I'm an idiot. Need advice.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Flipadelphia, May 23, 2010.

1. Flipadelphia macrumors member

Last night, I was at Seacrets in Ocean City Maryland. I was dancing and my phone fell out of my pocket. I noticed when I starts jumping up and down for some reason, and I came down on top of my own phone. The Screen is shot, and the LCD is just blank and white.

I am eligible for an upgrade right now but I want to wait until the new iphone is out.

So what are my options?

#1 Get it fixed, how much am I looking at spending min-max
    #2 Go without a phone - No can do, I live alone and dont have a land line.
    #3 find a cheap alternative to hold me over.

Any advice for one and three would be greatly appreciated.

2. socbrian macrumors regular

3. Flipadelphia thread starter macrumors member

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Go on eBay and type contract free phone. See what you get.

5. tnisatard macrumors 6502

go to the AT&T store and buy a go phone

i think thats how it works, instead of using their prepaid sim, you just stick your sim card in

6. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

Check craigslist, get a cheap phone to get you by...

7. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Have you thought about learning how to dance? That booty shake can be a %$##. :D

##3

8. brdnboy macrumors regular

I personally would do #1. Depending on how bad the damage is to the rest of the phone it sounds like the broken parts could be replaced for about $50-$60. It would hopefully put it back to sellable condition as well so you sell the phone and put it towards the new one you are planning to get with your upgrade.

9. Flipadelphia thread starter macrumors member

It turns on. My alarm went off this morning. Heard an email alert.

I think it needs a new LCD and Screen/digitizer. I would not mind keeping it as a backup, or as an extra ipod.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Get a cheap phone to hold you over until apple releases their new iPhone. That's the best option.

11. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Get a cheap gophone from walmart or BB. Don't change your rate plan... keep everything, even the iphone plan. Don't call ATT.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lmao:)
    yep, go with 3 bro.
    Try a cheap flip phone from walmart or something.

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

14. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

honestly, you could probably find a free old cheap at&t phone online that will suffice for 2 weeks.

15. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I'd definitely get a cheapie phone to hold you over til the upgrade unless money's not a huge issue for you, in which case get it fixed and use it til you upgrade and then sell it (or keep it as a backup).

16. goldstmarc2 macrumors newbie

Sorry for your iPhone but....i was there too! Great night! Are you an SU graduate?

17. Drewsky87 macrumors 6502

Drewsky87

You sure they didn't flip the red light on and you were rushing to the bar for a 1/2 price drink? lol

I was supposed to be there last night, decided not to head down though. Good luck!

18. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Take it to an Apple store and get it replaced for $199. When the new phone comes out sell it for $400+ and buy the new phone.

Take the extra money and get dancing lessons. :D

19. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

It all depends on what type it was. I would think it (the $200 OOW idea) wouldn't be worth it if it was a <=3G, but definitely for a 3GS.

20. thebez macrumors regular

I don't know - I just sold my first gen on eBay for $200. I would think a 3G would go for more, especially if it was "fresh".

To the OP: Do yourself a favor, and buy a Motorola F3 to use as your bar/nightclub phone. You can buy them for ~$25 brand new, unlocked, eBay or Amazon. It will run forever on a single charge, the speakerphone is nothing short of incredible, and it is so tough I use mine as my coaster! One important note though, if you are on an iPhone plan and using any other phone - every time you get a voice mail message you will also get a gibberish text message. It has something to do with the visual voicemail.

21. cheeseblock macrumors member

first see if apple will fix it or replace it for free (go in the apple store and complain about your problem)
    or there are several 3rd party services, such as iResQ. They charge $79 for screen replacement. They also fix it pretty fast- in like 1 business day

22. Flipadelphia thread starter macrumors member

update. for the typical $200 fee apple agreed to replace my iphone with a new phone.

I figured the new phone was better than paying close to 100 for the new screen on my beatup phone (which the wifi sometimes wouldnt work and it would say no sin card sometimes)

Now I can either sell this phone, or have a practically flawless backup if I have any problems. Or use as an itouch if need be. I think it worked out the best way it could.