If'nn Apple does announce more new features for 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TuffLuffJimmy, Jun 5, 2009.

1. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

In the unlikely case that Apple announces even more new features for 3.0 at WWDC what would you like to see software-wise that could make it into the iPhone. Or what, in a future release, 4.0 or 5.0 would you like to see in the new software (excluding hardware).

Here's my list:
    The ability to run more than one app at once. Similar to the way the Pre does it, but I bet Apple could come up with something a little sexier. Maybe something like the OS X dock. You'd be able to see your running processes by going to the homescreen and seeing what's in the dock with a blue light.

The ability to change default programs (This is probably something more for OS 5 or 6). So that means I'd be able to pick a different web browser besides Safari, like Opera, or I'd be able to pick a different Mail client, like Thunderbird.

Be able to install third party applications some way besides the app store.

Treat every app like an app! I want to be able to delete Safari, if I have a better browser, or put Stocks and Weather in a folder so they're off the screen unless I want them there.

Updates like OS X updates. It would be great if Apple allowed its applications to be updated like 3rd party apps. That means that they could update the Maps or weather app without the user having to do a full phone update that could take hours (pending on the update). Then the rest of the OS would be updated normally for bigger updates.

Access to the file system and Maybe even a terminal app (I can only see this happening when people start to use their phones as computer replacements).

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yes. Yes. Yes.

3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I would also love to be able to delete any app on the phone. I think the only problem with this is when someone deletes the weather app and then later on, they want it back on their phone. There would have to be a way in iTunes to put the app back on.

I would like to see over-the-air updates for the OS and over-the-air backups. That way, you don't have to connect your iPhone to your computer. My guess is that this would only work over a WiFi network.

4. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Oooo

That would be super nice, even if it only backed things up like documents and contacts. Perhaps Apple will make a free version of MobileMe, specifically for backing up your phone over the air.

5. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I hope we see some more features for 3.0, but I don't see Apple announcing anything new. But then again I hope I'm wrong.

6. randomusername macrumors 6502

I can see them having one easily accessed place to see all notifications, even texts and emails and maybe even respond to them right there (I'm hoping they'll add one extra button to open a pop-up window with all notifications, text threads, and then have buttons Spotlight and settings for the app you were in right under the notifications list). I'm also expecting them to add an attachments button in Mail, and I can see them add Google Search, Google News, Wikipedia, and maybe even Google Maps to Spotlight. I'm sure these will be the pre-4.0 features that'll be available for all iPhones/iPod Touches. Now, third generation iPhone specific features? No idea there.

7. fratboy macrumors regular

what do you mean unlikely that they will have more features..

i am 100% sure there will be more features in 3.0 .. i will bet you anything.. how can you think their WONT be any new features annouced ...seriously

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Relax. I don't think you are getting the point of this thread. The OP is saying in the unlikely event that there are features announced above and beyond those already know about through official apple talk and substantive rumors.

9. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I can see new features in the next iPhone, but I doubt they'll be adding much more to OS 3.0 that runs on the older iPhones.

10. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

can i ask why you don't like using the app store? I think its great and couldn't get any easier than the way it is now. What did you have in mind?

11. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Hah! You really think that Apple would allow any browser other than Safari installed?

And wtf is "if'nn"?

12. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think that the app store will always be around. I don't think Apple will change how to put apps on the iPhone\iPod Touch.

By the way, I like how the app store is, so I wouldn't want this changed anyways.

13. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

I would like disk access, multitasking and a notification system on par with the Pre's.

14. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I would like to be able to install apps I make myself, apps that won't get approved in the app store, and apps made by people who just don't want to go through the app store. It's not that I don't like the app store, it's that I don't like being restricted.

Thanks for bringing a positive attitude to the thread. I never said I thought Apple would allow other browsers to be installed (although they already do, so I don't see your point) I simply stated what I want. Not what I think they'll do, but what I'd like to see. I'd like the ability to set default applications other than the ones that come with the phone. Is that a crime?

If'nn just means if, but it's how I like to say if.

If'nn you'd like to have a debate over the colloquialisms I use then please start a new thread.

PoitNarf, you've just been served :cool:

15. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

oh i gotcha. Makes sense. Hopefully like we have heard before, apple will loosen up on the restrictions with 3.0 as far as the app store goes and utilize parental controls to handle what can be put on the phone

16. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Apple boasted 100+ new features at the 3.0 Keynote, and I myself as a 3.0 beta tester don't believe there are 100 new features (yet), unless it's:

1. Cut
    2. Copy
    3. Paste
    4. Select
    5. Select All
    6. Et cetera
    7. Et cetera
    8. Ad nauseum

17. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

"Yet" is the key word there. If the new iPhone has video recording, magnetometer (compass), Nike+, etc, that will knock out a bunch of features.

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That about sums it up. And how many variations of "what I want in the next iPhone" threads do we really need? :cool:

Two things,
    App store ...will always be. It is restricted for our own good. That thought works 90% of the time. The rest is Apple being stupid. I want them to at least be sure the BS we put on our phones is safe.
    Safari ... will always be. No way will Apple give you an option built right into their release of the OS. How many Macs come with another browser on them today?

19. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Lots. I elect you to start another one right now. :D

20. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I never said I wanted the App Store gone, in fact I would be pretty bummed if they got rid of it. But I would like the option to install apps without the App Store.
    Again, you're putting words in my post. I never said I wanted to get rid of Safari. I said I want OPTIONS. It would be nice if I could install Opera and set Opera as my default browser.

And of course Macs don't come with any browser besides Safari, but you can download and install any browser you want and set that as the default browser. I just want that same option on the iPhone.

21. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

They already do? I don't see Firefox or Opera or Chrome available in the App Store. Which web browser(s) are you talking about?

:rolleyes: You spelled my name wrong.

22. TuffLuffJimmy thread starter macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Oceanus

Full Screen Browser

Bolt

iCab

Magic Browser

Fast Web

and there's a lot more where that came from. It was a few months ago when Apple started to allow third party browser, you can even go back through MR news. It made the front page.

23. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You’re in the middle of a game of Flight Control when the phone rings -- everything gets pushed out of the way and you must decide to "Accept", "Decline", or wait 20 seconds until its done ringing. Rarely, if ever do I actually "decline" a call -- most of the time I simply let it ring. Why? Because the caller knows that it should ring more than five seconds! They know that you declined their call!

I'd like to see an option to change "denying" a phone call to "ignoring" a phone call. Meaning that, should it be ignored, the phone will continue ringing silently in the background until it is sent to voicemail. This enables you to get back to your work and not have to waste the 20 seconds that go by. That also allows time for you to change your mind, should you decide to go back and take the call.

Other than that, multiple notifications on the lock screen that I can click on and go to the respective application: "1 new email from..." to Mail app. "1 new message from..." to SMS app. Etc, etc.

24. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

25. Andruw91 macrumors regular

I think Apple will probably announce some new things in 3.0 but nothing ground breaking. The good stuff was already announce back in March.