If you're thinking of buying a Magic Mouse

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gorby, Oct 21, 2010.

1. gorby macrumors 6502

And don't have the opportunity to try it out beforehand for an extended period-- watch the Apple event from yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APYWEWcNKmU&feature=related

The poor guy demoing the Lion preview yesterday had to contend with the lousiness of the Magic Mouse for all to see-- I believe at least twice it scrolled uncontrollably after clicking something (therefore 'flipping' to another unwanted screen before he had to flip back again)

And then there was the part where he demoed 'mission control' which was just an absolute mess with the unresponsive/unpredictable gestures. The guy is a pro but even he got flustered-- even had to say 'excuse me' to the audience as he 'gestured' at least 5 times before it would work at one point. Pretty embarrassing.

Exactly my same experience with the mouse also. (and I tried BTT and Steermouse too) I'm glad I made the decision to return the MM within about a day after I got it (rocking Logitech Performance MX now)

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

That is probably why they came up with the new trackpad so fast. I actually wonder why they didn't use that instead?

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The new mouse and BTT has been nothing short of awesome for me and I am sure there are many that agree.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I bet that your hand would shake too if you had to preview those features in front of dozens of people, let alone the millions who watched the live stream.

Jess hit the head of the nail with her post, I have to agree.

5. jerkstore99 macrumors member

Millions?

6. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

It wasn't just that his hand was shaking. The same thing happens to me all the time - the friction between my finger and the mouse surface will just move the mouse, instead of allowing me to create the gesture.
    I think its a design flaw. perhaps the bottom should be 'grippier.'
    or maybe it could be a bit more form-fitting, because you could see he was also having trouble, since his hand was kid of big (as are mine). its hard to move your fingers down to make the gesures, when they're already wanting to hang half-way out of the mouse pad.
    I agree, the touch pad probably offers more comfort, since its a stable, large pad, but the mouse offers the flexibility of movement.
    The ideal would be a a more nimble pad, or a more solid mouse.

7. thedon1 macrumors 6502

Got my mac about 2 months ago and i love the mouse.

I noticed that guy messing up a couple of gestures but he looked very nervous (as most people would be in that situation).

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Love my Magic Mouse
    Sorry your experience hasn't been as awesome

9. gorby thread starter macrumors 6502

He really only got really shaky once the mouse began messing up. I've seen that guy before at other keynotes/events so it's not his first time in the rodeo.

10. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i broke down and bought one about an hour ago. so far it's worlds better than the Mighty Mouse. no more clogged scroll ball for me. and as far as the mouse malfunction, it was most likely due to interference with the bluetooth. i've had that issue here at home.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I've never used the Magic Mouse before so I can't comment on its usability. But I saw that he was a little nervous in that his hands were shaking slightly. Public speaking can be nerve racking for many. Some eventually get used to it and overcome it and others don't.

I didn't take yesterday's demo "mishap" with his use of the Magic Mouse as proof that it stinks or anything. I chalked his use of it up to nerves.

No biggie.

12. gorby thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually thought it was worse than the mighty mouse, if you can believe it.

And that's a big statement considering I went through 2 mightys (of course the scroll ball died on both). I actually would have been content with the mighty had its one fatal flaw (the ball) didn't exist.

Not only is the magic mouse flatter, it's also heavier. Just uncomfortable as all hell. It looks gorgeous, but I wanted something that just works (;):apple:)

The whole thing with the gestures is really going to come to light as Lion gets all gesture-happy. Notice that it looks like he's three-finger swiping for 'mission control'-- and I don't think it worked as it should any of the times he did.

Two finger swipes were somewhat ok, but glitchy. Three finger gestures, forget it. I gave up. (what benefit is there to swiping when I can just push a button on my Logitech anyway?)

13. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Yeah,he just seem to be a little nervous..... He was in front of quite a few peeps

14. OsideRida06 macrumors member

The magic mouse has been great for me as well. You could tell it was all nerves.

15. gelinasbrian macrumors member

gelinasbrian

I favor the Magic Trackpad to the Magic Mouse.

16. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

No Billions...

17. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

Just want to say this for all those people having problems with the magic mouse due to their "shaky hands". If you cant keep your own hand steady, you should have thought about that before buying the mouse. I like it.

18. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

magic mouse has been great for everyday use. only "issue" is that it eats batteries like crazy.

19. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

http://www.apple.com/battery-charger/ thats where this comes in =D

20. jmor macrumors 6502

I think its all personal opinion, I like using mine.

21. iCole macrumors regular

I liked mine too which came with my iMac. Gestures are easier on the trackpad tho, but the swipe works if you do it loosely, scrolling is perfect. It didn't look ideal for 4 finger swipes tho.

22. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I tried Magic Mouse when it came out. I then sold it.

I love Mighty Mouse though. People gave it a hard time, but I find it very comfortable.

23. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

I've been using the Magic Mouse since January and don't have any of the issues you mention that you or he had. I'm guessing he just doesn't use it normally and wasn't use it. There was definitely a small learning curve with it, but once learned, the thing is the best mouse I've ever used, and I wish I could have one at work because it's easier.

As for "flipping uncontrollably," I think we're looking at unfinished software here, combined, again, with a NERVOUS and NEW Magic Mouse user.

I always amazes me that people are rarely willing to actually give things some time. If it doesn't do exactly what they expect right out of the box, "that's it, it's going back!" It can't be that it might just take some time to get used to. I realize Apple is known for "it just works" products but sometimes even "just works" takes a bit of time to get used to. Muscle memory takes time to build. Watching my 5 year old daughter struggle with smoothly controlling, and *drawing*, with a mouse reminds me how long it took to gain even rudimentary control of just a regular mouse, let alone enough that I can draw with one. Now the MM asks us to do different things right on top of the mouse. New things to learn. Adults need to loosen up and just give things a chance.

24. iPhisch macrumors 6502

eleventy billion, to be exact.

i had the MM, and then got the trackpad when it came out, and haven't turned on the MM since. anyone want a 3 month old MM?

25. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

I was not all that impressed with the my magic mouse until i installed BTT, now thing is great;)