iLife 11 Upgrade with Mac purchase?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jclardy, Jul 26, 2010.

1. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I am getting a new MBP in the next two weeks. If Apple releases a new iLife within the month will they give me a drop-in disc to upgrade mine?

I know after it is released they stick the drop-in disc I into the older models until the newer ones start shipping with it preinstalled because my 24" iMac was like that.

Just wondering because I'm trying to buy on tax free weekend in my state.

2. Khryz macrumors 6502a

I'm curious about this as well. My new MBP arrived today but if they release iLife '11 in like 2 weeks would I be eligible for a free upgrade or at least a discount?

Not sure how it was done in the past.

3. Shadow Zujed macrumors member

I am in the same boat. I was going to order my MBP today, but don't want to NOT get the new iLife and possible iWork 11.

I posted this in a different topic, but I talked to an apple CS rep and got expected responses and wasn't told that if this was to happen whether or not I would get a discount/free upgrade. I would be pissed if I didn't so I don't know if I want to risk it.

4. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

What if you didn't buy from Apple, would you still get the upgrade?

5. Shadow Zujed macrumors member

I think you would actually be less likely to get an upgrade if you didn't buy via apple. If you bought through them you could probably compain until you got a free upgrade.

6. unamused macrumors 6502

7. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Just remember the snow leopard deal. I bought my MacBook Pro the first day it was released, in June of '09.
    When they announced snow leopard, anyone who had bought one of the new revision I did got snow leopard for (I can't remember, it was ethier free or $9.99)
    Anyway, $9.99 is 60% off the retail price, and free is even better. I'm sure Apple will do something like this for people that have recently purchased.

8. 81Tiger04 macrumors 6502

I ordered my MBP from Apple last night, only to read the "news" this morning. Anyway, I called Apple and talked to a CS Rep. They didn't deny that iLife '11 was coming out, but they didn't necessarily confirm it either. I asked them about a potential upgrade to '11 and explained that I'd like to cancel my order under the idea that I just spent $2K on a computer and don't want some of the software to be obsolete in a couple weeks. He understood and said that they usually have a 2-week "window" for purchases and upgrades. I also asked him if the upgrade would be through a disc or via a download. He didn't know but said that if I really wanted a disc, I just had to call (the reason being that if I ever had to restore my system, I'd want to be able to get '11). Before we hung up, I asked what would happen if '11 was released after the 2-week window (ie. a month). He said just to call up and we can work something out.

FWIW ... I got him to make a note of the conversation and what was said. It didn't sound like upgrading would be an issue.

9. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Apparently the source of this news changed the date to Aug 17. That's about 1 month since I ordered mine and 3 weeks since I received it.

I'd hope to still be eligible for a discount. $10 vs. $80 is a huge difference.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No, there likely won't be an iLife 2010 - despite whatever Macgasm and the rest of the blogs were ranting about.

The grandfather clause has extended two weeks and other occasions longer. It's hard to tell how much time they would give this year, but I'd guess two weeks as the favorite.

11. vant macrumors 65816

It's just iLife. The only thing I even bother to use is iPhoto.

12. mynewromantica macrumors regular

So that means it can't be important to anybody else?

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I seriously hope that it comes out tomorrow because I bought my Mac a week ago and maybe they'll upgrade me :D

Otherwise, I'm just going to keep using iLife and iWork 09 and maybe buy a box set whenever 10.7 comes out.

14. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

hold your tongue the rumor said there is a new app

Introducing....wow I really have no idea what it might be.

15. 81Tiger04 macrumors 6502

It sounds to me as if the policy is 14 days before it's release with 30 days being negotiable, but the max.

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...they usually call it a "drop in upgrade kit" and charge $9.99... depends on who you talk to as to how "far back" they will allow you to go...

17. spacedesign911 macrumors regular

I just got my MBP Thursday... Yeah I'd be a happy camper with a low cost upgrade.

Anyone recall when you used to buy your beige macs and you got a pair of coupons in the box for System 7 or whatever upgrade discs via the post?

18. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

i ordered my mbp15 CTO last week, however i chose to pay by bank deposit and didnt transfer the money yet. from what i understand i have 30 days to pay the amount to apple before they cancel the order.

so if i would wait for lets say two weeks before paying and ilife '11 is released, would it be logical to assume that they ship it out with the new version preinstalled even if my order precedes the release date? it would seem illogical to think they would still ship out mbp's with the old version after 17/8, right?

19. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

Anyone know where refurbs fit in with new releases of iLife? Do they get the new version?

I'm actually looking at ordering a refurb iMac now and I think it may be better to wait for August 17 to get the new iLife...

20. KirkL macrumors 6502

Even though I probably won't have much use for iLife, it's the idea of spending $1000+ on a computer only to already have obselete software.

21. heesey1010 macrumors member

Refurbs are, I believe, just as eligible for iLife '11 in the same way that new computers are. But correct me if I'm wrong

22. pjcforpres2020 macrumors regular

Refurbs are as is according to the t's&c's of the refurb store. You can buy the newest iLife separate, but it would be best to wait to buy it until they update it.

I noticed today new iMacs bought august 1st or after with office 08 will get a free update to office 11.

23. KirkL macrumors 6502

But that's a Microsoft decision, isn't it (considering MS sells Office)? And it's fairly common for them to do so. They did it with Vista and Windows 7 upgrades. Plus the Office free update seems common place - I saw it on several sites (Dell, HP etc) when I was shopping around.

I was digging around the old iLife 09 threads and it seems Apple does a $9.95 upgrade but they are very strict about the time span.

24. pjcforpres2020 macrumors regular

It is a m$ decision, I was just saying.

25. KirkL macrumors 6502

Ah okay. For a sec I thought you meant Apple was offering the free upgrade of Office 11 :p