Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazedbytheheat

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
Still a deal at $79

I know there are those who only use one of the apps or who don't have a lot of cash to spare, but IMO, this is a pretty good deal. Show me another video editing package alone that lets me do HD editing for $79 and I'll be impressed. iLife '04 was a good deal and iLife '05 is too. Here's hoping they really ship as promised.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
rdowns said:
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, $79; Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, $79; Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, $79; Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, $79; Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, $79.

As no one has talked about price, I'll take this as a direct reply to my post.
I'm sorry, but not all of us have that much cash floating around. surely you remember days when you counted money by $5 bills, and when you added up your net worth you went and checked the wallet too, because the $20 in there made a significant difference.

For those of us that the EDU discounted was created for, it hurts to see a product that we love and want to buy, double in price. It doesn't matter that the suit is worth $200, to me, it might as well cost $2000 because I can't afford it. And I don't mean can't justify it, I mean I can't afford it.

If $79 dollars is such a "blah blah blah" perhaps you could make a small donation, of say $59, to me so I can purchase iLife? no? ok :(

~Tyler

artifex

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2003
"any media" on idvd?

Anyone know if this includes +R DL media?

Also, macs should support external dvd burners connected via firewire or usb2, right? Or no? Or only a special list? I'd like to drop my "old" IDE-based NEC 2510a burner into an external cage w/fw or usb2 to use with the mac mini... Oh, should I beware of some cages? Any really good ones for macs? :)

jydesign

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2003
Garage Band finally takes ACID!

From apple.com - "GarageBand 2 also supports loops available in the Acid file format, allowing you to extend your creative options."

This was one of my only let downs for version 1 having been a happy ACID user with a bunch of loop libraries. I'm sure I'm not the only one that sent a request for this feature and it appears Apple listened. This really helps me leverage my loop investment. I'm very pleased and ordered my copy today.

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
What sucks is that just 12 days ago I got my iMac...But I will still spend money for this. I thought iPhoto 4 was awesome...iPhoto 5 looks to be even better!!

One question...Anyone know if this software would be included in Tiger? To those who bought Panther when it came out, was iLife included? If it isn't typical to include iLife with the store bought OS then I will buy iLife next week when it releases...if not, I will wait for Tiger.

Harry K.

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2003
North Carolina
Serial Numbers?

I heard from one rumor site that they thought there would be a serial number on iWork. Does anyone know how true that is? They wouldn't say it at Apple.com- "look a new serial number, too!" so any idea on that?

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
Earendil said:
I'm a poor lowly college student that really wanted to see iLife '05, and had budgeted an account that won't see growth until summer, just so I could order this right away. But I don't have $60...
~Tyler

You dont have $60.00?? :eek:

I bet you spend more than that on a "College Night Out" :rolleyes:

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
Harry K. said:
I heard from one rumor site that they thought there would be a serial number on iWork. Does anyone know how true that is? They wouldn't say it at Apple.com- "look a new serial number, too!" so any idea on that?

NO Serial Number! I ordered both iLife05 and iWorks - and asked how many computers can I install it on. Apple rep on the phone told me: "We dont count how many times the software is installed - we dont use serial numbers like Microsoft Office Suite does'.

:D

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
Earendil said:
I'm sorry, but not all of us have that much cash floating around. surely you remember days when you counted money by $5 bills, and when you added up your net worth you went and checked the wallet too, because the $20 in there made a significant difference.

For those of us that the EDU discounted was created for, it hurts to see a product that we love and want to buy, double in price. It doesn't matter that the suit is worth $200, to me, it might as well cost $2000 because I can't afford it. And I don't mean can't justify it, I mean I can't afford it.

If $79 dollars is such a "blah blah blah" perhaps you could make a small donation, of say $59, to me so I can purchase iLife? no? ok :(

~Tyler

Sorry dude but if someone here doesnt have $60.00 to spare - then you dont have money to spare to even have Internet access - let alone even USE ANY iLife package! If you that dirt poor - how in the world are you gonna buy blank DVD's? :eek:

Come on - lets be serious - I see people on "Food Stamps" Spend $5,000 on Spinning rims and complain they have no income.

