Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iFixit has started one of its traditional teardowns on the 12.9-inch M1 iPad Pro, which began arriving to customers on its May 21 launch date. iFixit's teardown delves into the new "XDR" mini-LED display, which is one of the iPad's major new features.

The M1 iPad Pro features new 5G antennas at the sides to enable 5G connectivity, and there's a 10566 mAh (40.33Wh) battery inside.

As for the display, it's slightly thicker than the Liquid Retina display from the prior-generation iPad Pro (0.5mm), and "quite a bit heavier." Unlike a traditional LED display, the mini-LED display in the iPad Pro features a giant grid of tiny LEDs that introduce the contrast and quality improvements seen in the 2021 iPad Pro.

There are 2,596 local dimming zones in the M1 iPad Pro, and each one is a square with four tiny LEDs inside. The non-XDR iPad display, meanwhile, uses a single strip of LEDs along one side, so this inside look at the display gives a great explainer on what's different between the 2020 iPad Pro and the 2021 12.9-inch version.

iFixit shared a YouTube video opening up the iPad Pro, and the full teardown with photos, writeup, and repairability score isn't yet available, but it should be coming in the future.

Article Link: iFixit Digs Into M1 iPad Pro in New XDR Display Teardown

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Any word on Wi-Fi 6E support ?

If I was AAPL, I'd include it & NOT specify it, so that it could be "Field Tested" by AAPL (& select others) BEFORE officially releasing products with it !

50/50 chance is includes Wi-Fi 6E support !

• Haha
Reactions: E.Lizardo

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
yep, its an M1 and not an Intel chip..we all saw already that this M1 is working even better in thermals than the former A12Z
I know it isn't an Intel chip. No need to state the obvious. I wasn't part of whatever "we" group you are talking about. If you wish to be rude, try someone else.

Edited to add: I was looking for a friendly explanation not a condescending reply.

Last edited:

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
So I went and checked out an M1 iPad display in person. In dark mode, at its highest brightness, I couldn’t see any of the clouding people posted online. It looked identical to my iPhone 12 Pro display in dark mode on its highest brightness.

I hate how people intentionally lie, and photoshop images to make them look nothing like reality. It sickens me honestly.

It makes me sad, because I actually believed it until I saw it in person. This display is perfect.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
So I went and checked out an M1 iPad display in person. I’m dark mode at its highest brightness I couldn’t see any of the clouding people posted online. It looked identical to my iPhone 12 Pro display in dark mode on its highest brightness.

I hate how people intentionally lie, and photoshop images to make them look nothing like reality. It sickens me honestly.

It makes me sad, because I actually believed it until I saw it in person. This display is perfect.
Just because you didn't see it in person, that doesn't mean everyone else was lying or purposefully exaggerating, although some may have done so.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
2017 12.9 is 677 grams (1.49lbs)
2021 12.9 is 682 grams (1.50lbs)
2020 12.9 is 643 grams (1.41lbs)

Dang the 2021 is marginally heavier than the 2017, although pretty much the same.

I would say you're splitting hairs there comparing weight of 2020 vs 2021, but... the 2017 was always heavy feeling so it seems it has returned

Reactions: AmazeSE

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
So I went and checked out an M1 iPad display in person. In dark mode, at its highest brightness, I couldn’t see any of the clouding people posted online. It looked identical to my iPhone 12 Pro display in dark mode on its highest brightness.

people dont lie ,they just exaggerate, let me explain
Try that experiment again, dark room, white text on black background, brightness at full, and take a picture with your iphone...and see the result

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
2017 12.9 is 677 grams (1.49lbs)
2021 12.9 is 682 grams (1.50lbs)
2020 12.9 is 643 grams (1.41lbs)

Dang the 2021 is marginally heavier than the 2017, although pretty much the same.

I would say you're splitting hairs there comparing weight of 2020 vs 2021, but... the 2017 was always heavy feeling so it seems it has returned
That’s a strange order you’ve put those in!

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

If I was AAPL, I'd include it & NOT specify it, so that it could be "Field Tested" by AAPL (& select others) BEFORE officially releasing products with it !

I remember in the early Intel Mac days and 802.11n first came to market. Apple didn't specify it as 'n', which led to them having to charge for an 'n' software enabler. It wasn't just an Apple being greedy thing; it had to do with some law about finances or something. https://www.infoworld.com/article/2643967/the-whole-truth-about-apple-s-802-11n-enabler.html

Reactions: Applebot1

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016

You will never notice this in a retail environment. Also, not sure where the “100% brightness” comes into play, it actually makes any blooming less noticeable. If you use it in a darkish room, and use the iPad at 40% brightness or less, that’s when you can tell. Will you care? Maybe not. This idea that people “are actively looking to create an issue” is just a subtle way of recognizing it’s a potential drawback for some people, but also blaming those people.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010

You will not see imperfection under store display lighting. I checked out M1 iPad twice at Apple store, I actually couldn't tell how bright it gets, to me it looks identical to previous iPad. I watched a few HDR video same thing it doesn't look brighter. Is Apple lying it's supposed to be 1600 nits? Of course not. Lighting overhead is so bright you can't judge the screen.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.

If the hardware is there, they have to document it in their FCC filing, even if it is not in use.
I have a guitar pedalboard that has WiFi and Bluetooth chips installed, but disabled.
They were part of the base SOC design for the board they used. The FCC filing shows them as being present, but were not tested as they were to be disabled.

Reactions: aylk and KeithBN

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
people don't lie, they just exaggerate, let me explain

Try that experiment again, dark room, white text on black background, brightness at full, and take a picture with your iPhone... and see the result

There might be a problem with that...

The pictures of the blooming might actually appear worse than in real life... since the iPhone attempts to adjust the image with all of its HDR technology.

I'm not doubting that there is some blooming. But when we see a photo of it online... it might be, like you say, exaggerated.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ

The pictures of the blooming might actually appear worse than in real life... since the iPhone attempts to adjust the image with all of its HDR technology.

I'm not doubting that there is some blooming. But when we see a photo of it online... it might be, like you say, exaggerated.
its not even noticeable in person

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011

I believe that is what the op was referring to, that the only way you would notice the blooming was by taking a photo with an iPhone.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
Just because you didn't see it in person, that doesn't mean everyone else was lying or purposefully exaggerating, although some may have done so.
Yes just the paid influencers and publicity seekers. Certainly there are limits to a technology that can’t be engineered out, but to portray it as a major shortcoming as some tried is highly deceitful. Given the misleading ads by MS, and Intel and epic crap, you wonder who the sponsors might be?

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
I mean Broadcom WiFi 6E chip is barely out.... I would be surprised if it is even included in iPhone 13. ( Too late in the cycle )

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008

The only way to illustrate the blooming of an mini-LED LCD display using a standard LED LCD is to exaggerate the effect.

That doesn't mean that the effect is invisible in real life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.