iKlear & Glossy MBP = Not Cool.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miniConvert, Jul 3, 2007.

1. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Mhmph!

Well, my Glossy SR MBP screen was a little dusty after the last couple of weeks, so to keep it looking spotless I used my trusty iKlear and accompanying cloth. iKlear has worked fantastically well on all my matte Mac screens, so when I read on the bottle that it was also recommended for glossy I didn't think twice before applying it.

Anyway, it looked, how I'd describe as, greasy. It took about 15 minutes of polishing to remove it all, the last 5 being with my 30" ACD cloth (great cloth comes with these) as the iKlear one just seemed to be moving the iKlear 'grease' around. Thankfully it all looks spotless now, as best I can tell in this light, but I certainly wont use iKlear on my glossy MBP screen ever again!

Edit: For the smart-arses who think I can't read, here are the instructions as written on the bottle, which I followed!
    1) Turn off electronic device.
    2) Lightly mist screen with iKlear (one pump per square foot).
    3) Spread solution evenly using corner of Micro-Chamois or Micro-Fiber Cloth.
    4) Polish off solution using horizontal and vertical strokes.

2. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

You know that you're not supposed to spray the stuff on the screen, but on the cloth then wipe the screen. And you only really need a spray or two... not half the bottle. :D

I know... I get carried away with cleaning my machines too. I still open up my G5 and clean the insides and pull the parts out and clean them as well.

3. Mernak macrumors 6502

I use the iKlear wipes on my MacBook and it has the same effect, very annoying.

4. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

5. MacSyn macrumors regular

You should use saliva instead. It kills germs and its free!

6. thestaton macrumors 6502

same here. no more iKlear on my macbook pro either!

7. akabenlee macrumors newbie

if you read and follow the instructions then it works great! one pump, 12" away (i lay the cleaning cloth across the keyboard/trackpad area to prevent overspray), take a corner of the cloth and distribute the spray across the entire surface, using a dry portion of the cloth polish one small section at a time until it is removed. iKlear is a polish/protectant more than a cleaner. i recommend using the swiffer duster (i keep on at my desk at home) dust of the screen, if there are any spots from soup, coffee, spit whatever then remove it with a slightly damp old tshirt. then use the iKlear, my MacBook screen looks new after i do this. i even use iKlear to clean the casing of my Blackbook. good stuff:)

8. aristobrat macrumors G5

It's called iKlear Apple Polish for a reason, you know. ;)

9. piltupso macrumors regular

I have had the same problems with iklear and another product that was recommended by our electronics supply vendor for the glossy screens. Has anybody found anything that works properly on glossy screens?

10. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

I use (and sell) iKlear products and can only agree NOT to use the spray on the glossy screens as it smears.

Best cause of action;
    1. Use a blower, like what you would use for a camera lens to clear any dust and potentially scratchy particles.
    2. Use an Klear Screen or similar micro fiber cloth to polish and clean the screen.
    3. I sometimes finish off with the micro chamois (smooth) cloth.

Hope this helps.

Oh and any stubborn spots, a bit of breathe on the screen is the best bet, unless you have acid breath ;)

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

the directions say "Lightly mist the screen with iKlear (One pump per square foot).

well i cant speak for glossy, but i spray directly onto my matte. Turns out great.

12. DavoMrMac macrumors 6502

DavoMrMac

Yes, I agree, having a 12-inch PBook too with matte screen. Spray directly and it is fine. Use it on the glossy MacBook and it'll smear.

13. Jestered macrumors 6502

Sounds to me it worked great!

14. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

On a really dirty 15" you need two squirts other wise one will do.

15. miniConvert thread starter macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Lol, you guys ;)

Firstly, yes, I've used the product before and I'm familiar with how it's applied. One spray directly onto the surface normally gives a spotless finish within a minute.

Also, this stuff says on the bottle that it can also be used with glossy screens. My advice is simply this: don't :)

16. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

I just use a 50/50 mixture of 90% isopropyl alcohol and distilled water...works fine for me and it's basically the same mixture you buy from stores.

17. wildthing1994 macrumors member

wildthing1994

The best thing to use is baby shampoo and water, doesn't streak, and doesn't hurt your machine.

18. mayoko185 macrumors member

I just use cheap-o Anti-Static Cleaning Wipes from WallMart :p work fine for me hehe

19. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Serve you guys right for getting glossy screens! :p

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah I'm going to have to go with this!

21. 2fives macrumors regular

Crazy man crazy!! I spray my iklear right onto my glossy screen and use the small chamois type cloth to clean and the big chamois to polish. I find I do need to work at the buffing to get it clean....not 15 min, but a good minute or so.

By the way did you wash your chamois, maybe it's smearing the dirt around because it needs a washing.

22. miniConvert thread starter macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Yes, it was clean.

I'll just use my ACD cloth on it, dry, in the future.

iW00t - You have no idea how much I love this MBP, particularly its screen! It's just droolsome, best laptop display I have seen bar none. The glossy coating gives rich colour and makes WoW look fantastic.

23. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

This makes absolutely no sense to me what-so-ever. I use Klear Screen on my PB and it works flawlessly. I also use the Klear Screen 16 x 16 chamois cloth. I also use it to clean clear polybicarbonate instrument lenses in the car with no issues.

I'm questioning the integrity of your cloth at this point. I'm thinking it was contaminated with something.

24. miniConvert thread starter macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Do any of these have Glossy screen coatings?

25. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i use iklear travel singles (disposable wipes) and have not experienced much trouble... i just have to make sure i polish the screen real good after cleaning.