IKEA Details Plans for Furniture Placement App Powered by Apple's ARKit

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 19, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At WWDC this year, Apple senior vice president of software engineering Craig Federighi performed a demo of the company's new augmented reality platform, ARKit, while mentioning popular furniture company IKEA as an upcoming partner in the technology. Similarly, Apple CEO Tim Cook referenced an IKEA AR partnership in a recent interview with Bloomberg Businessweek.

Now, Ikea executive Michael Valdsgaard has spoken about the company's partnership with Apple and ARKit, describing an all-new augmented reality app that will help customers make "reliable buying decisions" for IKEA's big ticket items (via Digital.di) [Google Translate].

[​IMG]

When it launches, the app will let customers choose which IKEA product they want and then use an iPhone or iPad powered by ARKit to see how the IKEA furniture looks in their own home before it's purchased. IKEA has been doing this for years now, including an early version which required users to scan pages of an IKEA catalogue to view AR furniture, but the company said that Apple's platform will greatly increase the consistency and quality of the experience.

Valdsgaard said that the app will support between 500 and 600 IKEA products at launch with more being added afterwards. The augmented reality experience will even directly play into the development and launch of new products, as Valdsgaard explained that the company plans to first debut new pieces of furniture in the app to give customers a taste of what's coming.
    Selling furniture directly within the app is a possibility as well, but isn't the company's focus for the first iteration of the software. Valdsgaard said, "Ideally, you could put a sofa in your home with the help of the app, and then with one click add it in the shopping cart on the site. But we have a tight deadline."

Several teams are working on the technology behind the augmented reality app, including one "innovation team" of 150 people located in Älmhult, Sweden -- where the first IKEA opened -- as well as a twenty-person team specifically responsible for the 3D modeling of furniture. The ARKit-powered IKEA app is expected to launch this fall, following the iOS 11 update.

Article Link: IKEA Details Plans for Furniture Placement App Powered by Apple's ARKit

2. Z400Racer37 macrumors 6502a

Some stuff people come up with is just so cool...

3. jiggad369 macrumors regular

jiggad369

4. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

This is game changing. Being able to see how things will look when I'm browsing would open up a whole new way to shop for furniture.

5. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Practical implementation such as this will demonstrate the true possibilities to the masses far more than Snapchat. Then again, I forget that we are living in the year 2017 AK (anno Kardashianso).

6. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

This for me is the killer application of VR for people who aren't interested in gaming.

The only downside I see is you'd need the empty space in the room to see how it'd look. Eg you can't see how a new sofa will look whilst your old one is still there (unless Apple is working on recognising objects in the room with ML and attempting to replace them/covee them with AR, it might need dual depth lenses)

7. jrmckins macrumors newbie

jrmckins

Who will be the first to photoshop unassembled furniture into that photo?

8. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Figuring out how furniture will fit in your home can be challenging, so this could be quite useful.

9. darwin022 macrumors regular

10. imnotarobot macrumors newbie

My issue with this is what do you do with existing furniture in your house? Move it out into the garage so you can place AR content? ARKit doesn't help remove existing objects from the screen.

11. FactVsOpinion macrumors 6502

First of all, you may have an empty space, and second, there's no reason in principle why AR cannot find your floor (or other surface) and then overlay digital items on top of existing ones.

12. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

We had Photoshoped people on Instagram (& Facebook) Now, house, furniture, a sports car, a life-partner... Indeed game changing. A drone and an empty field is all you need to show your Batcave as the technology progresses, no one knows on the other side of the world.

13. Drfter macrumors newbie

Drfter

14. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

15. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

So that means this dork from Planet of the Apps is back to square one?
    (yes I watched the first half of that God-forsaken garbage fire of a show).

[​IMG]

He was saying they have the best marker-less AR on the market. :p

16. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

Walk right into the store without leaving the house.

17. shk718 macrumors 65816

Apple has opened the flood gates - giving simple easy access to AR ML to the independent programmer who, on their own, couldn't afford to write all the necessary code to make it work. I can't wait to see what the developers come up with. This will usher in the next wave of iPhone apps and change how we use our phones. Next step - hello glasses goodbye smart phones !!!!!

18. asiga macrumors 6502a

It's not a good idea to talk of future products (software or hardware) until they are ready, or at least in beta testing stage. You become a slave of the words you said in an scenario that can change. Steve Jobs really applied this rule in its max extents, and never announced a product until you could buy it. I'm not really a fan of Ikea, but I sympathize their development team in this moment. A week ago they were free. Now they won't be free anymore until they release this app.

19. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502

Vjosullivan

Yay, a furniture advert app. Is that really what everyone is drooling over? Reminds me of the BBC's "Walking with Dinosaurs: Photo Adventure" that first appeared three years ago. Dinosaurs walking through a jungle on your desktop. Still on iTunes, I believe.

20. nsimpson94 macrumors regular

Ugh me I guess
    Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 18.03.58.png

21. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Not really. People aren't really going to wear VR headsets to shop for furniture. VR is also cost prohibitive and impractical in this, and many other commercial applications. VR is probably going to be relegated to gaming and training sims.

AR on the other hand is primed for commercial applications such as this Ikea project. AR, from a consumers perspective, only requires the equipment we already own. No need for expensive nor cumbersome headsets and you don't lose the connection with the real world around you.

You can't really discuss AR and VR together. They are entirely separate technologies with entirely separate purposes.

22. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

The new iPads "Pro Motion" is getting us ready for AR.

23. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

As a developer myself this really isn't that complex of an app. The largest amount of work will be getting all their furniture as 3d models (Which likely already exist, but probably not in a friendly format.)

The example app from Apple using ARKit essentially already does this - places a 3d model into space at a fixed point. The "difficult" part will be coming up a UI that makes it simple for everyone to use.

They also have a head start since ARKit won't even be available for end users till the fall, four months is more than enough time to get something like this usable when the difficult parts are already implemented in ARKit (plane detection, size estimation, and point tracking)

24. Thunderhawks Suspended

Ready for the future, when I can download their Swedish meatballs with Lingonberry sauce.

25. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

I'll put one THERE, and there, and over there, and one there, and here, and two over there.

Perfect.