Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
Does this mean no user upgradable RAM, too?

21.5":
I didn't see it explicitly stated that there was an access panel, but the pictures do show 2 removable SODIMMs on the logic board. I don't remember if the last gen had soldered memory, or removable SODIMMs.

27":
Same as last gen. 4 SODIMM slots, PC3-16000, accessed by a panel on the back.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
The whole point of the Apple experience is that the particular device you are using is meant to disappear in front of you. The hardware/software is meant to 'just work' in such a way that you become less conscious of the device itself.

The problem is that today's iMac won't "just work" with the RAM consuming software of 2016, while it would perfectly work if you could swap the RAM by then.

BrockC

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2012
Il
I'm really tempted to get a 27" with the upgraded 780 graphics card. I've been wanting a Mac for a while on which I can do some gaming. . However, I would still like to wait and see the price point for the Pro

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
Soldered CPU would imply smaller profile without CPU socket and heatsink socket and hence smaller + more optimized heat-sink fan.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I wonder what Apple resellers that also do repairs think of this. For example, are these designs more profitable because they can bill more hours per device? Or do they take a revenue hit because the high repair costs make people more likely to buy a new machine?

Jul 8, 2013
yeah the soldered cpu really makes no difference to anybody imo. Not sure who would buy an iMac, open it up, get dust between the glass and the screen to change out the cpu.

You can't get dust in between the glass and screen as they are one unit now, other than that I see your point. A soldered CPU makes no difference to this machine...

It's good the Ram , HDD and SDD are upgradeable, even if it's not easy!

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I may want to consider buying a new iMac soon. Not because I like these models but because the old ones with the optical drive might be leaving the refurb store soon as more of these nonsensically thin models are released. I don't care if I use the optical drive often, I want it there because its a desktop and I don't care if it is thin or light

Beware, the "fat" models run hot as hell. Less than 2 years in, the logic board and the graphics card went out on my 2011 27 in top of the line. Cost? $1,000 (no Apple Care). Before that, I had issues with 2 of them (I replaced yearly).

I'll never buy an iMac again; I think the design is flawed.

But your mileage may vary, as always.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Not liking this route Apple is going down...
Soldering the CPU is just unnecessary and makes it clear that Apple doesn't want people tinkering in their machines.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I don't think they should ding the 21" due to the CPU not being replacable.

But the 2/10 score is justafiable, IMO, considering even upgrading the RAM means getting past adhesives (and then replacing the double-sided tape).

----------

...and makes it clear that Apple doesn't want people tinkering in their machines.

Ya think?!?

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
Beware, the "fat" models run hot as hell. Less than 2 years in, the logic board and the graphics card went out on my 2011 27 in top of the line. Cost? $1,000 (no Apple Care). Before that, I had issues with 2 of them (I replaced yearly).

I'll never buy an iMac again; I think the design is flawed.

But your mileage may vary, as always.

So the thin models run cooler? Interesting. I would have thought they'd run hotter because there's less space around the components. Maybe the fans compensate for that.

My early 2008 iMac had a logic board fail. Fortunately it was in the final six months of AppleCare. No problems since then.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
The 27" has a door in the back for easy ram access.

If they put in a door for the SSD, too, I'd be sorely tempted. Currently, the 1TB SSD costs an arm and a leg, but I'm sure that in a year or so you'll be able to get a third party alternative for a foot and a couple of fingers.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
The iMac's have never been "easy to fix". Even the original ones were difficult to access the RAM slots on (which they should never be). Have they gotten less "repairable"? Sure. But they weren't all that repairable to begin with.

You're probably thinking of the older PowerMac G3/4/5, and the Mac Pro. Those are easy, even the not-yet released Mac Pro looks fairly easy to get access to (but really nothing to add to it).

The notebooks have always been difficult to service as well. Either they had a million screws (I'm looking at you 12" PB), or are difficult to gain entry.

Overall, though, Apple has made it easier to service the main parts that need replacing/upgrading--RAM and HD/SSD. Although, I'm sure some will disagree with me.

Well, the Bondi iMac was a bit tough, the update was better, agree.
G4, never worked on that.
G5 was quite easy IMHO.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
Soldering the CPU is just unnecessary and makes it clear that Apple doesn't want people tinkering in their machines.

My guess is that the main reason is that SMT lowers manufacturing costs. Just stick all of the components on the board and run it through the oven.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
So the thin models run cooler? Interesting. I would have thought they'd run hotter because there's less space around the components. Maybe the fans compensate for that.

My early 2008 iMac had a logic board fail. Fortunately it was in the final six months of AppleCare. No problems since then.

That's been my experience too. Not sure if it's the new chips, the fact the optical drive isn't taking the space, or they designed the internal better, but the newer thin iMac seems to run much cooler than the older iMacs.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA

Proper cooling such as big heatsinks, stout heatpipes, and active cooling (rather than passive, fanless cooling) keeps systems cool. Does a small heatsink cool a system better than a large one? Post that on any computer form and brace yourself for the results... hint: larger=better.

These new iMacs reek of "planned obsolescence" and in a time when people have less to spend, never mind frequent upgrades. And it's wasteful on the environment as well.

Oh, Al Gore has been on Apple's board since 2003 and Apple was often behind the times on green initiatives compared to Dell and even HP and I don't care for HP - he's either incapable of selling his tear jerking game to anyone else there or he's a fraud. Snopes and other outlets will reveal the truth, and for the record I am not a conservative (neo- or otherwise.)

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
When has anyone ever been able to upgrade a processor in any Mac? Pretty sure even towers were pretty tough to find the parts for, anyway.

An Intel CPU is an Intel CPU.

For the speed difference, it's a waste of money and time.

Blocking off end user access to the (mechanical!) HDD and RAM reeks of desperation and greed on Apple's part, since anyone in the technical field knows how much these off-the-shelf parts cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.