iHomeAudio and Others to Offer AirPlay Peripherals

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

TUAW notes that iHome is the first company to officially announce an AirPlay-compatible product last week. Details are scarce, but iHome posted the above product photo described as "iHome AirPlay wireless speaker system with rechargeable battery." The speaker system will be available for the holiday season and will support Apple's new AirPlay protocol.

AirPlay was announced during the iPod media event and allows you to stream music to your AppleTV or other AirPlay-enabled device. Apple also announced that AirPlay will be integrated into a number of 3rd party speaker docks, AV receivers and stereo systems.
Say you have one set of speakers in your bedroom, one in the office, and one in the living room. For the ultimate sonic panorama, you can stream your tunes to more than one room simultaneously, so you’ll never lose the beat, no matter where you are in the house.
AirPlay also sends along artist information, song titles and album artwork on supported devices.

Apple's AirPlay page only lists music compatibility for these third part devices, but Apple's upcoming iOS update will also support streaming video-out support to the Apple TV.

Article Link: iHomeAudio and Others to Offer AirPlay Peripherals

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Good idea, but as highlighted on The Gadget Show (UK TV show, featured the Airport Express last night in a wireless music devices feature) they really just need to let it stream different songs/etc to different rooms from a central computer at the same time.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
AirPlay?

This is the first I've heard of this feature.
Is it in iTunes 10 or in an iPod?
As I don't own any iPods but do have iTunes 10 on my iMac, I may be very interested in this.
Thanks!

Howardchief

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Good idea, but as highlighted on The Gadget Show (UK TV show, featured the Airport Express last night in a wireless music devices feature) they really just need to let it stream different songs/etc to different rooms from a central computer at the same time.
That's a cool idea. But I'm just curious what the application of this would be. I wouldn't want this but I'm curious how you would use that function.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
That's a cool idea. But I'm just curious what the application of this would be. I wouldn't want this but I'm curious how you would use that function.
It would be useful if you were having a party and wanted some dancin' tunes in one room and something a little more laid back in another.

As it is though, just having to buy speakers to make it work rather than a great big kerching Sonos system, I think it is more than adequate.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Okay but how the hell is this supposed to work? I mean I see that it's over WiFi, but how are you speakers going to log into the WiFi network without a keyboard and a screen, and type in the password?

Also, why not make a small device that would allow you to use your existing, analog speakers and just plug them into the device, that would stream the music from your computer? I don't want small battery powered speakers, I already have those in my MacBook Pro.

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
Okay but how the hell is this supposed to work? I mean I see that it's over WiFi, but how are you speakers going to log into the WiFi network without a keyboard and a screen, and type in the password?

Also, why not make a small device that would allow you to use your existing, analog speakers and just plug them into the device, that would stream the music from your computer? I don't want small battery powered speakers, I already have those in my MacBook Pro.
You can already do that by plugging speakers into an Airport Express.

This is a great idea. Hopefully the sound quality will be better than my FM transmitter!

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Indeed. People seem to be making an awful lot of assumptions about how this service is supposed to work and getting very excited, but we're very light on details. People keep going crazy about transferring content from the iPad to an Apple TV, but if you do can you use any other applications? Has Apple discussed the rights issues with any content providers? Does it require coding into apps specially? Can it even work in a web stream through mobile Safari (I'd wager no)? Does this mean that all that traffic goes through my internal wi-fi network twice?

Phazer

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Now that is smart!
Also isn't that a massive power waste - having lots of these devices in every room in your house so if you just so happen to walk around you "won't miss a beat"? Lordy Loo the horror of that happening.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I wonder if Apple is going to update the Airport Express to be Airplay compatible or just let the APX wither on the vine. I'd much rather use APX to stream to powered speakers I already own. I've been doing this w/ AirTunes for years, but of course the iPad can't stream via Airtunes, only Airplay.

Duncanreally

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
Airport Express to be Airtunes compatible?

I hope so. I use Airtunes on the Airport Express, and it would be nice if Airplay would also work on it.

EDIT - I meant to say Airplay in the title. Duh.

deadkennedy

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
Is this an OS feature or iTunes feature? I.e. could I use it with other players such as Spotify? I don't really use iTunes that often, for podcasts only.

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Airfoil?

Sweet! Now to hope that their protocol licensing is as open that Airfoil can implement it on their client software.

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
It would be useful if you were having a party and wanted some dancin' tunes in one room and something a little more laid back in another.

As it is though, just having to buy speakers to make it work rather than a great big kerching Sonos system, I think it is more than adequate.
That's probably too complicated and too niche a power feature for Apple to include. As it is, you can hack it by having different devices Airplay to different speakers. (iPod touch streams to one room, computer streams to another, for instance.)

I wonder if Apple is going to update the Airport Express to be Airplay compatible or just let the APX wither on the vine. I'd much rather use APX to stream to powered speakers I already own. I've been doing this w/ AirTunes for years, but of course the iPad can't stream via Airtunes, only Airplay.
Does Airport Express not work with iTunes 10? #curious#

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008

it's very simple, this already happens with airport express - the speakers merely appear on a pulldown of available sound output options in iTunes. Very, very simple and already available. Also the device doesn't have to be batter powered.

You can already use your existing speakers and plug them into your mac or your airport express - nothing you're asking for hasn't already been developed and easily available.

All of this technology already exists for your mac, and I've been using it for a couple of years - I think you've been missing out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.