I'm A Bit Worried To Update To 10.5.7?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by youashwag, May 24, 2009.

1. youashwag macrumors regular

I haven't fully downloaded and installed the new update yet and I am still contemplating if I even should still. I have been looking at different forums and reading numerous problems and bugs that have been plaguing many people iMacs and that isn't reassuring much to do it?

So if I do decide to do it, does anyone have any tips or precautions they can tell me so I can possibly have an easy download and install?

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Me 2

Maybe run disc repair or repair permissions first before updating. Reboot the machine before downloading the update also.

I have an iMac I have not updated yet either. I'm not going to either. I did however update my new uMBP and since it's run a little slow and I get the spinning blue ball all the time. I never used to see that. The Laptop is only a few months old and has no 3rd party software on it. The MBP still runds fine but I have certainly noticed a difference. So much so I am NOT updating my 2008 24" iMac.

If it's not broke don't fix it. (my moto) for now.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Ughhh, You guys suck!
    I'm downloading the 10.5.7 update right now on my G5 tower.

I literally hit the download button and came to this thread :/

Got me all scared now :eek:

4. bartelby macrumors Core

I'm using a PPC and had no problems with the update.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

6. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

No issues on my 2008 iMac 2.66 or Previous revision MBP 2.4

7. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

What I just bought this Macbook last Monday and have already updated the day I bought it. By the sounds of of update, no wonder I've had numerous problems.

What is the deal?

8. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I haven't had any problems w/ the update...2.33 Intel MBP here.

9. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Upgraded my PPC iMac the day the update came out: 0 problems.
    Upgraded dozens of 2008 and 2009 iMac's at work within days: 0 problems.

So, I don't get the paranoia. :eek:

10. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

updated my QS on day 1 using ASU, neveranottaproblemo :eek:

FYI.....have done every update since the very first OS X public beta on everything from an old beige G3 & up, same as above.........

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Updated my Intel a few days after release and now I can't delete email.

12. youashwag thread starter macrumors regular

Yah see that's what I have been feeling. I mean I have had zero problems with my iMac and have had it just a year now. I have already downloaded 6% of the update but cancelled it while it was still downlading bc I was reading about so many problems about it. I am also wondering if there is a difference between doing it through the software update or the combo update?

13. sven- macrumors member

For what it's worth:

Mac Pro early 2008: updated to 10.5.7 (had to do this because of my graphics card upgrade to the ATI Radeon HD 4870). Problems? So far, none.

MacBook Pro late 2008: updated to 10.5.7 (to check if the flickering had been fixed). Problems? So far, none.

Both done via the ordinary update way (Apple --> Software-update). No extra actions like resetting permissions, using combo updater etc.

I guess most people will find their machine working as well as it did before updating to 10.5.7. Ofcourse, some experience problems, but the majority of the people won't. So, do you have to be worried, i say no.

14. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Of course, your mileage may vary, but for me, no problems with:

• Original 2006 MacBook Pro
    • 'Penryn' MacBook Pro
    • Original 2006 MacBook
    • PowerPC G4 Mac Mini
    • 2009 Mac Mini
    • iMac G5 (with iSight)

... that's a pretty decent sample of Mac models -- and I haven't had a single problem with the 10.5.7 update on any of them :)

15. youashwag thread starter macrumors regular

Wow thanks that is really reassuring for me :D

16. jla930 macrumors member

I've been reading that the combo update is the way to go, if you do decide to update.

17. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I think that if Apple thought that any one of the updates was unsafe for anybody's computer, they wouldn't release it. So I would say go ahead and install all the updates you have to install and live it up. It'll be just fine.

I've been doing combo updates for a while just to be safe, but nothing has actually ever happened. It's probably just a waste of time on my own part.

18. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I've been running 10.5.7 for a few weeks now with no problems. It's actually been faster than before when launching apps.

19. youashwag thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah your right, thanks :D

20. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I've had absolutely no problems on my aluminum iMac 2.8GHz or my aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz. I went with the Combo updater and did the whole Repair Permissions business, because that's what I've always done going all the way back to Panther. Ultimately the 10.5.7 update has been completely invisible for me, which is to say nothing appears to work any better or worse than under 10.5.6. :apple:

21. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

One man's experience.

I had big time browsing performance issues after installing 10.5.7. ...lots of spinning balls...if you catch my drift.

first I thought it was my ISP but I plugged a PC running Win 7 into my cable modem and had no issues at all browsing. then I call Apple tech support. After running a couple of utilities they found some pieces of old apps in the startup areas of OSX that were causing some of the problems. they They suggest I uninstall all 'startup' software like my virus checker....and bingo! Problem eliminated. 10.5.7 is all good. :D

22. youashwag thread starter macrumors regular

So is the problem 10.5.7 being caused by 3rd party apps?

23. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I downloaded and installed the 10.5.7 update through Software Update on the first day it was available with no problem whatsoever. Didn't even get the file signature error many got on the first day or so of using SU for the update. Seems it was just a bad file on one of the mirror servers Apple uses for updates. Reading through the thread on 10.5.7 install issues, most issues have been while using the combo update (system hangs, hard shutdowns required, etc.). I have always used SU for point updates and almost all other updates and never had a problem on my system. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones. I'm sure the next security update will require 10.5.7, so sooner or later you will need to update to it if you want to stay current with security issues on Leopard.

24. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

For my situation....absolutely.

Absolutely!

25. MotleyPete macrumors regular

I've installed it on a MacPro and an iMac. Both are running fine.