I'm a pill pusher...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacZealot, Feb 15, 2008.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

..only the other way around.

My sister has the flu, so my whole family is taking Tamiflu, but I have problems swallowing pills. I can't trust to just swallow the pill without having the fear of choking, and I have tendencies to start chewing the pill, which of course tastes awful and means that I probably don't get all those wonder substances in my system.

I feel that this is something I should've outgrown by now, but I haven't. Has anyone else?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, I had exactly the same problem, I just couldn't swallow them. Some how, about a year ago I figured it out, now I don't have a problem.

3. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Just pop it in your mouth, drink a glass of water as you would normally (forgetting the tablet in your mouth), and it's down. Do that once or twice and your problem will be over. Tame that reflex!

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I used to have that same problem. I found that taking a big sip of water (without swallowing) and then putting the pill in my mouth works.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I might like to point out that chewing on a pills is not a good thing. A lot of pills have membrains in them designed to control how fast the meds enter your system. When you chew it up that means all of it is getting released at one time.

The pills are designed to be swallowed whole. Mashing them up complete destroys how they are designed and means your body is getting a all the meds in its system at one time (also means the effects do not last as long)

as for helping them go down. Try taking them with a mouthful of milk. It makes them go down a little easier than with just water.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I drink some water, put the pill on the back-half of my tongue, and then just drink water like I normally would.

7. monke macrumors 65816

monke

I used to be the same way but somehow managed to teach myself how to swallow pills.

I started out with ice cream and just experimented what I could swallow. Then I worked up to M&M/Smarties chunks and then to full pieces.

I hated not being able to swallow anything. :mad:

8. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

I got over this phobia 2 years ago, if you must...go down to the local ER, and take the pill there where all the doctors are. It sounds sortof funny, but it works. And if you really do choke, there are people there to save you.:eek:

9. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I have had this problem, but even if I had, I would have gotten over it when I had to take 14 pills a day for a month or so... 8 at once, 6 at once later in the day :eek: big pills too, roughly the size of a ping pong ball (combined) every day.

10. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

hmmm... most of the time when I need to take pills I just pop 'em.
    If there isn't any water around it doesn't phase me at all.

And I CANNOT take liquid medicine.

11. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I still hate taking my Once-a-day Men's multi-vitamin, so much so that when this bottle runs out (and it will soon) I am looking for a different/smaller multi-vitamin or just taking selected supplements.

And I couldn't swallow pills until I had my wisdom teeth removed, at age 20.:p

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm so use to taking pills that sometimes I just pop em without water....its a bad habbit I got and I'm trying to stop it.

Bless

13. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

I used to have migraines so often that I needed to either learn how to swallow pills damn fast or suffer in agonizing pain. Guess which one I chose. :D

14. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I had to start taking pills when I was twelve. I would stuff one into a piece of cereal or something and just swallow that. Eventually, I learned to do it with water, and then without. I take two pills every morning. Just pop 'em in and swallow them whole.

Once you do it the first time, it just takes practice.

15. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

When I was 12, I learnt a good technique on swallowing a tablet (with water). Think of just swallowing the water only (as if you're drinking), forgetting that the tablet is there. It works for me.

With some practice and doing that technique every time, I can now swallow tablets like a pro. :D

16. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Just swallow with water imagining its not there.]

You won't choke. The worst that can happen is it get stuck very shortly down the tract because you reject it and then depending on the type of pill it will taste like crap and you'll spit it out.

I'm pretty good at swallowing pills, I don't even need a glass of water, even though its best to take meds with water.

17. iRachel macrumors 6502a

This is what i do. I was 15 or 16 before I figured out how to swallow pills - I drink some water, add the pill, then add more water and swallow. Works everytime.

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I had problems taking pills up until I was about 22 :eek: It was due to the way I drink, basically i fill my cheeks before swallowing.

I spent a little while practising with Smints and eventually learnt how to swallow pills.

19. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

A pro? I'm not sure if I want to become a pro pill pusher...

:p

20. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I find it really easy, but when I didn't the easiest thing was to try my best to keep the pill as close to the tip of my tongue as possible (not as easy as you may think) and when you're trying just take a big drink of water.

21. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

my antibiotics are about the size of my pinky from the last knuckle up. no prob swallowing.

22. Schnebar macrumors 6502

Try drinking it with a big thick smoothie.

I have gotten so good now that I can swallow pills dry.

It probably is not that good for me though.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Some pills require you to take it with a full glass of water.

24. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

I still can't, and I'm going to be a doctor.

I need to learn, but I cannot get past the fear of choking. One time, I got food stuck in my windpipe and I needed the Heimlich, so that pretty much ruined the pill-taking exercise for about a decade.

Taking medicine other ways is a pain, but I can't get over the terror. I know I need to practice.

The advice on here is good, I'll take it under consideration, as I am tired of being embarrassed to admit the problem.

25. MLeepson macrumors 6502

Try putting it in spoon of apple sauce or yogurt, then eat it as normal.My cousin used to do that, and now he has no problem swallowing.