Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I'm waiting for the time when SSDs will be cheap enough, and they'll be the size of a CF card and you'll just pop it into a slot next to the RAM. Will that ever happen?

Or you could just throw a 64 GB SDXC card into the SD slot that's already in the iMac..... (Of course, the SD slot in all Macs are only 480 Mbps USB, but hopefully they'll move to a faster interface in the next iteration.)

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver

While I'm in complete agreement that the iMac could and should be easier to get inside, I don't think we're going to get any sympathy in Cupertino. The Jobs vision was always that computers should be "black boxes". End users don't need to know anything about what's inside the box, only that it performs the tasks they want it to. The original Macintosh was like that. A few necessary ports, but otherwise a sealed box only accessible to trained repair technicians. The iPad is the modern equivalent, even more sealed than the original iMac and sporting a minimum number of connections to the outside world. Even the software is locked down to a pre-approved list to ensure the device performs its intended tasks and nothing more.

I don't see Apple deviating from the Jobs vision. It has brought them an amazing amount of success and almost unimaginable wealth.

I have a 2011 iMac after decades of buying only desktops/towers. It was a good deal given that I wanted a newer, bigger display anyway. I've learned to cope with the reflections and I've had at least one external hard drive since I bought my very first Mac so being stuck with only one internal drive was no big deal. It's annoying that getting reliable, high speed external storage means spending big bucks for Thunderbolt or FireWire 800 when the rest of the world has USB 3 at $100-150 less. It's also frustrating that boot camp requires an internal HD with only one Mac partition, but a virtual machine is fine for everything except games.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I agree, why can't Apple build products that are more upgrade friendly? HP has been doing it for years. I would gladly trade a little thickness for ease of maintenance.

----------

Not a shipping product. Wait until this ships, and I'd love to see a price list.
The price, even with the cool design, will probably be quite competitive. HP has shown over and over that they can do it on price. Now if you could only get it with OS X installed.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Cool concept, ugly computer!

Well yes, it's a plasticky computer as usual from HP. But at least iMac could be designed like that while keeping the great design and aluminum. Easy to maintain, upgrade, disassembly like a DESKTOP computer should. And that HP use 2560x1440 27" display too, so no reason for .. "Uugh iMac use a professional grade display resolution, HP not" anymore.

But no Steve wouldn't want customers "mess up" with the inside. It's a piece of art, not a computer .. right? :rolleyes:

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
I agree, why can't Apple build products that are more upgrade friendly? HP has been doing it for years. I would gladly trade a little thickness for ease of maintenance.
Actually, Apple used to have easily upgradeable products. For example, it made the first desktop (Mac II) that could have a motherboard upgrade by simply putting a card in an expansion slot (the expansion slots were parallel to the motherboard). Mac desktop cases used to be among the easiest to open (this is still true about the troubled Mac Pro, but its CPUs are not user upgradeable, unlike to competition). But under the influence of Steve and Jony, the focus had been increasingly on "it just works", with minimal user involvement in terms of configuration or upgrades. You don't need to know how it works, or what its specs are, you just need to know that it works. In other words, Apple has more and more been catering to consumers rather than hobbyists or enthusiasts. We have also seen this trend in Apple's software. This has caused great consternation to many members on these boards.
The price, even with the cool design, will probably be quite competitive. HP has shown over and over that they can do it on price. Now if you could only get it with OS X installed.
Too bad they can't do it on quality. According to Consumer Reports, HP desktops are almost twice as likely to require repair as Apple desktops.

Last edited:

ModerateFKR

macrumors member
May 10, 2011

This from the company that announced they were ceasing PC production a few month back, then changed their minds. What possible faith could anyone have in HP after that?

Furthermore, this is an ugly package. The concept is fine, in theory, but it looks as if it's been designed by a committee of myopic suits. It's horrible.

There a million aesthetic crimes to pick on, but the massive design crime that screams out is the thing they appear to believe makes it desirable: that ridiculous folding solution. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the idea of an all in one desktop computer to save desk space? And that this is achieved by having a smaller FOOTPRINT?

So HP build an all in one desktop computer that folds into the same footprint as the screen?? This is utterly illogical. The footprint of the old CRT screens weren't as big as a 24" screen - lying on its back, never mind a 27" screen!