Manage your money - If you dont have $60.00 - Thats really "below food stamp" levels - and at that point I would say ANY computer is way off limits to you (pee cee included) :rolleyes:

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
jydesign said:
From apple.com - "GarageBand 2 also supports loops available in the Acid file format, allowing you to extend your creative options."

This was one of my only let downs for version 1 having been a happy ACID user with a bunch of loop libraries. I'm sure I'm not the only one that sent a request for this feature and it appears Apple listened. This really helps me leverage my loop investment. I'm very pleased and ordered my copy today.

Woooohoooooooo Acid! I cant wait for GarageBand 3 when it will support XTC!! :p

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
artifex said:
Anyone know if this includes +R DL media?

Also, macs should support external dvd burners connected via firewire or usb2, right? Or no? Or only a special list? I'd like to drop my "old" IDE-based NEC 2510a burner into an external cage w/fw or usb2 to use with the mac mini... Oh, should I beware of some cages? Any really good ones for macs? :)

No support for "Dual Layer" DVDs (which are about $10.00 EACH right now). Untill prices come down - I would imagine an incremental update in the future to support - but I would imagine that at the same time PowerMacs will have Internal Dual Layer DVD Burners from the factory as well.

walkingmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2003
Greater Cincinnati
what I am really hoping for is for apple to develop their own 'Project Center'. Something that goes beyond iCal and is geared more for the mac mercenaries in all of us. To have an app that can help the really plan out a project in a way that is creative and flexible and with an Apple touch.

thoughts?

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
You dont have $60.00??

I bet you spend more than that on a "College Night Out"

TranceClubMusic said:
You dont have $60.00??

Sorry dude but if someone here doesnt have $60.00 to spare - then you dont have money to spare to even have Internet access - let alone even USE ANY iLife package! If you that dirt poor - how in the world are you gonna buy blank DVD's? :eek:

Come on - lets be serious - I see people on "Food Stamps" Spend $5,000 on Spinning rims and complain they have no income.

Manage your money - If you dont have $60.00 - Thats really "below food stamp" levels - and at that point I would say ANY computer is way off limits to you (pee cee included) :rolleyes:

Read my post again, I'm in College.
College for me means keeping a 3.5 GPA, which as a CS major without a car means that atm no job. My money comes when I go home and sign my life away to the DNR for the summer. Summer checks are written to college tuition, so as to keep poans as low and as few as possible. I entered college with $250 to my name, and still have $90 left for the rest of the year. I'm feeling pretty good about only spending THAT much. Now maybe you see a difference between $30 and $60 :cool:

My room, food, and internet are paid for. No girl friend, and no car, and I don't drink, so my "college nights out" aren't too often, and don't cost anything.
We all make choices, I know, those are mine. But now you understand how I can be "dirt poor" until summer, and yet still have a place to live, and internet access.

~Tyler

fatfish

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2003
Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Get Real

TranceClubMusic said:

My nephew earns £ 170.00 a week, gets paid on Friday, pays his rent, goes down the pub Friday night and wakes up Saturday with around £ 1.17 and scrounges food all week. He can't afford to do it, but still does.

Maybe the guy who can't afford to buy iLife has much more sense than my nephew, than doing that which he can't afford. If my nephew were to scrounge an old PC or better still have one of my cast off macs, and spend a small proportion of what he wastes in the pub on an internet connection, not only could he entertain himself all week (and remember it), but might even educate himself in the process. If he did, I would certainly think more of him.

MontyZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2005
I was very excited about iWorks, until I saw there's no spreadsheet. SIGH!

I would eagerly stop using bloated, buggy MS Office if iWorks contained a spreadsheet, but, now I've got to stick with Excel, so, no point in not using Word. I could care less about Powerpoint/Keynote, but, I really was hoping iWorks had a spreadsheet.

