IKEA's Symfonisk Line Will Include a Table Lamp With Sonos Speaker, Support AirPlay 2

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 8, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ikea today revealed more information about its upcoming line of Sonos smart speakers, which the Swedish furniture company has dubbed "Symfonisk" (via The Verge). There will be two products in the line: The Symfonisk Table Lamp with Wi-Fi Speaker ($179) and Symfonisk Bookshelf with Wi-Fi Speaker ($99).

[​IMG]
    Image from Ikea/Sonos via The Verge

Each device will be controlled through the Sonos app, and Sonos CEO Patrick Spence suggested that the Table Lamp's audio quality will be similar to the Sonos One speaker. It has two class-D digital amplifiers, one tweeter, one mid-woofer, and a sealed enclosure. The Table Lamp and Bookshelf can also be stereo paired, used for multiroom audio, and they both support Apple's AirPlay 2.

A brief ad on Ikea's Italian YouTube channel shows off both products. The Symfonisk line aims to produce Wi-Fi smart speakers that also perform some kind of secondary furnishing purpose, such as an extra shelf on a wall and lighting in a room.

The ad showcases two people dancing around to music playing from the speaker, with bright and colorful lights strobing from the Symfonisk Table Lamp. As with any other standard lamp, users will be able to place a smart light bulb into the Symfonisk (such as Philips Hue) and connect the bulbs to their existing ecosystem of lights.

More information about the Symfonisk smart speaker line from Ikea and Sonos is expected to come out of the Milan Furniture Fair, which takes place April 9 through April 14 this year. The products will then go on sale in August 2019.

Article Link: IKEA's Symfonisk Line Will Include a Table Lamp With Sonos Speaker, Support AirPlay 2

2. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

3. beluga.sail macrumors newbie

Would love to know how bright these lights get.

4. DogHouseDub macrumors 6502

DogHouseDub

"It has two class-D digital amplifiers"

I've seen a few companies put this in their marketing materials as if it's a good thing. Class D amps are extremely efficient, but sound quality is not their forte. Good enough? Probably for 2019, considering all the compromises we've made in audio quality vs convenience. Nonetheless, I wouldn't put it in my advertisements.

5. RogerWilco macrumors 6502a

RogerWilco

Yet the HomePod uses the same class D amps.

6. Otto Pilot macrumors member

Otto Pilot

My first question is can these be paired with the Sonos Beam as satellite speakers for surround sound? That would make them pretty appealing to reduce clutter on the night tables where we currently have lamps. sonos play:eek:nes, a homepod, and various chargers.

7. PickUrPoison Suspended

Looks like a HomePod sitting on a plate, with a lamp glued on top. Design looks ok I guess, not exactly what I’d call inspired.

8. domhoenig macrumors regular

The advert makes it seem that way!

9. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

yeah, but Apple doesn't advertise that fact. ;)

I'm a fan of IKEA's Eneby speakers so I'm looking forward to the reviews of these when they're in stores.

10. MTW macrumors regular

Will out sell HomePod life-to-date in the first month.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 8, 2019 ---
    That is supported.

11. citysnaps macrumors 601

Does it directly stream Apple Music? Still too fugly for me.

12. FilipeTeixeira macrumors regular

Lost me at having to use the sonos app.
    This is still something I don't understand about sonos. There's no such thing as quick pairing or so. For example if I have people coming to my place, every time they want to play some music through their phones, they would need to install the sonos app and so on. Same with computers.
    I own a bose speaker, and the bluetooth pairing is awesome. No app required, no nonsense.
    And sound-wise it's not that far from Sonos, if not better.

13. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1

like a lot of things there are great and mediocre class-D amplifiers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICEpower

14. MTW macrumors regular

The idea is to prevent random people that are near your house from being able to play whatever they want to your speaker. Regardless, it's not really an issue anymore (if it were was) - you don't have to pair each phone with the app. Once the app is setup once, you can turn on AirPlay. Anyone that is on your WiFi network can AirPlay to the speaker without having to have the Sonos app installed.

Bluetooth is garbage. Plays phone notification sounds, requires the phone to be close to the speaker, is generally gross.

15. nutmac macrumors 601

It does not include any light bulb. I am not sure what the maximum bulb it supports, but if you don't care about smart home integration, you can use brighter bulb. I am not aware of any smart bulb that can output 1000 lumens or higher.

16. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Trust me for a Condo/Apartment they're definitely more than adequate and good enough. Dorm Rooms ... ain't no student going to be sleeping anyway LMAO!!!

Seein!

17. apolloa macrumors G4

I’ll be keeping an eye on these, could go on the Christmas list if it works with my Echo Dot as it now supports Apple Music.

18. ohwevad macrumors member

Great! I've always wanted to assemble a wireless speaker.

19. iMerik macrumors 6502a

Yes, it would use the same SONOS app, which streams Apple Music, Amazon Music, Spotify, etc., directly.

20. citysnaps macrumors 601

That would be a non-starter for me.

With HomePod I don’t need an app or a device nearby to play music. Just giving HomePod a verbal command within 20 feet is all that’s needed, and works extremely well.

21. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

Since the Symfonisk speaker doesn't have a microphone how would it work WITHOUT an app?

22. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

23. BlueCreek macrumors regular

It has airplay so doesn’t need a dedicated app, just would mean that Siri commands would need to be done through the connected iPhone/iPad

24. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

25. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

Airplay 2 is supported with newer Sonos speakers, including these so people with Apple devices at least don't need to use the Sonos App. Visitors would just need to be on the same wifi network. Bluetooth sound quality is definitely inferior to streaming over wifi.
    Yes, at least according to the Verge article at least you can pair two matching speakers to make as stereo pair, or pair them with a Playbar, Playbase or Beam as rear channel speakers.
    Completely dependent on what bulb you put in it ;)