I'm amazed at the lack of morals that some iPhone sellers exhibit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WolfSnap, Sep 27, 2014.

1. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

Every year I buy a few extra iPhone's to sell. It pays for my yearly upgrade, and normally only takes a few hours to do. It's a good return on my investment. However, this year, I'm noticing more and more 'slimy' resellers doing things that I'd never even think of considering doing.

For example, I had someone call me looking to sell a phone they got "free" at T-Mobile on JUMP. What's the problem? The seller needs to make payments on the phone, or it will turn into a brick in a few months... They're trying to sell a product they have never made a payment on! (Then, the ultimate end-user will end up paying for a phone that turns into a brick in a few months.. Great..) Oh, they also claimed it was unlocked (which it wasn't, since it was purchased from T-Mobile via. JUMP).

Another guy called me a bit ago wanting to buy Verizon phones, "even if they're on contract". When I mentioned that those phones might become blacklisted if the seller stopped paying for them, he said, "Who cares? I'm sending them to Mexico where the US blacklists don't matter".

Even on Amazon, there are people selling phones well below the full-price cost of the phone.. Why? because by the time the phone gets blacklisted, they're LONG gone.

It's pathetic, and criminal. And, I as an honest seller, pay for the phones up-front from Apple (i.e. full price, no contract, no payment plans, etc), and make sure the buyer knows exactly the model, color, size, etc. they're getting. I won't sell a T-Mobile or AT&T unlocked phone to a Verizon user (even though they'll technically work), because Verizon says they don't guarantee they'll work on their network. I'm honest, considerate, and knowledgable; and I'm being beaten out on price because I'm doing things honestly. The crooks are making a ton of money, and honest sellers are finding the sales harder.

Absolutely insane.

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

Morals tend to go out the window when money is involved.

3. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Who cares what they do. Do what feels right for you. You're the only one that has to live with yourself.

4. HenryDJP macrumors 603

It really shouldn't matter what people want to do with them, as long as it doesn't affect you personally.

5. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Absolutely. Welcome to the real world. I think sometimes we living in the US tend to forget that people living outside of our bubble (or heck even within it) don't abide by the same moral code as we do.

6. aajeevlin macrumors 6502a

Not to say that your observation is not right or anything. But I don't think you need to go through iPhone to know how ugly and dark people can be. Just want the evening news.

7. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

It makes me sad that that's the case... I'd be utterly pissed off if I bought a phone, spend a lot of money on it, and it turned into a brick because it was stolen (or not paid for, etc..).

8. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Believe me... the people in the US are not any more "moral" than people in other parts of the world. In fact, capitalism is the most selfish economic system that's ever been developed.

9. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

This is EXACTLY the reasons why I won't buy from anyone but Apple. I'd rather spend the cash and know I'm getting a worry-free phone.

10. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

That's also why it's harder for me to sell this year. People get afraid when there are criminals selling the phones. All the honest sellers get screwed.

11. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Resellers are profiteers/sharks regardless if they're honest or not. Why would people want to pay someone extra when they can just wait a bit and get the phone directly from Apple or an authorized reseller for less?

Those that get conned get a lesson - and perhaps more and more people have gotten tired with these 3rd party resellers legit or otherwise. If you're trying to make a little profit like $50 a phone or something, you should be able to resell just based on your past reputation/etc, but if you want to skin people's money then its no surprise you're seeing less people bite/buy cause of the gross markup.

12. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

You're exactly right. As a consumer, I don't have the confidence to purchase an iPhone from eBay or any 3rd party source, other than retail through Apple directly. I hear too many horror stories of empty boxes, locked iPhones because they're stolen, or Apple I.D. required because it hadn't been reset. I'd love to save money (who wouldn't), but I'd rather spend $599 for a brand new 5S at Apple, which I'm considering, than to save a couple hundred dollars on a mint 5S because of what total chaos it may later bring me.

I'm sorry these are the circumstances you face as a seller, but there are too many dishonest people out there and I refuse to be victimized and inconvenienced.

13. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

I'd say people who upgrade their phone every year are unethical and pathetic too through their perpetuation of a destructive cycle of rare earth mineral waste, shameless consumerism and exploitation.

14. WolfSnap thread starter macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

You're just jealous that you can't afford it.....

15. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Indeed. Ethical propositions that cast YOU in a negative light are merely jealousy, oh bubble-dweller.

16. paulink macrumors member

resellers complaining about other resellers? I've heard it all.

17. DancyMunchkin macrumors member

I agree with you, comrade. :rolleyes:

18. Narien macrumors member

So basically, you, an honest seller, is buying more phones then you need, so that you can sell phones to people who didn't get a chance to buy them from apple due o the fact that you and others bought more phone then you need, intending to make a profit and you are now mad that others undercut your brilliant scheme?

Let me explain it to you, you are not helping anyone, you are taking advantage of others, even if you may be one of the nicer ones out there, you are still buying a phone that someone else could have gotten.

No offense man but I find it hard to feel sorry for you...

19. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

^ one of the reasons I don't mind keeping my 5s until it breaks.

I got this game on my android phone back in the day, was pretty 'interesting' to say the least :(

http://www.phonestory.org

20. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Well you know what, I'm amazed at your lack of morals. I ended up with extra iPhones this year as I wasn't sure which model I wanted. I did the decent thing and returned them to Apple instead of making a quick profit out of those who weren't lucky enough to get one on launch day.

21. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

That's high and mighty! I've done a lot of travelling and the USA has no more morals than the rest of the world. People still value friends and family, will do anything to provide for their sons and daughters, and greed is everywhere. But so is friendliness, charity and altruism. You're no better or worse than anywhere else.

Alex

22. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Without capatalism you would not have what you have today. That includes the iPad and iPhone you worship so much. There is nothing wrong with capatalism except it is hated by those who do not participate.

23. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

Disallow carriers to lock phones. Would solve the problem.

24. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

You mean let people sign up for an Att/Next or Verizon/Edge contract, give them a $650+ smartphone, and just let them walk away without paying :confused:

Something doesn't seem right there...

25. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

They'd still have your details, so they can chase you up on the payments.