But that's not the only issue. If the idea is to lay it down after use - screen facing upwards, it's going to collect dust and get used as a place to rest things - such as drinks etc...

They haven't created a solution here, they've created a million problems. Are you seriously posting this here as a viable alternative to an iMac - based solely on a video showing how it has been made? Did you really not consider all the other issues?

Headrush69

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2007
anyone know what that special cable they use for the sata power is called or where to get one?
This is the combo cable I used for my mid 2011 iMac: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056OB8GK/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

The kit includes the required SATA cables as well as the appropriate mounting hardware to install the second drive.
What all are they including for $69? The link to there instructions shows no mounting kit, they just say use double sided tape.

So basically $69 for a $10 cable?

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Why not add two doors on the bottom of the iMac and use sliders to exchange disks.
There is one door right now to exchange or upgrade RAM memory, so I think it would be easy to also do that for HDD or SSD.

HT3918_4-iMac_Late_2009-Replace_memory_access_door-001-en.png

But I guess this won't happen, it's Apple.;)

Edit : The speakers are there now but could easily moved to the side.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Well yes, it's a plasticky computer as usual from HP. But at least iMac could be designed like that while keeping the great design and aluminum. Easy to maintain, upgrade, disassembly like a DESKTOP computer should. And that HP use 2560x1440 27" display too, so no reason for .. "Uugh iMac use a professional grade display resolution, HP not" anymore.

But no Steve wouldn't want customers "mess up" with the inside. It's a piece of art, not a computer .. right? :rolleyes:

It is a piece of art if you ask me. Never seen a more beautiful computer. Does that mean that expandability and user upgrades isn't nice to have available? No. What it does mean that it seams you often sacrifice aesthetics and in-all-in one for expandability.

But by all means, if Apple can keep the iMac sexy or make it more, while offering greater expandability, then I'm all for it.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
So basically $69 for a $10 cable?
Their website says you get-
Each kit comes with:

SATA power cable
SATA data cable
Custom-cut 3M VHB double-sided mounting tape
Two Heavy-duty Suction Cups
26 Piece Bit Driver Kit
Spudger

Certainly doesn't seem like $70 worth.

cybergrisu

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
and on the Software side?

Ok, when the Installation of the additional SSD is done, how do I handle the 2 drives in Mac OS?

- Is it possible to easily mount my /Users folder with all the Data to the HDD, while having the operating system on the SDD? Or how do I manage the split (to have all the iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, etc. stuff on the HDD)?

- Do I have to move my bootcamp partition also to the sdd, or will the setup: Bootcamp and Data on HDD, OS X on SDD work?

- What about the partition anlingement for the SDD? You find so many different things if Mac OS does this right or does it not.

Or how is this on an BTO Mac with an HDD/SDD setup?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Their website says you get-
Each kit comes with:

SATA power cable $3
SATA data cable $4
Custom-cut 3M VHB double-sided mounting tape $0,10
Two Heavy-duty Suction Cups $5
26 Piece Bit Driver Kit $19
Spudger $3

Certainly doesn't seem like $70 worth.

Wild Guess
Total $34,10

----------

Ok, when the Installation of the additional SSD is done, how do I handle the 2 drives in Mac OS?

- Is it possible to easily mount my /Users folder with all the Data to the HDD, while having the operating system on the SDD? Or how do I manage the split (to have all the iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, etc. stuff on the HDD)?

- Do I have to move my bootcamp partition also to the sdd, or will the setup: Bootcamp and Data on HDD, OS X on SDD work?

- What about the partition anlingement for the SDD? You find so many different things if Mac OS does this right or does it not.

Or how is this on an BTO Mac with an HDD/SDD setup?

Install OS X on SSD, also install Bootcamp there since you want both OS to be fast.
You can easily move your home folder to the HDD, you could for instance make a symlink on the HDD which will point to the right place on your SSD,but you need to log in as a different user, then move(Copy) your home folder to HDD, delete the original and then make a symlink in that place.

Edit 1 : Although this will work there might be side effects, like backup or encrypting the Home folder.

Edit 2 : If only your Movies, Pictures and Music folders are the big ones then it would be better to make Symlinks only for those folders and not your whole Home folder.

