I'm A Pro User, should I still buy a MacPro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tekboi, Jun 8, 2010.

1. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

Now, since it's clear that Apple doesn't care about the Pro Market, would it be a wise decision to switch to PC. I mean, I don't want to drop over $3,000 on a machine that is 1 1/2 out of date. And I don't to put money into a product line that apple might end up being canceled by apple pretty soon.

Would it be wise to just buy a used MP from ebay or something or just forget my mac plans and get a PC workstation?

2. strausd macrumors 68030

Intel isn't supposed to start their mass distribution of the hexa cores til later this month, if I were you and you could wait til the end of the month, I'd do so. But if you need it, then go for it. You could always check Apple's refurb site if you're looking for a cheaper one.

3. Orange™ macrumors 6502

You know what, go to PC, you'll like it there more.

Bye

4. Ravich macrumors 6502a

If Apple were really planning on dropping the Mac Pro line, we would see the iMac become a bit more accommodating to pro oriented users.

That being said, if you dont feel like you need a mac, then dont waste money on one.

5. hexagonheat macrumors member

Just get a workstation. That's what I did. I'm fed up with Apple's limited hardware configurations and outrageous pricing/lag-time for hardware. I like OS X better than the alternatives but it's not worth the price when you think of it. Windows 7 is leaps and bounds further than XP and Vista were in terms of usability, stability, and security. I installed Windows 7 and virtualize Ubuntu where I will do all my online stuff and keep my sensitive data for even more security.

This way I can make a machine for about half the price of a Mac Pro that will be just as good in most applications and even better in others such as gaming since no one will restrict me from using a modern gpu. You will find it much easier and cheaper to upgrade components down the road as well.

There is a void in Apple's hardware lineup and if they fixed it I would buy a mac tower with an up-to-date gpu immediately. Until that time I am quite happy with my desktop.

6. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

Lone Deranger

7. Halamolo macrumors regular

Yes, pros should switch back to Windows, ´cause clearly Apple gives the middle finger to the creative pro community.

8. newmacnooby macrumors regular

fanboy u can leave with him. bye.

9. newmacnooby macrumors regular

im by no means an expert but you do what u gotta do, i mean i get you like apple and all but if you use your computer for work you just cant let your personal likes and dislikes affect your work if mac pro is just not enough get pc and with the money you save get a macbook pro or i mac for your personal stuff, maybe when macpro catches up (after hearing so many complains) you can buy one... well thats ust what i think, good luck with your choice.

10. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

very constructive.... /slap

If the current Mac Pro meeds your needs and you have a software investment then I see no issue. This whole must get updated systems or die attitude is pointless.

If you need a stable high end workstation and the MP sits within your requirements and budget then its a good choice. A comparable HP or Dell dual Xeon workstation class machine is about the same cost (please lets not get into the 'I can build it cheaper with i7 and gamer's parts argument').

I don't get some peoples attitudes about the 'outdated' MP. it does the job or it doesn't: its that simple for most people who earn from their systems. if it does then get one, if not then with wait or consider the options (switching etc).

I do not earn my main income from my systems so I am happy to wait and see, but when my budget allows I shall buy a Mac Pro (current or updated whatever is about at the time). Yes I would get a refurb if there is no update (to save serious pennies - PC World business often have current quads for about £1300).

at the end of the day your needs, budget and way of working will help you determine the answer.

11. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

12. joeco macrumors member

If an iphone is updated yearly why would you expect a pro machine to also be updated. It seems to me the lure of new technology is an addictive process. I work in a high end post production facility in soho, london. My workstation was 4/5 years old before I recently got it upgraded. The quality of work does not change with the upgrade but I do notice a significant speed increase over a 4/5 year old machine. I think it is very reasonable to have pro updates every two years no matter how frustrating it might feel, the speed increase of a year old machine is hardly going to fulfill the expectations. The desire to consume a pro machine every year seems wasteful.

ps im still happy with my 2006 mac pro at home and intending to wait till 2012 before upgrading.

13. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Maybe you should buy the current Mac Pro - but as a collectable. It could very well be the last Mac Pro. Maybe in 15 or 20 years it could fetch quite a bit as one of the last real computers Apple ever made. Sorry, it's hard to keep a cap on the bitterness.

14. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

No, it's not "clear" that Apple doesn't care about the Pro Market because Apple DOES care about the pro market.

Bunch of...

15. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Where is your proof? All signs point in the opposite direction....

Apple's lack of updates to pro hardware and software since the iToy era shows that their focus is purely with money making toys....

..they might care but i would say the care very little!

16. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

They make products for it.

17. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502a

mcpryon2

Mac Pros no longer work with "pro apps," go back to Windo...I mean, "PC."

18. Murray M macrumors regular

Murray M

Agreed.

Come on you all:

1) They make a MP in the first place
    2) They make pro video and sound suites
    3) They have for a long time

Don't loose heart just because they're a couple months behind. We're dissapointed because they are obviously spending much of their energy on a different product line. This is ok: the iphone, etc has solidified their biz model. Obviously, many of you who are freaking out didn't live through the mid-nineties as Mac users when everyone was predicting they would be going out of biz soon.

You wanna talk about scary? That was scary.

19. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Eh.. don;t you mean they MADE products for it!!!

Just because they are still manufacturing the mac pro and the macbook pro doesn't proove that they still care....!

If they cared they would be working on advancing the lines instead of rehashing them like they have for the past few years.

What happened to the innovative apple that we grew to love... they moved their creative minds to iToys.....!

I thought a company like apple would increase their workforce to compensate for the extra minds needed to develop new prodocts... instead they have taken all the talent from developing the Mac line to the iToy lines.

Hell its not like they cannot afford to increase the workforce instead of diverting existing staff!

20. Octobot macrumors regular

Octobot

+1

Ya'll wake up. Open your eyes. Breath.

21. VirtuallyReal macrumors member

22. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

Apple and the Pro Market (Professional and Prosumer in my case).

Keep in mind that many of the Pro hardware and software, when they are released are quite near cutting edge, the software is vastly complex. When we hear Steve talking about, we've been working on this (iPhone 4) for 18 months, how long do you think they work on other products.

There are obviously different prototypes, designs, as well as prototypes from other industry partners, be it intel, samsung, etc. Apple isn't just gonna release something when we want them too (although it'd be nice to see steady upgrades from time to time...).

We all should keep in mind that the Pro Market often leads the core Mac in terms of technology, mostly because they have the room, often times the tech finds its way into the consumer products but overall they often start here.

Expandability is another 'Pro' must, how many video professionals have a PCI-x/e/express that has a video decoder, breakout cables etc. There is no honest USB solution that will make the iMac Pro.

So in the meantime, and i know I'm one that has lead the pack, lets use our best judgement to buy or wait, and it's great to get feedback from other mac users. At the end of the day, we all don't know anything, and are all looking forward to 'next tuesday.'

23. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

If you need affordable rendering power the PC is the only way to go right now. If you have to use some pro apps like Soft Image or 3ds Max, again, go windows.

24. snowboarder macrumors 6502

Really? Because you say so?
    The pro market means nothing to Steve. iAds - that's something.
    You do completely nothing and collect a 40% tax.
    Why can you do it? Because you have a total control.

Mac Pro, FCP and the entire pro market is making Steve less money
    than a week of iAds. And compare the effort - pro support, unhappy
    pro customers with their annoying problems and issues.
    iAds - silent, but efficient. Cha-Ching!