If your vehicle has remote keyless do you have it honk with unlocks and locks?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Apr 7, 2010.

?

1. Yes I let the car honk when the doors lock

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  2. Yes I let the car honk when the doors unlock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes I let the car honk when the doors lock and unlock

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. No I don't let the car honk at all.

18 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Honking while locking makes sense. As I am walking away from my car it's nice to have the auditory feedback.

Honking while unlocking makes no sense. If I am unlocking I am subsequently opening the door. If it's still locked that's all the feedback I need to unlock it again.

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

My car doesn't honk when I unlock and lock my vehicle.

5. ethical macrumors 68000

A honk is pretty loud. Can't it just do the 'click' that normal cars do?

6. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Mine doesn't honk. But you hear it clicking. On my keys, there is only one button that opens and locks the car. The lights on the car flash twice when it's locked and once when it's opened.

7. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Neither. I see no need to disturb everyone with honking, besides, the lights flash and I can easily hear the locks themselves actuating.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I have mine honk when it is locking. I normally kick it as I am walking away from my car so it is how I know my car is locked. Unlocking I just have it flash the lights.

That set up makes sense to me as when I am locking the car I normally am walking away from my car so my backed is turned and when I am unlocking it I am walking to the car so facing it.
    If I am some were that it would be to load or the honking would cause problems I lock the car manually with the power door locks before I leave the car. Those times are normally late at night when people are generally asleep.

9. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I drive a 2001 Jeep Cherokee (Sport Edition) and I don't have a choice. Mine honks when it locks and does nothing when it unlocks.

My wife, on the other hand, drives a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Special Edition) and she has the option to have it honk or not. She has it set to honk on lock and not honk on unlock plus the turn signals flash a couple times.

By the way, this is almost as ridiculous as some other polls out there. :D

10. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

No poll option, but I vote: Bets Thread Yet, 2010

*double face palm*

11. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

My car (a 2010 Prius II) doesn't honk, it beeps. But when I lock it using the remote, or by using the touch sensitive area on the driver's door handle, it beeps once; when I unlock it using the remote, or the touch sensitive area it beeps twice. There isn't a way to change what the prius does when you lock or unlock it. The lights also flash when locking or unlocking the car.

And just out of curiosity, why do you want to know?

Don

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

2009 VW GTI, honks once and flashes lights once when locking, flashes lights twice and doesn't honk when unlocking, in case anybody actually cares.

postCount++; ;)

13. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I have the option, but I left it on for the same reason most claim (when I'm not next to the car), it also helps to find it when you're completely lost lol.

To the dude with the older GC: you can turn it off, but it involves a certain procedure involving door handle pulls and stuff lol :D Check your owner's manual.

14. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

My car does the old school 'chirp chirp' sound. Fortunately it can be turned off. So only the lights flash, and if you're really close, you can hear the locks.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

16. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

The dude with the mean tuck job?

17. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I have it programmed to honk only if I press either button twice. I will usually press the lock button twice to make it honk if there are people around when I park it so they are aware of the alarm.

18. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Try this:
    To program the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) receiver to disable the horn chirp feature, proceed as follows:

Press and hold the Lock button, of a programmed RKE transmitter, depressed for five to ten seconds.
    While holding the RKE transmitter Lock button depressed, press and release the RKE transmitter Unlock button.
    The horn chirp feature is now disabled. Repeating the preceding steps will again enable the horn chirp feature.

Should work on XJ's.

19. grinnelljd macrumors newbie

My car came with the honk on as the default, but it was the first thing I changed after getting the car home. I prefer the more subtle flashing of the lights instead.

20. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Honks when it locks and flashes the lights. When it unlocks the flashers flash or, if night time, they flash and the headlights and reverse lights come on to see around it.

21. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I used to have a Jeep in a color that wasn't very common, so I turned off the honk in favor of just having the lights flash because the honk is annoying. But now I have a black VW (far more common), so I let it honk when it locks because, when I'm wandering around the parking lot looking for it, I can press the lock button to make it honk...so I can find it.

For what it's worth, it's not a full honk. More like a little beep (and a little more high-pitched than the regular horn).

22. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I can't believe anyone with the option would actually opt for the noise. How annoying and certainly diminishes your stealth! ;)

Mine only flashes the side lights for locking/setting the alarm.

24. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Mine used to honk then I locked it but after I found out how to disable that I did. Mainly for the reasons of not "announcing" every time I came home, which would be really late some nights.

Hmmm. Come to think of it I disabled it cause if that and cause I usually hang out with friends every night and get home between 1am to 4 am and hate bothering houses, whether it be the pppl in my own or nearby. Only cause it's a loud honk, if it was a little beep I wouldn't mind.

25. macbook yes macrumors 6502

My car doesn't honk, but it beeps. Then I can track it down at the mall without having to hit the alarm button.