I'm a PC User now :-(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaceballl, Feb 14, 2008.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

In anticipation of the macbook pros, I sold my Macbook on eBay. I was hoping to be able to get a new mbp before i actually got rid of the old one, but alas, that was impossible. I'm writing this post on a Windows Vista HP laptop... yuck.

Ya know, it's been two days so far and this really makes me appreciate how bad Vista is / how good OS X is. I mean this is seriously not a very good experience here. Anyhow, I don't want to turn this into a Vista rant... just lamenting the fact that i no longer have adium, quicksilver, a dock, iPhoto, expose, the list goes on......

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

A good lesson to learn...good luck with the waiting process!

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

How about trying out Ubuntu? Its a fun experiment, and way better than Vista.

4. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Haha just cuz I hate being on vista, doesn't mean i regret the decision! I love buying apple hardware right after a spec bump and if that means I have to be a PC user for two weeks in the waiting process, so be it!
    Yeah I love Ubuntu - ran it virtualized on OS X sometimes. Right now i'm fine w/ using Vista. I'm using my work PC so I better leave the default install on there w/ my Outlook and all that stuff.

5. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i don't want to burst your bubble dude! but haven't you learned anything from this forum?? u said 2 weeks?? hmmm make your sched flexible.. and if you don't like vista, why not use XP? it's perfectly fine!:)

6. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Haha there's no bubble to be burst... could care less if it's two weeks, or two months - i'm not dumb enough to go buy santa rosa 65nm processors when Intel's 45nm Penryn chips are going to be out any day now!

7. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

In the same way that developing a mild cold is fine.

OP: Hang on in there :)

8. Skull21 macrumors regular

If you don't mind sharing, how much did you get for the macbook on ebay? I am planning to sell my MB to upgrade to the new MBP if they ever get released.

9. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yeah totally. I think I got way more than it was worth. I sold a "bundle" including the following:
    1) Macbook gen 1 (2ghz core duo) w/ 2 gigs of RAM and 160gb 7200rpm hard drive
    2) tom bihn sleeve
    3) STM laptop messeneger back
    4) mighty mouse
    5) some old iPod earbuds
    6) mini-DVI to video adaptor
    7) mini-DVI to DVI adaptor

For that, I got $1275. About $200 more than I was expecting. It's just sitting in my HSBC online savings account (well, that plus about a grand more), waiting for Steve to let me click buy!

10. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Is it really that much better? I mean it's free, but you don't have the same number of drivers or applications. That's what's important to most people.

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

wow, that makes me want to sell my Macbook Pro for a new MBP...

12. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

In my experience, drivers have been better in Ubuntu than Vista - a sound card and ethernet adapter I worked with were impossible to get working properly in Vista, but worked immediately with Ubuntu.

While there are not as many apps for Ubuntu, the important ones are there and great - VLC for video, Songbird for music, Open Office for an office suite.

Its faster than Windows to start up and to use.

Installing some apps is easy, easier than OSX even, but unfortunately its not so easy to install some apps found on the Web, and the original set-up can be tough for some. For newbies the file management is quite tough to get used to, but all in all its a great OS. Hardy Heron (due April 08) should make Ubuntu easy for even the least knowledgeable users.

13. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Yeah - I really don't get it. Every time i've sold a mac on eBay, I always get more than I'm expecting. I think it might be because when a non technical person sees "macbook", they don't understand that there have been multiple revisions to it, because it looks the same? Not sure your guess is as good as mine.

14. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

plus the fact that the resale value of apple is really above average. ;)

15. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

People who say Vista is "bad" either haven't used it for long enough or are just plain resistant to it. As software it's in no way bad - it's just you're used to a different one. Maybe give it a chance, try out the fantastic Windows Media Center and then come back in a year or so and share your views then?

16. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Hmm, but you were smart enough to buy a Vista laptop that you don't care for?? hmm. Your choice dude, not sure why you posted.. You didn't really HAVE to sell your Macbook, you could have just waited if you really wanted to use Mac OS X. I don't see your logic at all, you made a choice to buy something you didn't really want all because of a stupid processor upgrade, now you are stuck with an OS you don't even like.:rolleyes:

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Dumb enough to torture yourself with a PC until the new machines come out. :p

The joy of self inflicted pain, keep it up and they will stick you in a rubber room.

18. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Haha no. You made a lot of poor assumptions there. I have a Vista computer that my workplace gives me. I can work on that, or I can use my Mac for work. Typically I use my mac. The vista computer was collecting dust until now that I no longer have a mac. So now i'm just using it as a temporary computer until I get my new mac. I have everything backed up on a time machine drive, ready to be copied over as soon as I get my new MBP!

Furthermore, every time new macs come out, the older ones go down in value a bit more. It was a goal of mine to sell the old before the new, in order to minimize the amount of $ I'd have to spend on the new computer. Make sense, Mr. Negative Nancy? :cool:
    I dunno man - I used XP for a long time with old jobs, old computers, etc, and used OS X at home. Then when I changed jobs, they gave me a vista computer, but I just still continued to use my mac. After 48 hours on it, I can say that vista is not TERRIBLE. But, I mean, it's really no better than XP. Take XP, put a pretty layer of graphics on top, and add security to the point of it being annoying. SERIOUSLY installing stuff and running various system tasks is so tedious! And then you get vista. I mean in the end it doesn't matter that much... It's got firefox and all my work apps so that's all i need while i'm waiting for my MBP...

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

It probably has more printers drivers than OSX.

20. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

man don't even get me started w/ the problems i'm having w/ my HP All-in-one device w/ leopard!

21. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Ubuntu's biggest flaws, in my opinion, are...

1. Too much reliance on the Terminal (you can use OS X without it; completely the opposite w/U)

2. Lack of a truly attractive GUI (built-in, from the start, no Beryl/Compuwhatever.)

If they fixed these two, the OS would be much more appealing to Windows users (who, let's face it, are the people they're trying to convert). The first issue is a bigger deal than the second, but the second is still relevant. Basically, they need to go a lot further in simplifying the downing and installation of applications. When they get to the point where 99% of apps can be processed the way you do so on Windows or on OS X, people will truly be able to just download a disk, burn it, and install the OS. Until then, it'll remain something you need tech support for, which limits its marketability.

22. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ah, well I would have never wrote what I wrote to you had you clarified that in your OP. Notice that you never said your job gave you the Vista PC and your OP title says, I'm a PC User now because you couldn't get the new MBP before you sold your Macbook. Sorry but easy assumption that you actually purchased the Vista lappy. Also hardly any corporations are using Vista so I never expected that to come from your job.

Anyways it's all good, I like the "negative nancy" comment, that was hilarious. :D

BTW, am I safe to assume that you were brave enough to post a pic of yourself under your forum title?
    Anyways, just buy a new Vista lappy and forget about the MBP.

23. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Evil twin, actually!

24. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

There's hardly any software for Linux, it's not for the everyday user.

25. mcc2008 macrumors newbie

I know how you feel.... I have been using Vista fo 6 months now and I'm about to throw my computer out the window.....I HATE VISTA..... I'm going to be a Freshman at MSU in the fall and plan to buy my first Mac for college!:apple::)