Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hal0n

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2004
You can detect rotation on the iPhone with the accelerometer, the question is how accurate it is to implement that thing. Constant rotation produces centrifugal forces, which are registered by the X and Y accelerometer (I have verified that).

centrifugal force is an illusion. the real forces would be centripetal and tangential. if the force was centrifugal (radially outward) the motion would be radially outward (a line) and not a circle (rotational).

pseudoscience ftl.

(L)

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2005
No
Although the iPhone can't detect angular acceleration (rotation), it can tell how it is oriented with respect to gravity -- it always knows which way 'down' is (unless it's experiencing simultaneous accelerations that make that ambiguous, including free fall). If you place the iPhone on an angled surface it will know which way down is, and will know how that changes if you rotate it -- so it can detect rotation within the constraint of its own plane when placed on an angled surface.

Think about the Labyrinth app -- if you place the phone on an angled surface the ball will roll 'down', and if you rotate the phone the ball will roll to the new 'down'. That's how an app like the hologram one could detect changes in angular position (rather than actual 'rotation'), and why people keep commenting about how they don't understand how it appears to be on a horizontal surface (where angular position detection wouldn't work).

I agree with you, but you might know... how steep does the angled surface need to be? The lower the better, in my mind. This really looks neat, but it'd be much more like 'coming alive,' if you will, if it could be done on a flat surface. Can the accelerometer + some software manipulation produce the effect?

Then again, wouldn't it be enough if we can rotate it with our fingers like in the video?

Darn, and I really thought that was novel. But wait, fake doesn't mean it's impossible to program, right?

Sijmen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Well it's not real, but to me 'fake' implies deception. Did the author claim it was real? And 'admit' is a big word too if he didn't.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Imagine, Microsoft coming out with the next version of Windows Mobile, finally integrating multitouch, only to be met by Apples iPhone with a full color, 3d holographic interface.

Not sure about multi-touch, which makes more sense on larger devices. But they've already shown pieces of Windows Mobile 7, and one input option is to use the camera to detect 3D movement of the phone... and your command gestures.

Darn, and I really thought that was novel. But wait, fake doesn't mean it's impossible to program, right?

As I said previously, this is being done today on other devices. Unfortunately, I can't find an example for you right now, but I'll keep looking.

In a similiar vein, here's a video where a guy used a Wii remote to track your head to emulate 3D images on a flat monitor. (Jump ahead to about 2:35 if you wish.) This would be a cool UI idea to implement in reverse on any phone (iPhone or Nokia or WM type) that has an accelerometer... let you look "behind" file cabinets, etc.

Edit: There'a another variation that's being done as well, where 3D objects are superimposed in realtime on top of the camera image. For example, you could point your camera at a tabletop and little chess pieces would appear on it. As you reach out an arm, the camera and software watch and let you "move" the pieces in realtime... even if you change the camera angle.

Edit again: Aha! Here you go for some examples of "augmented reality". Video here Most here use headtracking and googles, but the techniques are similar to what is being discussed here.

Amadeo

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
This would be so f'n cool to have. Hopefully someone can actually put the method to use and bring this idea to reality.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Well it's not real, but to me 'fake' implies deception. Did the author claim it was real? And 'admit' is a big word too if he didn't.

This is what he said originally:

"Ive just finished coding an application for the iphone/ipod touch. It gives the illusion of a 3d hologram jumping off the screen.

Here’s a video of it in use, featuring the Cat from my award-winning but unfinished cartoon PSS:"

jTreu

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
sucks that its fake, it'd be cool to play around with something like that on my phone.

SlapMonkey

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
Edit: There'a another variation that's being done as well, where 3D objects are superimposed in realtime on top of the camera image. For example, you could point your camera at a tabletop and little chess pieces would appear on it. As you reach out an arm, the camera and software watch and let you "move" the pieces in realtime... even if you change the camera angle.

Edit again: Aha! Here you go for some examples of "augmented reality". Video here Most here use headtracking and googles, but the techniques are similar to what is being discussed here.

I must have missed this whole Augmented Reality thing, but thanks to your link and after some research I've found there's quite a few people working on this type of stuff, including an upcoming ARToolkit for the iPhone.

Exciting stuff!

TheNightPhoenix

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2005
Nope. He never claimed it was real... So he wasn't trying to deceive anyone.

He did claim it was real, just look at Arns post above he said "Ive just finished coding an application for the iphone/ipod touch" not "I've just finished making a video to show what an application for the iphone/ipod touch could do"

FAKE.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
He clearly claimed that it the application was doing the work, hence, a deception. When I originally saw this, it seemed odd that someone who'd accomplished this said that he had "limited programming knowledge."

I'm sure that he generated a lot of traffic for his site, though.

k'five

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2008
Whoopde do, it was technically fake, it was technically bs, it was technically blah blah blah. Get over yourselves. The guy's got the gist of the idea, and needs a programmer (probably a team of programmers). I hope he gets them.

If it drove enough traffic to his site that it got even a few developers thinking 3d, then great. I'd love a simulated 3d environment in the iPhone that wouldn't require headgear to see.

The Dice app is a nice start.

maokh

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Seattle, WA
its too bad the accelerometer does not take inputs when the unit is flat on a table. no gravity at that axis. a 3d compass would probably be the answer, but i doubt they would drop in a $50 surface mount component for that novelty.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I must have missed this whole Augmented Reality thing, but thanks to your link and after some research I've found there's quite a few people working on this type of stuff, including an upcoming ARToolkit for the iPhone.

Exciting stuff!

Thanks for the feedback, and the link !

There is so much cool stuff out there that's not in the headlines (yet), it's hard to keep up.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
guys stop trying to defend him because he's an artist

he clearly lied to us

"Ive just finished coding an application for the iphone/ipod touch. "

can we please remove this link and stop offering him free traffic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.