IGN Rates MP:C

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by zap2, Aug 27, 2007.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Let me know if the game has the v3 update on it.

Managed to trade my Wii with wii-key v.3 to an older machine with v.2.2 firmware because I could no longer use Freeloader to play my NTSC gamecube games.

My Metroid shipped, but now i'm worried if I put it in, it will auto update and leave me buggered for my gamecube games yet again.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm going to pick up my copy of warhawk and MP3 in the next hour(thank goodness the shop dude gives me my order a day before;) )

I'll let you guys know about the games.

Bless

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Guess I'll have to pick this up after I finish Bioshock.

Money!

6. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

the button to fire is "A". woah! that caught me off guard a little bit.

7. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

8. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Don't be. Jump over and buy it. You will not be disappointed. Plus, you could probably turn around and sell it at close to cost, if need be. :)

9. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

you can change it

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I don't see why, I've been whining about that since I played it in May 2006 :) Really hope they'd change it before launch :(

11. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I'm a bit confused, people are saying that there is online play for Corruption, but the IGN review (video and text) makes no mention of it...:confused:
    I'll probably buy this, but I have to start being a little more cautious of what I buy, my game bill is starting to add up :D
    And it's not even september! :eek:

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

There is no online play for MP3:C only the ability to share screenshots and "accomplishments" with other players. Be sure to check posts where online play is mentioned for white text by highlighting the posts.

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I think I might rent this one, the controls really bugged me in the first coupled but with the Wiimote it's probably a lot better. This one is getting great reviews like the first two, but I never liked the other two all that much, despite every reviewer orgasming over it so this one isn't like to change my mind.. hmmm but what the hell, never hurts to try again.

14. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Weak..i might not buy it now

A FPS with no online play, only on the wii :mad:

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Do you even know what Metroid is?

Tetris without a storyline, wtf!

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

17. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

This thread is about Metroid Prime...

18. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

Guys come on...its a FPS, just like Hunters.

Your in First Person, and you Shoot.....FPS.

19. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

^ Thanks for backing me up zap2 unless that is some sarcasm i have failed to pick up on

I'll be honest, i have never played a metroid game in my life :eek:
    But judging by screenshots, it appears that it is in the first person perspective, Samus has a gun, and you shoot monsters in the game, hence me calling it a "First Person Shooter"
    If i am missing something blantantly obvious here, I am sorry :eek:

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Start here.

21. Poopface Morty macrumors regular

Poopface Morty

Unfortunately, that oversimplification means that people are probably expecting something similar to Halo, and that's very far from what the Metroid games are about. If anything, people expecting a shooter similar to the current (and IMHO, "stale") FPS genre will be sorely disappointed, unless they are specifically looking for something a bit unique. From what I've heard, it's not like Hunters--which was definitely more 'shooter'--but more like the original 'cube Metroids, focusing on exploration, though with the simplified controls there are some areas with a bit of shooter type gameplay.

I would much rather they focused on a core one player experience than a half-assed multiplayer effort and have some of the development focus taken away from the single player experience.

Does Bioshock have multiplayer or online, btw?

22. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

I've recently started playing Super Metroid....but clearly that isn't an FPS...its done in 3rd person.

I did NOT like Prime 1...I hated the controls. But also I was expecting an normal FPS...it wasn't. Clearly the controllers for Prime 1 and 2 were not based for shooting, they were for exploring.

However Hunters(and from the look of it Prime 3) controls are that of a FPS. Yes, there is more exploring then say Halo, but too me, its an FPS.

23. Poopface Morty macrumors regular

Poopface Morty

So because the game has adopted a more 'shooter' control scheme (actually, there are several controller settings, and one of them is more like a mouse/keyboard combo), due to complaints I would wager, does that mean gameplay should be forced to be something more akin to the mass of shooters that we already have? I wouldn't think that's such a great idea. Again, considering it as solely a FPS does a major disservice to the game, and more often than not sets people up for disappointment.

I'd say at least try it before you knock it. I hear many people who didn't like the first two Prime's dismissing this one already, having not played it.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Metroid is a FPA, just like Oblivion, Thief. Dare I say Deus Ex? Shooting isn't what progresses you, it's not the driving gameplay element only in boss battles. It's exploration. It doesn't even completely take place in the first person. Also through the process of removing 'twitch' FPS controls it also pushes it further from the genre.

Hunters was an FPS. Exploration was kept to a bare minimum and remained linear. It was specifically designed to be a deathmatch multiplayer.

25. Poopface Morty macrumors regular

Poopface Morty

This still won't deter those from saying it's in first person and you shoot, therefore, first person shooter. I don't get how the Prime series, which are very unique from other first person titles, can be labeled so easily to some. To me, FPS is a label specifically given to games with a shooter focus.