Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iFixit has already disassembled the new iMacs that were released yesterday. The teardown didn't reveal too many changes from the previous version, though there are a few new features worth mentioning.

Both the 21.5-inch and 27-inch models include the new 802.11ac wireless standard, while the 27-inch model includes the new PCIe-based flash storage that was originally introduced in the MacBook Air back in June.

imacteardown.jpg
The 21.5-inch model has a few differences from its larger sibling, according to iFixit. It now includes a new empty PCIe SSD slot so users can upgrade the base model iMac to the Fusion Drive combination HDD/SDD drive that Apple introduced last year. In last year's 21.5-inch model, Apple did not include an empty PCIe slot on the logic board.

More disappointing, for users who like to upgrade their machines, is the fact that the CPU is soldered directly to the logic board, making an upgrade nearly impossible. iFixit gave the 21.5-inch model a 2 out of 10 for repairability, largely because of the soldered processor.

The 27-inch model received a 5 out of 10. The largest issue with upgrading the iMac is getting the glass and LCD panel out of the machine, making repairs impossible for all but the most determined do-it-yourselfers.

Article Link: iFixit Tears Down New iMacs, Finds Soldered CPU on 21.5" Model

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I may want to consider buying a new iMac soon. Not because I like these models but because the old ones with the optical drive might be leaving the refurb store soon as more of these nonsensically thin models are released. I don't care if I use the optical drive often, I want it there because its a desktop and I don't care if it is thin or light

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I don't remember it ever being feasible to swap or change CPUs?

yeah the soldered cpu really makes no difference to anybody imo. Not sure who would buy an iMac, open it up, get dust between the glass and the screen to change out the cpu.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
What happened to the Easy to Fix Macs?

It used to be easy to fix, sometimes very easy to fix, even easier then PC's of time.

The iMac's have never been "easy to fix". Even the original ones were difficult to access the RAM slots on (which they should never be). Have they gotten less "repairable"? Sure. But they weren't all that repairable to begin with.

You're probably thinking of the older PowerMac G3/4/5, and the Mac Pro. Those are easy, even the not-yet released Mac Pro looks fairly easy to get access to (but really nothing to add to it).

The notebooks have always been difficult to service as well. Either they had a million screws (I'm looking at you 12" PB), or are difficult to gain entry.

Overall, though, Apple has made it easier to service the main parts that need replacing/upgrading--RAM and HD/SSD. Although, I'm sure some will disagree with me.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
It now includes a new empty PCIe SSD slot so users can upgrade the base model iMac to the Fusion Drive combination HDD/SDD drive

Awesome! So the DIY users doesnt have to buy the 27" to add the HD later

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I may want to consider buying a new iMac soon. Not because I like these models but because the old ones with the optical drive might be leaving the refurb store soon as more of these nonsensically thin models are released. I don't care if I use the optical drive often, I want it there because its a desktop and I don't care if it is thin or light

I had a 2011 27" iMac with optical drive that was unfortunately stolen on a break in. I was a little bummed about a replacement machine that I might get having no drive and needing a usb superdrive as I use remote disk on my Air. But even though I had an SSD and HDD combo, the fusion, new PCI speed increase, new ac wifi, greater VRAM, etc. make this a no brainer. I don't use an optical drive that often anyway.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
its a desktop and I don't care if it is thin or light

Agreed. My early 2008 iMac is thick as a brick compared to the new models, but I don't care. As for weight, the only time I move it is when I'm dusting my desk, and it's no big deal to lift.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
So the new iMacs with nVidia graphics do not have any chipset graphics?
I know that sounds kind of silly to even want chipset graphics. But I have had iMacs with bad video before. The one at my old job only worked if you kept it out of the sun, and used a graphics app to manage which card you were on and keep an eye on the temps.
Frickin white iMacs. :rolleyes:

Still, it's always nice to see Macs "catch up" on the video card tech.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Considering their business model, the ratings out of 10 are really just a rating of how much money they can expect to make, right?
A low rating means they can't sell you the parts to fix yourself.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Apple figures the quality is good enough to last a few years and then you get the new one you wanted anyway.

This is a paltry amount when you factor in what most people also get: iPhones, iPads, phone plans, iPad data plans, Apple TV movie rentals, the old DSL line most of us need, Apple Care, iTunes, cables and mice and printers and all consumables (carefully engineered to be as onerous as possible)...it goes on and on.

You might thank Apple for not encouraging you to spend even more souping up a device that is probably vastly more capable than what we need anyway.

There is a reason Apple has trillions and zillions of dollars. Wait until the Apple TV comes and controlling people spend how much each month to watch three shows...

Whoops, forgot Apps...many free now, but not forever. And of course most people do and always will want a cable or satellite menu. The cable cutters are few, most people want to watch a lot of different shows and sports of course.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Does this mean no user upgradable RAM, too?

No. Well you technically can, but it's not meant to be user replaceable:

Most replaceable components (like the RAM) are buried behind the logic board, meaning you'll have to take apart most of the iMac just to gain access to them.

The 27" has a door in the back for easy ram access.

Shaggymax

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2013
Lanc, Penn USA

Long live the desktop! I recently scooped up a Mac Pro tower to keep me going another 6 years...

fixmymac

macrumors regular
I am always cautious of the iFixit 'Repairability' scores.

I think it is very clear that Apple don't really give much consideration to how accessible the insides are. I am not sure they should.

The whole point of the Apple experience is that the particular device you are using is meant to disappear in front of you. The hardware/software is meant to 'just work' in such a way that you become less conscious of the device itself.

Apple devices have become thinner due to advances in technology and, more importantly, customer's desire to get bigger from smaller.

When my customers talk about not being able to get inside their Macs, or Windows users give this as a reason not to buy them, I always ask them if the first thing they do with a new car is open the bonnet and tinker with what is underneath. You buy a car to reliably and comfortably get you from A to B. It is a tool created to do just that!

With the correct tools the latest iMacs are not difficult to open up. It is easy to open up older iMacs (with removable front glass) and put them back together with no trapped dust. The correct tools and procedure are all that is required.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
Soldered CPUs are a non-issue, as I guess that only 0.001% of iMac owners even think about swapping their CPU.

Non-swappable RAM and harddisks, cases that you can't open any more without working through glue, desktops without a second drive bay, without an optical drive, with their headphone jacks on the backside just to be thin on the other hand are plain stupid.

Not to speak of magnetic disks in expensive computers.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Most people only really care about upgrading the hard drive and ram. If your the kind of person that upgrades cpus, your not in the normal demographic for an iMac.

ifixit do beautiful tear downs but they really have a bug up their ass about some stuff lately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.