Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
This is why they have a 64GB iPhone.

Anyway, I read this thread, particularly this post, and I think... "you're sitting in a chair... IN THE SKY!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk

Yup, my next will be 64 (or hopefully 128, don't upgrade every year). It's amazing to me that all the people who loudly proclaimed that they would never need more than 8GB on a phone are now touting the benefits of iCloud without thinking about how backwards the whole thing is. The cloud is only good if you can access it whenever you want to, which is clearly not the case here. Ah well, add that to the "things I brought up months ago but now everyone is discussing" list.

Brazzy

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
Welcome to iCloud, " It Just Works".

Oops perhaps not?

Could it be that newer is not always better?

When in the plane, a situation I'm in frequently, I'm enjoying my entire library (thousands of songs) of music via my trusty iPod Classic :)

A device that will shortly be deemed by Apple as no longer relevant.

Isn't it ugly when someone else is making your decisions for you?
:rolleyes:

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
i think people are having a problem because they JUST STARTED using itunes match... when you turn on itunes match it deletes everything off your idevice, but every time you listen to a song from the cloud, it downloads it to your device. so if you have been listening to music for a while you will have a lot of songs stored on your device. unless of course you keep deleting everything after you listen to it, then you will always have this problem. if you go to a playlist on your iphone and scroll all the way to the bottom there is an option to download all, if you're used to syncing itunes via playlists that is kind of the icloud equivalent.

and as someone else mentioned, when you are without internet access, you can go into music settings and have it only show what is stored on the device so you don't have to scroll through everything that isn't available

accinfo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Go to Settings>Music and turn off "Show All Music". This will allow you to view and play all of the music that is stored to your device rather than your entire iTunes in the Cloud library.

Thanks, I did that and it shows there are no songs downloaded. When I went to the cloud it must have deleted the previous songs I had downloaded. I will try to download again and see if that works. As long as I can have downloaded songs as well as the cloud I am fine.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
No, it does not.

They're right! It will leave anything you manually synced. It only removes cloud downloads. For instance, if you just bought a song from iTunes and solely downloaded it to your phone from there, but never from your computer, then turning on match will remove it.

I was specifically testing this for someone the other day.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
They're right! It will leave anything you manually synced. It only removes cloud downloads. For instance, if you just bought a song from iTunes and solely downloaded it to your phone from there, but never from your computer, then turning on match will remove it.

I was specifically testing this for someone the other day.

what do you mean by manually sync? manually managed and syncing are two different things...

maybe manually managed music is different but i sync to itunes and when i enabled itunes match it erased ALL my music ?? what did i do wrong?

Last edited:

Big D 51

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Mobile, AL
Glad you pointed this out. Getting on a plane with no music would stink. I'm staying cloud free unless I need the service. I haven't been on a domestic flight yet that has wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.