Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

102850-ilife_11_fp_amazon.jpg

A report from TUAW has been gaining some attention today for its revelation of an entry on Amazon's site for an iLife '11 Family Pack priced at $99. The entry was apparently originally noticed late last month by a poster on Macworld's forum who also spotted the single-user version priced at $79. Both entries are listed as shipping in 2-4 weeks and claim that they were first posted on July 27th.

102850-ilife_11_amazon.jpg

Amazon has frequently posted information on Apple product releases, including listing for the products themselves as well as other products such as books written as user guides for products that had not yet been released. We do not believe, however, that Amazon generally receives specific advance notice of Apple's release plans, and instead relies on rumors and release date guesses from third-parties such as book publishers to create placeholder pages in advance of product releases.

In the closest parallel to this most recent example, Amazon posted entries for iLife '07 and iWork '07 just ahead of Apple's Macworld San Francisco keynote in January 2007. By the following day, the entries were updated to read as generic placeholders, and then removed entirely.

In retrospect, Amazon's postings were clearly guesses, as iLife had up until that time seen updates each January. Apple ultimately did not release iLife '07 and iWork '07 at MWSF 2007, holding off until August 2007 to release iLife '08 and iWork '08 and skipping the "'07" versions entirely.

Consequently, we place little faith in Amazon's new listings being specific indicators of imminent releases, and would tend to regard even posting that turn out to be correct as merely good speculation or chance. As Apple has moved to a roughly 18-month release cycle for iLife over the past few versions, expectations have been high that Apple will deliver an update in the near future. One specific claim had pointed to an August 17th release for iLife '11, while other suggestions had pointed to the possibility of an introduction at Apple's media event last week. Neither obviously came to pass, and users continue to await revised versions of Apple's multimedia and productivity suites.

Article Link: iLife '11 Pages Appear on Amazon's Site

james948

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2004
Argh. Anxiously awaiting this

I reckon Amazon's probably right. They're surely going to release '11 before Christmas and September sounds about right.

Comment

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I reckon Amazon's probably right. They're surely going to release '11 before Christmas and September sounds about right.

Maybe they'll do it just for Christmas during that buying spree everyone has.

Comment

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'm eager to find out whether the rumor's true that iDVD will be missing from iLife 11. Perhaps Apple will choose to make it part of the OS, like iTunes. But if iDVD disappears entirely, I'll pass on upgrading. I use iDVD more than iMovie for quickly assembling video projects.

Comment

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
I'm more interested because an updated iLife means an vastly updated Quicktime X framework, which would mean a better framework for the eventual rewrite of iTunes. In the suite itself, the only thing I look forward to upgrading is iMovie, which is a really basic program that a lot of free third-party programs outdo.

Comment

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I hope it's possible to make music DVDs that loop just the graphics, not that restart the music when the graphics are done.

Comment

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
if iDVD disappears entirely, I'll pass on upgrading. I use iDVD more than iMovie for quickly assembling video projects.

I think the capability will remain for a long time, but Apple is so fixated on destroying disc media... they will certainly drop the name and change the icon.

Comment

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
iDVD's days are numbered

... I use iDVD more than iMovie for quickly assembling video projects.

Apple has been making it harder and harder to use iDVD over the years. iMovie used to have a "Create iDVD Project" button, which launched iDVD and loaded your iMovie project into it. Now you need to "share" your iMovie, launch iDVD separately, then search for your iMovie in the list of "Media" for iDVD to import.

And to top things off, standard def video quality isn't as good as it was before, and you can't put chapter markers where you want them. iDVD only lets you break up your iMovie into chapters at regular time intervals. (There is a workaround but it isn't worth the trouble.)

Apple wants consumers to use AirPlay to view their iMovies. And Apple wants video professionals to use DVD Studio Pro (if it's still around.) It's clear that Apple wants to kill off DVD and Blu-Ray. And I suspect Steve simply got sick and tired of demoing iDVD at Macworld year after year, then having to change topics the moment it was time to drop that blank DVD in the slot. You could almost see him thinking "There has to be a better way..."

Comment

BreuerEditor

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
New Jersey
Disabled

Amazon.com apparently took the link down.

I'd love iWeb to get the full facelift it needs and add HTML editing built-in.

Comment

Goldfrapp

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
US&A
My iWeb '11 wish list:

- Flash/HTML5 animations
- more shadow, reflection and rotation options (e.g., skewed, curled, angled)
- image rollovers
- optimised coding
- comment box
- more sophisticated counter (hits vs. unique visits)
- Vimeo, Tumblr integration
- Mobile optimisation (iPhone, iPad, etc.)
- member page creation (e.g., visitors being able to create their own personal pages [password-protected or not] on one's iWeb site)
- obviously, more themes, more image frames
- MP3 streaming player (vs. progressive)
- multi-coloured lettering (e.g., top half one colour, bottom half another)

Comment

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
My wish list:

iLife '11
- Garageband (add more podcasting features like Podcast Maker.app)
- iWeb (with some more Coda/ Rapidweaver type features, and more HTML5)
- iPhoto
- iDVD (Some needed updated themes and other updates)
- iMovie
- An image editing program (like Pixelmator)
- * Update to Quicktime X, (brings it more on par with Quiccktime 7)

iWork '11
- Pages (make mail merge more robust and rename to data merge)
- Keynote (a return of the clipart from like Keynote 1/2 had)
- Numbers
- a finance program (like quicken/ibank) that can export to TurboTax/Tax Cut (could be called accountant, Ledger, iBudget, Budget, etc.)
- Updates for Mail to bring it more on par with Groupwise/Outlook)
* More templates in all apps

Comment

B. Hunter

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2005
Pacific Northwest
My wish list:

That Apple would release new versions of software (even pro apps) to give us hope that they actually still care about laptop & desktop users.:mad:

Comment

Dirty Harry

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
Valencia, SPAIN
Garageband'11 wishlist

Attention to drummers and bass players real needs, not only piano and guitar stuff. Drum notation, drum key. "Learn to play" basic and artist lessons for both drummers and bass players. More "Band in a box" features.

Comment

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Woop woop! Some Mac stuff at last!

My wish list:

That Apple would release new versions of software (even pro apps) to give us hope that they actually still care about laptop & desktop users.:mad:
Man, you guys are grouchy. Virtually the entire Mac range has had recent updates, which is pretty much a first for Apple since the Intel transition. Now both rumours and retailers are letting slip a new iLife and possibly iWork are coming. What more do you want? :p

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.