWDC, is it not a fact that it fell? Things are fact because they are true or exist...not because somebody announces them to be true. True, we don't know if it's a fact yet.....but to say it's not a fact is also false. The proper answer is "I don't know either way", not "it's not a fact".

WSJ is reporting it as fact. Apparently they are that confident in their source. The proper way for other new agencies to report this story is "According to the WSJ....." They do not need to include the word rumor as the WSJ did not include the word rumor in their story. The burden is passed onto the source.

11. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

12. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

so because I can't prove it's wrong means that it's fact? How does that work? It's basically like theory and law. This whole thing is just a theory (our best guess at the moment with the info we have) until anyone one else comes along and proves otherwise. It has not been made scientific law yet.

soooooooooooooooooo...........

It is not FACT!

News outlets can be mislead just like us. Their sources are not always 100% accurate.

It's not just about Apple announcing it. Verizon is a key player in this whole thing too. Neither source has officially announced it.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Its not a fact unless its official.
    Its just a rumor still.

14. walangij macrumors 6502

This is true. Although Gizmodo kinda shattered that this year when they obtained the IP4 prototype. It wasn't official until WWDC but we all knew it was coming. Not the same as this though. The thing is, the same people who get their tech news from the local nightly news aren't concerned about specific release dates, only to know that they are on their way, which I don't think anyone will argue about for much longer.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, that whole thing with gizmodo was a mess though:)

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

If it actually exists and happens, IT IS FACT. If there are a bunch of Chinese workers working hard every day working on getting these phones ready to market, then it exists and is real and IS FACT. Doesn't matter if you know about it or not...still fact.

If it doesn't happen, it was fiction.

The issue is, none of us know at this time if it's fact or fiction. Anybody who states otherwise is either lying or stupid. (Or involved in the negotiations...but those people wouldn't post here.)

17. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

How the hell do you guys manage to change the topic of the discussion so quickly...

Back to the real question, yes, my local news reported that Verizon was in Fact getting the iPhone in "early 2011." KTVU Channel 2 news in the San Francisco Bay Area.

18. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

NY Times + Wall Street Journal = read it and weep

19. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Why are people so concerned that verizon might get the iPhone?

Marc

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Never understood that myself. There are at least 1-2 worried about their T stock. Perhaps some are AT&T employees?

21. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I'm hoping that Apple doesn't go exclusive with Verizon. I am more than happy with AT&T and would hate to have to switch to Verizon just to get next years iPhone. Hopefully they realize exclusivity is bad.

22. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Wouldn't make sense or match up w/ what Apple is doing elsewhere. Exclusivity agreements will all come to an end eventually. But Apple won't be leaving AT&T.

23. Nrwrit3r macrumors 6502a

Yeah this will be funny. But maybe Verizon will benefit? Even if they're as crappy, people will migrate thinking they're better. Once there, they probably won't switch BACK to at&t if it sucks...they'll just stay with Verizon.

So maybe being 2nd to get the iphone will (in the long run) help Verizon a lot. At&t looked like crap from getting it first since it was so much for its networks and all.

24. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I think there will be only one model iPhone for both Att and verizon so you wouldn't have to switch. Could it be the wait of the white?

I am more than happy with Att myself.

Marc

25. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I know allot of people are happy with AT&T. I saw a poll on this site last week that asked if people would switch and there was a huge amount that said no, they would stay with AT&T.