Illegal to use Apple Watch while driving in CA?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by EdisEdward, Apr 8, 2015.

1. EdisEdward macrumors 6502

Anyone know if we are allowed to use this device to navigate/text/make phone calls while driving in CA? Thank you

2. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

No, I don't think so. It can even take calls plus I'm guessing just like fooling with a navigation, MP3, or any device while driving it will be deemed unsafe. Probably depends on how you use it but that's my assumption though

3. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

4. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

From my experience with a smartwatch in 6 months, using it for any purpose (navigation included) while driving is unsafe. Period. Legal or not.

5. AFDoc macrumors 68030

So you're saying one can't look at the time on a smart watch while driving? LoL.... Ok.

6. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Trust me - activating the watch face while your hand is on the wheel won't be as easy and reliable as you think.

7. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

So where can we read your review of the watch?

Oh, you've never used one before? Then why would we trust you to know something like that?

8. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Ignore samiznaetekto. He has some kind of axe to grind with the Apple Watch and speaks as if he is some kind of authority on it and all of its achilles heels.

9. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I don't believe it would be illegal, and if it is, I doubt it is enforceable. Having said that, and having used a watch that delivers notifications, it really isn't safe to look at while driving. While it is closer to the windshield, it still requires 100% of your attention because you are reading text. It is probably about as unsafe as a phone, albeit for potentially less time. Using Siri to read your messages is far safer.

10. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

It is illegal in Georgia. I drive in Gwinnett County, a lot. I've seen this guy in action and know many that he's cited for using GPS on their phone. Any device using the internet is illegal, that's going to include the watch.

Cop claims he’s issued nearly 800 tickets for texting and driving

11. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Trust me - feeling my notifications come in with a vibration and then quickly glancing at my watch while my right hand is on the wheel is as easy and reliable as any sensible person would think.

----------

Don't look at your cars clock. Don't touch the radio. don't look at the steering wheel controls. Don't look down to grab your drink. :rolleyes:

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

He at least seems to have smartwatch experience.

I can tell, because his thoughts echo many of mine, and others with such experience.

His comments are not anti-Apple.

They are comments which apply pretty universally to any smartwatch with the same features.

I.e. turning on the display is not always easy. And reading maps or notifications on such a close but tiny screen while driving, is not a good idea.

You own a Pebble, right? But it doesn't have the turn-on problem.

13. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Go back and look at his previous posts. Clearly, he is not a fan of the watch. My issue is that he posts all kinds of conjecture (my personal favorite is that the space where the band connects to the watch will get "all gunked up" with stuff and get stuck) about a watch that neither he nor any of us have even seen in person. So stating, "Trust me, activating the watch face while driving won't be as easy as you think," is pointless because he can't possibly know this about the Apple Watch. Even if you're not able to activate the face by turning your wrist while driving, tapping the screen is NOT that difficult.

Using a Gear S for a few months doesn't make him an expert on all things Apple Watch. I've already added him to my ignore list because of his constant conjecture he presents as fact.

Not that I'm advocating the use of a smartwatch while driving.

14. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Having smartwatch experience means absolutely nothing when it comes to how easy the Apple Watch's screen will turn on. The only experience that matters in this case is if he has been using an Apple Watch.

Apple has a long history of taking the time to get features right where other companies fail. His experience with a POS Samsung smartwatch has no relevance to this discussion.

15. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

You misunderstand. Looking at the radio or clock is not the same as looking at who sent an email and what the subject line is. Again, as someone who has a watch that delivers notifications, it is distracting while driving. About as distracting as reading the same notification on a phone. Far more distracting than radio controls.

The same arguments were made with Google Glass. The thought was that you could be more aware because the info was in front of you field of view. That was quickly debunked when people realized it isn't the location, it is the content that is distracting.

However, feel free to continue to roll your eyes. I work with teenagers every day.

----------

Reluctantly, in his defense, Topolsky did say the watch does not reliably turn on by simply raising your arm. It sounds like he may be right.

16. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

Your condescending attitude is getting old. I saw in official reviews earlier that one of the big problems is raising your wrist to activate the screen is buggy. They went on to say it was even frustrating at times. It's safe to say he made a valid argument and he merely mentioned Samsung to show he's not new to the smartwatch game

17. technosix macrumors 6502a

Had I not had my eyes on the road and reacted within milliseconds swerving to avoid the car that pulled into my lane at only about 40 mph...yet HITTING and destroying the car immediately behind me (I stopped to call 911) I would have been the one pinned in the car. Then airlifted to the hospital today!

I kid you not..that could have been me as I'm as guilty as anyone about "glancing" at my phone.

I learned today!!

18. cwosigns macrumors 65816

All of which may be ironed out with a software update by the time the thing ships. If not by then, shortly after. But even if the raise-to-activate feature is a bit buggy at first, tapping the screen will accomplish the same thing (again...not that I'm advocating using electronic devices while driving).

----------

Glad you're okay. I never look at my phone while driving. I never speed. I'll tell you, if 41-year-old me had told 20-year-old me that in 2015 I'd be driving 65 MPH on the interstate listening to Frank Sinatra...the 20yo would have laughed in his face.

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Perhaps, but again, I think most of his complaints/comments can apply to any smartwatch.

True, at least if you drive an automatic. Still, that's an extra motion and hand off the wheel instead of just being able to glance at the time, any time.

Which reminds me, one of the things that annoys me with many smartwatches is not having a second hand constantly visible. You tap the screen to get one, then you do whatever you're trying to time... and the watchface goes back to off/dim with no second hand! Woof. And no, stopping to launch a timer app is not always a viable solution.

Actually, since the problem is not easily solvable by anyone, his experience does matter.

However, if you don't believe that, then look at all the reviews. As 9to5mac noted, the turn-on issue was often listed as a major annoyance.

Sure it does. As does my experience with wearables going back to the turn of the century.

There is no magic solution possible to this problem using the hardware that current smartwatches contain. (Except of course, those that leave the display on all the time.)

20. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I agree, it's not an issue for me really. I'm used to the obnoxious wrist flick on my Pebble lol

21. GrumpyMom, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Texting and driving is as dangerous as drunk driving and I commend the cop for stopping that. But is he really unable to discern the difference between that and having your phone function as a GPS? Or has he seen too many people try to pretend they were using the GPS and not texting? Or is his jurisdiction wildly revenue hungry? I wish I had time to read the article right now but I've got to sleep soon and want to spend the time on fun stuff and not something that might make my blood boil.

Nevermind...took a peak and it's a short article. He's not unreasonable. He likely would never pull me over because when my phone is acting as a GPS I never touch it or even really look at it. It's just speaking directions to me. He counts finger taps to determine what people are doing on their phones.

22. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Yes. Lying in bed trying to see the time I get tennis elbow, but when I'm parallel parking at night it lights up like the 4th of July. Sometimes I pretend to parallel park just to get the light to come on.

23. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yeah I'd also noticed he has a fascination with gunk - but he's absolutely right.

I've worn a steel watch daily for decades and the crud that builds in the grooves is truly impressive. Your body sheds a million dead skin cells every day. Add sweat and sebum (oil) to the mix and you have a nice gooey paste. It's all part of being human.

The good news is that you can take the band off of the watch easily and give it a good clean if it worries you.

24. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Ya'll must be dirty. :) I live in my Pebble Steel (sleep in it, shower in it, do everything in it) and I have zero trouble with any gunk.

25. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

From the article, it seems he tickets a lot of people at stop lights. Even if you are stopped at a red light, you are driving and therefore can't text. He doesn't know if you are texting, he counts the number of times someone touches the screen and if more than 10 (e.g. making a call), you get a ticket.