Last edited:

Mac2012

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2011
While I'm in complete agreement that the iMac could and should be easier to get inside, I don't think we're going to get any sympathy in Cupertino. The Jobs vision was always that computers should be "black boxes". End users don't need to know anything about what's inside the box, only that it performs the tasks they want it to. The original Macintosh was like that. A few necessary ports, but otherwise a sealed box only accessible to trained repair technicians. The iPad is the modern equivalent, even more sealed than the original iMac and sporting a minimum number of connections to the outside world. Even the software is locked down to a pre-approved list to ensure the device performs its intended tasks and nothing more.

I don't see Apple deviating from the Jobs vision. It has brought them an amazing amount of success and almost unimaginable wealth.

I have a 2011 iMac after decades of buying only desktops/towers. It was a good deal given that I wanted a newer, bigger display anyway. I've learned to cope with the reflections and I've had at least one external hard drive since I bought my very first Mac so being stuck with only one internal drive was no big deal. It's annoying that getting reliable, high speed external storage means spending big bucks for Thunderbolt or FireWire 800 when the rest of the world has USB 3 at $100-150 less. It's also frustrating that boot camp requires an internal HD with only one Mac partition, but a virtual machine is fine for everything except games.
Hmmm... well, I think an iMac ISN'T for YOU then, right? Most people who just want a nice design, and want it to WORK would buy it... Just go by a PC then. I could do this upgrade easily, but even with the parts accessible, some have broken parts putting them in, so whatever... no matter what, servicing the guts of a computer isn't for EVERYONE!!! Now, anyone have any positive remarks about this upgrade?

----------

I might actually CONSIDER buying an iMac if it were closer to something like this. It's a desktop, yet you can hardly get inside the machine for upgrades. And they use MOBILE graphics cards. So embarrassing.
Now you can buy this... okay... about the topic?????:rolleyes:
Why does MR's have all these AH's on it? The topic is about putting a 2nd drive in, nothing more, nothing less... why turn it into a battle?

----------

Why not add two doors on the bottom of the iMac and use sliders to exchange disks.
There is one door right now to exchange or upgrade RAM memory, so I think it would be easy to also do that for HDD or SSD.

But I guess this won't happen, it's Apple.;)

Edit : The speakers are there now but could easily moved to the side.
I say... PLEASE go design one! I can't wait to see your design expertise!

J400uk

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
Does this finally mean it will be easy to install an SSD in a new iMac without going through the nonsense with the fan cable etc?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Or you could just throw a 64 GB SDXC card into the SD slot that's already in the iMac..... (Of course, the SD slot in all Macs are only 480 Mbps USB, but hopefully they'll move to a faster interface in the next iteration.)

Yeah that's pretty cool, our external USB hard drives aren't faster than that either! Maybe in the future we could just have thunderbolt speeds for the memory card slot, with faster memory cards of course…

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Do you think anyone who does this mod would need a "Genius"?

Yes, they would. Especially when their iMac needs a new several hundred dollar logic board and their machine is under warranty.

Col Panic

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2007
Data Doubler

The first thing I did when I received my 27" 2011 iMac was to pull the optical drive out, install the Data Doubler from OWC, installed my SSD in its place and threw the optical drive into an external case. I had a local Apple approved repair shop do the work so as not to void any of my warranty in doing the upgrade. All in all it cost me $110, the best money I ever spent.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I say... PLEASE go design one! I can't wait to see your design expertise!

Did I say anything about the design, no I did not, it's beautiful as it is, this is a forum and I and other's have "complained" about how difficult it is to just upgrade a HDD instead of paying Apple's Expensive alternative options.
Just check out how much they charge for bigger HDD or more RAM or other options.
Not only that but even exchanging the main HDD is impossible because of some Apple sensor built into the disk.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
69.99 for a bunch of cables, screws, and trays?! I think this add-on is a bit overpriced...

----------

Thanks for posting this! I had seen that in the past and had a client who would love one - but I forgot who made it, etc. Now I know.

The Backpack is available at Best Buy or B&H Photo. It works "ok" but takes a little work getting it to sit properly.

ForzaJuve

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
Pop the hood.

Nice one, I wonder how often you have to pop the hood of this beauty. I am guessing these new HP computers require an oil change every 3 months and new spark plugs every 2 years. Then you need to also change the air filter and rotate the 4 RAMs so that they wear evenly. Do you know how often you have to turn the disks rotors?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.