Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this morning surprised the world with an unexpected "Self Service Repair" program, which is designed to allow customers access to genuine Apple parts, tools, and manuals for making their own device repairs.

Giving customers this kind of unprecedented access to repair guidelines and hardware is a major win for Right to Repair advocates, and we're starting to hear from repair outlets pleased with Apple's decision.

Well-known device repair and teardown site iFixit says that its team is "excited" about the news, and hopeful that Apple will be providing customers with the same information that it gives to Apple Authorized Service Providers.

iFixit points out that Apple's decision invalidates many of the arguments that it has been making against the Right to Repair movement for years because Apple is acknowledging that repairs can be done without harm to consumers or their devices. Apple has previously argued that customers could injure themselves by accidentally puncturing a battery during a device repair, which is apparently no longer a concern. "We're thrilled to see Apple admit what we've always known: Everyone's enough of a genius to fix an iPhone," reads iFixit's coverage of Apple's announcement.

Kyle Wiens, iFixit founder and CEO, said on Twitter that Apple's decision marks a "total shift in perspective" and that there's hope that this is a step toward making devices last longer.

While this is a major step forward, iFixit points out that there are a number of unknowns and caveats. It's unlikely that Apple is going to allow customers to use parts that are sourced from somewhere other than the online store Apple is building, and the ready availability of official parts could see Apple further lock down iPhone components through serialization, restricting the use of third-party parts or parts salvaged from other iPhones.

Other repair advocates agree that Apple's move is a win for Right to Repair, but there's more to be done. iFixit says it will keep fighting for laws that will "keep Apple and other manufacturers honest," while the Right to Repair Coalition, which represents several repair shops and trade groups, said this is "far off" from the requirements of Right to Repair, but shows legislators are on the right track if Apple has been spooked into allowing for customer repairs.

Nathan Proctor, who heads up the Right to Repair campaign with the United States Public Interest Research Group, called Apple's move a "huge milestone" for Right to Repair, while repair advocate Kevin O'Reilly called it a "huge win," but said concrete reforms are still needed.

Apple's Self Service Repair program will launch in early 2022 in the United States, and it will start with Apple making repair components available to iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 owners. Apple plans to expand to additional countries throughout 2022, and will also work to support more repairs and more devices over time.

Article Link: iFixit Lauds Apple's New Self Service Repair Program, Calls It a 'Remarkable Concession'

Last edited:

Blackstick

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2014
OH
Speaking as a former Mac Genius, this is awesome news, but people without electronic repair experience should be careful what they wish for. Fixing some of these mobile devices is very tricky, much more so than a Mac where the space to work is comparably "luxurious."

If you're not comfortable with nylon probe tools (spudger or what Apple calls a "black stick"), ZIF connectors, pentalobe screws and really small, fragile ribbon cables... have someone else fix your expensive Apple product for the same money. Much less headache.

It’s progress. Maybe this brilliant student has inspired Apple. He racked up almost 90K by selling the Worlds first USB-C iPhone.

Takes one person to make that change!

Can’t wait to find out how much the FACE-ID module would cost.

Btw, what happens to the warranty of the iPhone???

Last edited:

randfee2

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Germany
Apple knows what’s coming, laws will enforce this and more, so they didn’t want to get caught with their pants down but instead introduce something before the laws arrive. That will make it look like they’ve been on the right track all along.

Good, but kind of hypocritical, In the end many will forget that it was due to the Louis Rossmann’s of the world that things changed, many forum members will claim here and now that Apple is brilliant and only applaud Apple and think their wisdom got us this, the same people that argued that some will never sell parts because it’s economically stupid. I don’t care about these type of disciples.

Most importantly: if it happens it will be a good thing. Pricing will be super interesting and potentially a rip-off, we’ll see!

Oh and by the way, this doesn’t mean that their products become more repair friendly, they might just claim people lack the skill if they complain about unnecessary degree of fiddling. But maybe it’ll create more pressure for actually good repassier friendly design too ?

It’s a start and I like the direction this is going. I hope sustainability and longevity of products might also lead to upgradable designs again, I have hope and i wish Apple had more courage in this regard. I’m confident the company’s reputation would go through the roof if they’d ACTUALLY acted boldly on sustainability, I’m willing to bet they’d make even more money than they do now if they didn’t glue but screw and made SSDs upgradable etc.

Last edited:

FrozenShivers

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011
It’s progress. Maybe this brilliant student has inspired Apple. He racked up almost 90K by selling the Worlds first USB-C iPhone.

Whilst impressive he can hardly be solely credited pushing it considering some of the huge efforts others have been making for years like Louis Rossman.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Apple is just trying to get ahead, that is what they don't want to get ahead of, having to give in to RTR. The solution? Provide consumers with parts. Those parts will be tied to the device, you ask for a screen or a battery it will probably only work in a specific iPhone (yours), not any iPhone.

Pricing is where it's going to be at, Apple won't give in much on profits. If a battery replacement at the genius bar costs $69 I can imagine that buying the battery from this new store will be something like $59. Slightly cheaper but probably still less hassle and safer to get Apple to do it for all you will save.

Reactions: Maximara and H2SO4

Johns12

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
This is a good start. Pricing will be interesting. For all those who said no to users fixing their own phones. You don't have to. Take it to an authorized repair shop. IMHO, this option should have been allowed all along.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I can understand Apple not wanting people to freely use parts from other iPhones to discourage theft, but one solution to this could be to serialize the parts and allow their use if the source iPhone is not activation locked.

This would solve the stolen parts problem and at the same time allow damaged phones to be recycled for their remaining parts.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
I love this, I've done several hundred iPhone repairs and now I can fix my wife's screens at home. Beats driving 45mins to an appt multiple days out.

Reactions: Nicole1980

subi257

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2018
New Jersey

Can’t wait to find out how much the FACE-ID module would cost.

Btw, what happens to the warranty of the iPhone???
I would hazard a guess to say...all gone! Especially if you though "I can do this" and couldn't...then make it worse or damaged something else.

Adithya007

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
Will it cost the same or nearly the same as a Genius Bar repair?
Um most probably, but there will be benefits too.

Like say if the back glass is broken or FaceID module stops working now, the device repair comes under "Other Repairs" section for which they charge a standard 550$ these days. If they sell the same part even with their high margins at say 200$, it still comes out to be cheaper than the present 550$ rate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.