Maybe next year. Until then, MS Office unfortunately remains on my hard disk.

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
I was really looking forward to a spreadsheet app but it appears that they are on a path of releasing one part of the suite at a time. That's ok with me because it shows they want to do it right... not just get it out the door. I am really looking forward to iLife 5 though I think that I will wait til the Tiger release. Doesn't it come bundled with the next OS typically?
By the way... it was like macrumors got slashdotted today. It was impossible for me to get anywhere near a furom for the longest time. Good to see all the excitement.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Earendil said:

~Tyler

Sorry, I gave all, and I mean all, my spare cash to tsunami relief.

Yes, I remember those days well. However, I've busted my ass for years and now earn a very healthy six figure income. That being said, my heart isn't bleeding for a 15" PB owner. If you really want iLife 05, surely you could find a way to sock away a buck a day for 2 months.

mactropy

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2004
M&M's
What's with the complaints about the price?

I noticed some users were complaining about the retail price for iLife '05. I am not rich by any means, but I can't really understand this. After all nobody's life depends on purchasing/owning this software. Well, at least I would assume that.

So, if you really want the new iLife, then you'll find the money so that you can buy this -obviously- super important package. I try to look beyond the actual price and appreciate the added value it offers. I believe that for this price, you get excellent value.

Nobody seems to complain about Pages/Keynote. I purchased Keynote for the regular price a year ago. I don't feel bummed out that it is now offered for roughly half the price.

I'm looking forward to seeing more complaints, though! So keep 'em coming!
:D

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
are iLife and iWorks included in new iMacs?

the apple store says only iLife is included.

Included software
Mac OS X version 10.3 “Panther”, the world's most advanced operating system, iLife (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and GarageBand), AppleWorks, Quicken 2004 for Mac, World Book 2004 Edition, Nanosaur 2, Marble Blast Gold, Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, Apple Hardware Test and more

I had hoped to buy an iMac this summer and get iWorks, iLife, Tiger for free. would save me 300 smilies in software.........
but i think iLife alone is worth it!

andi

fatbarstard

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2003
New Zealand
Next January look out for....

NUMBERS!!!!!

Or some such name - but I'm betting that Apple will add a spreadsheet to the iWorks package next year and then have a full on suite of 'producitvity' tools to sell to us... and knowing Apple is will be many times better than that dog commonly known as excel - talk about the name not living up to the product!!

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I don't use a Spreadsheet often, but I can't imagine a productivity suite not having one. If Pages indeed does not include one, I am sure it will be in iWork '06... But a year sure seems like a long time to wait for a spreadsheet.

Bandit

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2001
Does anyone know if iDVD will work with 3rd party drives yet? or if Keynote 2 can add web links?

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2003
Earendil said:
You dont have $60.00??

Read my post again, I'm in College.
College for me means keeping a 3.5 GPA, which as a CS major without a car means that atm no job. My money comes when I go home and sign my life away to the DNR for the summer. Summer checks are written to college tuition, so as to keep poans as low and as few as possible. I entered college with $250 to my name, and still have $90 left for the rest of the year. I'm feeling pretty good about only spending THAT much. Now maybe you see a difference between $30 and $60 :cool:

My room, food, and internet are paid for. No girl friend, and no car, and I don't drink, so my "college nights out" aren't too often, and don't cost anything.
We all make choices, I know, those are mine. But now you understand how I can be "dirt poor" until summer, and yet still have a place to live, and internet access.

~Tyler

Rake some leaves or shovel some snow one weekend. Come on, I have faith in you. It will build character.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Pages exports HTML !!!

I don't know why it isn't expressed more obviously, but Pages exports HTML! This is HUGE. I know tons of less technically (sp?) inclined people who have been looking for an easy way to design a website that wasn't too expensive and they've been waitng for a long time for something like this. I have a friend that I know for certain will buy this once he hears about it.

Awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.