Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
I use the cloth I got with my Samsung HDTV many moons ago, blue lint-free thing that works wonders on my new Samsung 46", my Dell 2005FPW as well as the laptops (BlackBook and 17" Sony Vaio).

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Ah yes, one came with a new Samsung telly I bought recently. Haven't used it, but I don't think the quality is quite as good as the ACD cloths.

High quality microfibre cloths have generally been very good for me in the past when cleaning glossy screens - particularly the cloths designed for cleaning glare-resistance-coated spectacles.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
I use iKlear on my glossy MBP all the time and I've never had this issue you're talking about. It takes a few more wipes to get everything off of the screen, but I can wipe it off easily.

EDIT: I've used this on my Matte PB, Macbook, and Dell 2005fpw LCD, and no problems with any.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I have had the same problems with iklear and another product that was recommended by our electronics supply vendor for the glossy screens. Has anybody found anything that works properly on glossy screens?

Water. ;)

All I do to clean my MacBook is spray water on the screen, take a small, lint-free cloth (non-paper product) and rub off the water, than to clean the case I just take baby wipes, buff out the grease, than go over it with more water and dry it off.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I've only ever used windex on my monitors, works like a charm every time, never a problem. Cheaper than other stuff, too....

nick123222

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2009
Poole, Dorset, United Kingdom
Works fine for me

I use iKlear on my glossy 13" Macbook Pro screen and it works fine. You just need to spray the iKlear onto the cloth and clean and polish the screen in small sections so you polish off the iKlear immediately. I clean my screen in quarters usually.

aresinferno

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
I use iKlear on my glossy 13" Macbook Pro screen and it works fine. You just need to spray the iKlear onto the cloth and clean and polish the screen in small sections so you polish off the iKlear immediately. I clean my screen in quarters usually.

1. This thread is from 2007 so they are using older apple products.

2. Your uMBP has a glass panel over the screen so I don't think the problem with glossy screens applies to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.