Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jlsteed

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2022
I have a mid-2012 rMBP which has been running fine, albeit a little slow these days (even with OLCP running Ventura). I decided that after 10.5yrs, I needed a new Mac with more 'oomph' as my workload is a bit too heavy for the older Mac to keep up with and for my work, I need a quick machine.
Knowing M2 is not far away (but still unknown), and China factories are suffering from Covid lockdowns/protests etc.., this would undoubtedly affect supply chains and lead times, I decided to go ahead with the M1 Pro and not bother waiting, since I needed the computer now anyway.

It is awesome! No regrets with not waiting. The important thing is to now stop looking at new laptops. Forget about them, and enjoy what you have until it no longer does what you need it to.
If the new one lasts me 10 years like its predecessor I will be more than happy.

Choco Taco

Suspended
Nov 23, 2022
I have a mid-2012 rMBP which has been running fine, albeit a little slow these days (even with OLCP running Ventura). I decided that after 10.5yrs, I needed a new Mac with more 'oomph' as my workload is a bit too heavy for the older Mac to keep up with and for my work, I need a quick machine.
Knowing M2 is not far away (but still unknown), and China factories are suffering from Covid lockdowns/protests etc.., this would undoubtedly affect supply chains and lead times, I decided to go ahead with the M1 Pro and not bother waiting, since I needed the computer now anyway.

It is awesome! No regrets with not waiting. The important thing is to now stop looking at new laptops. Forget about them, and enjoy what you have until it no longer does what you need it to.
If the new one lasts me 10 years like its predecessor I will be more than happy.
I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. It's an amazing machine. I'm not sure if I can hold out for the M2s either. I might just bite the bullet here soon. I'm upgrading for the M1 Air which, while very nice, doesn't quite meet the workload I currently throw at it.

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2020
AE
Finally, unpacked! :D
tempImageOEtTNV.jpg

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i should try to benchmark my macbook air 2010 I'm typing on now?
maybe that benchmark will tell me this macbook air should not function at all!
/benchmarks are for pinch-hitters!

AgentAnonymous

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
OP - great post!

Couldn't agree more. If you're crushing an M1Pro/Max and need more performance then an M2 Pro/Max ain't gonna help. Firstly - what the hell are you doing??? (I've only ever heard the fans spin up once on my M1 Pro). Secondly, if you are disappointed with the performance then you need to get an M1 Ultra or wait for the Mac Pro.

Apple Silicon is the real deal for me. I have an 14" M1 Pro and an 8GB M2 Air. Both are extraordinary. I can't get the M2 to slow down under normal workloads and even so, what is an extra 30 seconds or so for anyone who isn't paid by the hour for their computing work?
It is going to help, because the M2 Pro/Max is superior to the M1 Pro/Max. It's that simple.

AgentAnonymous

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
Buying a M1 Pro/Max machine this close to M2 Pro/Max isn't a very smart move. The only machines on discount were the stock configurations ones with 16gb RAM, which is too little and won't have much longevity anyhow.

Marsikus

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2020
AE
Buying a M1 Pro/Max machine this close to M2 Pro/Max isn't a very smart move. The only machines on discount were the stock configurations ones with 16gb RAM, which is too little and won't have much longevity anyhow.
Considering that fact that M2 13” base model came with 8/256 GB only, there is no guarantee that we will not have to pay extra for 16/512 when next 14” model comes.
In my case, having cashback points starting to expire, and special price in rewards store - I should have done this purchase a month or two earlier without thinking and comparing for so long :D

transphasic

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
If you need to replace an older computer to do work NOW, the next line is not coming out until perhaps April/May or later, and you can currently save $500 - $900 on a MBP now, there is no realistic, rational argument against buying now.

I saved $900 buying a few weeks back, and posted my steal/deal below. If people can snag a high-specced computer like that, not acting is really a poor choice IMO. The M2 iteration will be INCREMENTAL, not monumental.

Attachments

• MBP deal.png
    MBP deal.png
    692.3 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: GCC and VaruLV

GCC

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2021
If you need to replace an older computer to do work NOW, the next line is not coming out until perhaps April/May or later, and you can currently save $500 - $900 on a MBP now, there is no realistic, rational argument against buying now.

I saved $900 buying a few weeks back, and posted my steal/deal below. If people can snag a high-specced computer like that, not acting is really a poor choice IMO. The M2 iteration will be INCREMENTAL, not monumental.
This is a great deal and a beast of a laptop. You will be very happy :)

Reactions: transphasic

transphasic

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
This is a great deal and a beast of a laptop. You will be very happy :)
I wanted to get something that could handle Youtube videos, and I think I succeeded.

It is the little brother to your 16" powerhouse.

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Everyone falls into this, I know I have and the reasons are many
People want to validate the computer they bought, they want to validate the brand they want. Brand Loyalty is at an all time high. I see people all over the interwebs bend over backwards defending apple even when it doesn't make sense.

Benchmarks are the equivalent of waving a male appendix.

I will say that benchmarks can be helpful for purchase decisions, and for hobbyists that upgrade/mod their PCs its very helpful as its a means to measure their changes. This doesn't apply to Macs though simply because you have no way of upgrading your computer after purchase.

Yep, but I think one issue, is that both AMD and Intel have released new generations of their CPUs and in both cases the improvements are significant. In Intel's case their last 2 or 3 generations have each show significant progress. Conscience or subconscious there is a concern of apple falling behind imo.

I'm a big believer in using the right tool for the job. In some situations, a PC is a better option, in others, the Mac. I agree, don't get so hung up on a single metric, that you miss the big picture. Macs have a lot of advantages, and if those advantages line up with your priorities and needs then don't worry about if a Lenovo is 5 points faster in geekbench or something like that.

I've personally been on a journey to enjoy contentment. Enjoy what I have and not worry about what I don't have. I far from achieving that goal, but I think people need to think about that ideal as well. Just enjoy what you have.
In my experience an 12th gen i9 intel notebook [workstation class] felt very fast to use but at the same time the M1 experience is far better in terms of noise, heat and battery life [plus it runs full speed on battery].

The benchmarks are sort of irrelevant if the experience feels right.

Also I agree with the above in terms of right tool for the job.
I use a PC for visualisation work, but my macs for all image / graphic / video work. Both are great, and the PC could do what my mac does, but in a clumsy and inelegant way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.